Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for #1000.

Suggestions for #1000.

I am planning on reaching 1000 by the end of the year and I am trying to decide which cache it will be. I want it to be one that involves a good hike to get to. If anyone has any suggestions please post it here. I may even try to make it an event hike like Flannelman's earlier in the year.

A couple come to mind, and both require a nice hike. My first recommendation is "Marinoni Cache" (GCHF21), hidden in a magical area along the Ozark Highlands Trail. A second recommendation, also along the OHT, is "OHT # 2 - Railroad Bed" (GCH5YW). -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

cachemates Guest
    We have not found the two ORR mentioned, but I don't think you would be disappointed with Hawksbill Crag or Glory Hole.

Hawksbill Crag, Glory Hole after a good rain, Marinoni is GORGEOUS, Winding Stairs
    Pam's Grotto

I'm sure I'll think of more!

(Hey, Hawksbill Crag is the photo on the front cover of our Arkansas History books!)

Quote Originally Posted by topkitty98
    (Hey, Hawksbill Crag is the photo on the front cover of our Arkansas History books!)
    My daughter had this history book in school year before last. I looked at the cover and said "Hey, there's a cache there!"

The cahces mentioned in this thread are ALL caches that are on our "wish list" and we hope to one day make one of them a find no matter which number they happen to fall on

Hawksbill would be a perfect cache for our 1000th find because ddkds is afraid of heights and the photos of the crag alone make her nervous so it would be milestone for us in more ways than one.

Of all the suggestions so far Marinoni is the only one I have not been to yet. I have been planning a hike in that area since before I started caching. I just never did it yet. So far that may be my choice. I was also thinking of hiking the Redding/Spy Rock Loop Trail for my 1000th. There are 2 caches along the trail that I have not found and the Spy Rock cache was my first find back in October 2003 and I found it by accident. That is how I found out about geocaching. So I thought what better way to celebrate number 1000 than by revisiting my 1st on the same day. Keep the suggestions coming.

nonnipoppy Guest
    We would have suggested Glory Hole and Hawksbill Crag both but since you have done them I think that Marinoni would be the one. It is a beautiful spot. Have you done Pam's Grotto? That is also a special place.

enjoy.............poppy

I have not found the caches at Glory Hole or Hawksbill Crag but have visited both several times before I started caching. I found the Pam's Grotto cache on the way home from Flannelmans hike back in March. I really want it to be a place that I have not been before. That does not leave me with many choices considering how much hiking I did before I started caching.

While logging some of today's finds, I was reminded of a series of caches in Johnson County that few have found (at least all of the series) and requires about a 9 mile roundtrip hike, give or take, depending upon how far you want to drive in. The series is called the Wet Spadra Series, and consists of (1) We're Not Bluffing, Are We? (GCTPAA); (2) Don't Initial Here (GCTPEF); (3) Cold Springs -- AKA SpainHour Falls (GCTPEN); and (4) Wet Spadra Upper Falls (GCTPEW). I did these all over a year ago and the area is beautiful. I don't think a couple of them have been found again since my visit. I'm willing to bet you could get a group together who would be eager to go after this challenging series! -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen