Thread: waypoint organization on gps

waypoint organization on gps

I was looking through gsak and I noticed it shows the symbols for the cache types; Traditional, Puzzle, Virtual, mystery, etc. I found this website that shows how to load up custom created waypoint symbols to your gps so you can have a similar effect on your gps screen. Instead of seeing open box or closed box you would now see traditional cache icon, multi cache icon, and others.

I have finally figured out how to use gsak for most all of my waypoint management needs. I learned how to modify the comments area of the waypoint so I can get the above symbols to show up in a text format. Here is that website

http://www.thepropers.com/geocaching...tomSymbols.htm

If you look here, I can download these files and edit them to what I want to use. Instead of a smiley face for found, I would use the default open box. I believe I can change the default geocaching symbol so the gps can still recognize what is a cache and what is a found cache.

This website shows some more info and references the above site as well.
    http://home.houston.rr.com/gpsr/#Waypoints

I am wondering who all has set their gps up this way and does it make it easier to filter through the caches you want to find? Also, does this make it less fun because you know exactly what your searching for or more fun because you can easily filter visually the caches you want to look for that day. I will probably attempt this in the near future so any help/info would be appreciated.

HUH??

Says the technical illiterate.

I use a Garmin gpsmap 60C. When I load my waypoints into the gps I see little treasure chests to symbolize where each cache is. There is a closed chest (not found) and an open one (found). Even though you can see all the caches you don't know what each cache is by looking at the main map screen(traditional, multi, puzzle, virtural, etc).

What this will allow one to do is to create CUSTOM waypoint symbols similar to those that are used on geocaching.com and in gsak. The good news is these symbols are already created and all we have to do is install and use them. Here is a screenshot of the symbols as they appear in the garmin gps.

This is a view from the main map. One can see the types of caches visually that are close to you rather than using text in the comments or other gsak manipulation.

Here are the pros and cons on doing this:
    Pros:

* Geocaching symbols to quickly aid in identifying cache types when viewing the nearest waypoints or viewing the map.
    * Quickly identify child waypoints (such as parking areas, trailheads..etc)
    * If you are using GSAK to include a "cache identifier" in the name or notes, it frees up those characters for other uses.

Cons:

* Loss of some of the "Geocaching Mode" functions of the GPSr (mark as found and find next nearest). This is due to the fact that Garmin has only instituted 2 cache symbols for geocaching mode; A closed treasure chest (for not found caches) and an open treasure chest (for found caches). Although you can switch these symbols to anything you wish, you are still limited to only 2 symbols.

Now I can break it down even more if I have to, but I have not finished doing this setup myself. I'm going to try it out this weekend and see how I like it. Let me know if I have confused anyone else or if anyone has any questions.

Jason

Excellent information!

I don't have a 60 series, but I think I would like being able to see what type of cache it is on the main map screen, without having to push any buttons. Let us know how this works out for you after doing some real-world tests...

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

It's Done!

I have set my gps up so now I can see from one screen what type of cache I'm going towards. I can now tell via symbols that look like those on Geocaching.com and in gsak. I know have a "parking" symbol for cache parking coordinates and a "puzzle piece" symbol for puzzle caches.

Now, all I have to do is wait for my pocket query to come in with of all my caches. Load it up into gsak. Then send to my gps from gsak. That is it.

I followed the directions on the above page and used the zip file that they had available. I chose to set my gsak up manually instead of using the macro. I wanted to pick which symbols did what for some of the not so popular caches. I will post some screenshots of the Russellville area so everyone can see what it actually looks like.

I still have my by who and container type displayed in the comment fields. Even though I have a pda, this will hopefully let me find more caches without the need for hints or other info. Let me know if I can help anyone out.

Jason

I guess you should have prefaced the original posting stating that all of it was ONLY for the Garmin 60 series GPSr.
    I enjoyed the read anyway.

Actually the website says it will work with most garmin models. The ones he has tested are

* 76 series
    * 60 Series
    * Legend C
    * Vista C
    * Quest 2
    * May work on all eTrex C and Cx models(?)

Hope this helps. I'm still working on getting some time to take those screenshots.

Here are those overdue screenshots. My Wife and I used it over Labor Day weekend and I believe it helps out alot. When going to a destination, it is nice to see which caches are around us. This way we only look for the regular cache symbols so we don't detour too much by looking for other cache stages. I hope others will try it out. Enjoy.

Here is an image for most of Russellville. You can see the parking coordinates, archived caches, and puzzle caches.

Here you can see the multi-caches better along with a few mystery caches.

Close up of the multi cache, mystery, and regular cache graphics.

Here you can see the parking coordinate symbol up close.

Here is the Event icon for "Clarksville or Cacheville, You Be The Judge".

I could show more data than what is seen here, but the more text you want to show up, the more memory it takes up. This shows the difficulty and container type that is sent to my gps from GSAK. I may try and add the cache name to this depending on how much storage I lose.

Last picture for those who want to know what all symbols are without clicking on any other links.

I have done this to my 60CSx and love it. Really makes it nice to look at the screen for the types of caches. When you find one and enter it as found, it shows up as a smiley Very neat...