Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All 4 SCCC caches muggled in one day.

DEEZER Guest

All 4 SCCC caches muggled in one day.

All 4 of the SCCC cemetery caches in Benton have been muggled in one day. They were each found on Saturday and all missing on Sunday. Any suggestions on what I should do? I don't want to put out 4 more decon boxes just to have them go missing again.

cachemates Guest
    Sounds like someone does not like cemetery caches, or needed some decon boxes. I would make them all micro's, change the location if possible, and make them harder to find. Not to many people will steal film cans, but there are always exceptions to that. If they come up missing you haven't lost anything. Just keep getting smaller if they continue to disappear.

That kind of report is so disturbing to the geocaching community. I don't know what to tell you except some geocachers put out caches and make them accessible only to Paid Members for that very reason.
    Of course thieves will be thieves and even the best locks want keep out the very determined.

Or like Cachemates says just put them in film canisters. That sounds like the best idea to me.

HikerRon Guest

what!?

my son and i found all four of those caches saturday!! and one was hidden really well...hard to believe it was muggled. i assure you, we replaced all four just as we found them.

Man, how frustrating is that.

This was not an accidental muggle. Someone purposely downloaded the coordinates and went out and stole them. I'm sure if he/she is watching this thread he/she is getting a kick out of it.

There is one other possibility however. Someone very new to the game thinks the object is to find and keep the cache container. Highly unlikely IMO.
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "

Lauri Guest
    I found all four of these a few weeks ago myself. I agree that either someone wanted the decon containers or, imo, it seems like someone doesn't like cemetery caches. Either way -- it bites. Sorry to hear about it. I still think it's a fun series and wouldn't want others to miss out so I would encourage you, like the others did to go smaller.

DEEZER Guest
    Thanks for all the advice & encouragment. I think I will archive these caches and start all over. I plan to replace each one with a micro in a different location. So I think I will just make them brand new caches. We'll see what happens.

I suggest you replace the caches with non-micros (to be consistent with your original intent), maybe put them in a slightly different spot (new coordinates), and re-classify them as Premium Members Only caches. That way, only serious cachers will have access to their location. -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

HikerRon Guest
    you could also make them all puzzle caches.