Thread: Want to adopt a cache?

Want to adopt a cache?

If you want to adopt a cache or trackable item, see the following link for instructions on how to do it:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... &p=2099537
    "Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?" -- Homer Simpson

RugerPilot345 Guest
    CW, since you are our State Reviewer I figure you can answer this question too....if there is a cache in the local area that still shows a TB or a Geocoin in it and we have sent the owner a note more than once that it is not there how can we get it off the list.......as you know it is so frustrating for new cachers (and old ones too, hee hee) to go to a cache expecting a TB or Coin and it not one be there......how can we get it off the listing??

Thanks in advance,

Joe (RP345)

I would email the TB owner, explain the situation, and ask them to mark the TB as missing.
    "Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?" -- Homer Simpson

RugerPilot345 Guest
    I did on three I know of in the local area last night, we will now see what happens, ha ha!!

Joe (RP345)

This post is to notify the Arkansas geocaching community about a change in the cache adoption policy.

Geocaching.com (Groundspeak) no longer allows non-consensual cache adoptions (i.e., adoption of caches owned by geocachers who have become inactive). If a non-active owner fails to take care of his or her cache, the cache listing will be archived after first being disabled and several warnings provided by the reviewer. Once the cache is archived, the location will be available for another geocacher to place their own, new cache. Of course, all current guidelines will need to be met and the appropriate permissions obtained.

If the cacher is still active, he or she may process the adoption to another cacher by following the process provided at the following link: http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

Chuck Walla
    Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Chuck, This seems like both a good and bad idea. The good side is people won't be obtaining someone else's cache for free. The bad is that the cache is still physically there "littering" if you will. I would rather someone adopt a cache than to have it sit forever in a tree trunk. Just my thoughts on this new policy.

Why not CITO it. If you know where it is and that it's been archived, do the environment and the geo community a favor and pick it up. Then, place your own there.

Sounds good Some places are to nice to be missing out on visitors because the cache has been muggled. Took two trips to the cache sugarload chimney in Heber Springs. Great hike up a nice trail and the last several cachers have posted DNF's. It would be nice if someone active in the area would take over the area. That way i have a good reason to go back !

brocherry Guest
    Is there a way to view a list of "Auto Archived" Caches? Maybe in the newsletter they could post a list of caches that need to be retrieved, and logged as removed?

dexterjg Guest
    I found one in a skirt lifter last week while placing munzees. I checked on my GC app and the closest caches was 430 feet from there. When I got home I was about to dry out the wet log and see who it was hid by. The cache had been archived for a few years.

If you are the one that retreives the archived cache from the area to prevent littering of caches, AKA C.I.T.O it, do you get credit for the find? Just a thought. Not sure how many I may or may not run across while munzeeing out there. Not caching much as much any more.