Thread: Fall Caching on Nebo

Fall Caching on Nebo

For the first cool day of fall, it was off to Nebo for a hike and hunt. ORR had a great approach to efficiently grab these caches in one day, but it happened that one can do the 11 caches in under four hours. Check out ORR’s bookmark list of the Nebo caches. The first two caches are on AR 155 and quick grabs. Even if familiar with the mountain, a stop at the visitors center may be a good idea to get a map with the trailheads in the park to have an idea of where to drop down to the cache sites. One can also begin the hunt behind the center. Walk down the Nebo Steps trail to get GC16A2N, lose a little more elevation, hit the Bench trail, head east and up the Nebo Springs trail and pick up GC16FET. Once back atop the mountain stay on the Rim trail west of the center and head down the Bench trail to find GCYD2G. Back up to the Rim trail and across the park to GC16FEV and over to the vehicle at the center. Go to Sunrise Point and pick out the trail to the SW that meets the Rim trail nearby. Travel back to the east to find GCYD1K. Drive to the Gum Springs trailhead to the south. Go down this trail past/under the waterfall, hit the Bench trail (again) and walk east. In short time, one can find GCV9J6 and GCV59B. Backtrack west on the Bench trail to GCKG33, reverse course again to the east and climb to the Summit trail and find GC159FQ. Continue to the top of the mountain, go east on the Rim trail back to the vehicle. This is a fun outing with well placed caches in all areas of the park. Many thanks to those three gentlemen placing caches on Nebo. Worth all the walking.

If I didn't already know every inch of that mountain so well your description would sound really confusing. I'm glad I didn't have to find all of those in 1 day. That must have been a good hike.

Thanks Reid for your kind comments in your logs on your finds on Nebo. I'm glad you had a great day on the mountain! I think I will start a new thread for bookmark links so that everyone can share theirs in a manner other than looking on gc.com. -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen