Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Mount

BooCrew Guest

GPS Mount

This may have already been posted elsewhere but wanted to pass along in case not.

We cache on a tight budget so cheap is our motto! I got tired of the GPS sliding off the dash or having to drive one handed but I was not going to fork out 30 some odd dollars for a mount. I found a cell phone holder at Wal-Mart for 4.92 that clips to the car vent and voila! My Garmin Gecko fits in quite nicely and it is adjustable.

Just thought I'd share.

Boo I looked at those but my 60c weighs so much that I think it would break the vent or the mount.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

BooCrew Guest
    Well like I've said..... we cache on a budget and I got the cheapest GPS I could find and it's the size of a cell phone so the mount works great for us! Of course now I'm wondering if the cheapness of the Gecko is the reason I really HATE micros!!!

Micros are just challenging the geko is just as good as a $400 GPSr it just gets you within 30 or so feet and then its up to you. MICROS RULE.

BooCrew Guest
    Dude, you are obviously warped! :P

hahahahahahahahahaha If you can find a micro you can find anything.

Geoark1 Guest
    Dude some of us have trouble finding them OUT in th open until someone kicks something for us . All part of the game in creates friends.

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Good for you BooCrew. I like working things out for my seft too.
    My Garmin GPS12 is heavy but I like the goto funtion plus it holds 4 AA's
    It doesn't have maps so I've never had to figure out a car mount. I did find a snap pouch at a gun show ($2.50 I think), that fits like it was made for it. I think it may have been for a radio.
    My new Maggellan Meridian Gold is lighter but much wider and flatter so maybe will be much harder to fit (at my cheeeeeeper is better price)
    The mounts and pouches they sell for it cost a lot and high S&H prices just irk me. I will take it to the Hunter Expo end of this month and see what I can find but the gun shows have a lot more stuff to experiment with.

No SD I don't think micros rule, I think they hurt. Just before the event I filed my first "DNF" because of a micro. Went back and got it the next day after the event and had no trouble finding it. I guess most caches are hid as well as the last person who was there wanted it to be but some people are just devious with them.
    Edit : I had one tooooo many A's in the bats

BooCrew Guest
    Dude.... bet you can't find my friends car keys! She lost them IN Cove Lake 4 years ago.

I, myself, have "lost" the Gecko twice. Fortunately I found it both times. I'd put in on the gas tank of the 4 wheeler while looking for the 6 Mile Creek caches and managed to run over it before finding it. Then I thought I'd left it at a cache site in the woods but found it in the trunk.

BooCrew Guest
    Jack, the Gecko doesn't have maps either but I have a nine year old that likes to watch the arrow and this avoids fights when mom needs to see which direction we're supposed to be going.

I was thinking of upgrading the GPS but Dude says there's no need the Gecko will work just fine. So instead, I'm going to start saving for a cache mobile. I got a brand new Malibu that I hate, hate, hate taking out in the wilds. It's not built for it. Love the gas mileage though.

So, I'm gonna keep my eyes out for an old 4x4 or truck that I won't cringe about taking down some cow trail.