Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: By the Numbers

I just checked and the New total for Arkansas is 4003, we finally did it 4K
    Congratulations to all the cachers who have been placing caches, I am so happy for every cache placed, lets not stop here.
    I would also like to thank our poor(underpaid and overworked) volunteer reviewer CHUCK WALLA on all the caches approved by him/her. I am pretty sure that Chuck has approved more caches than anyone else in Arkansas.
    FANTASTIC JOB, CHUCK!
    It is a thankless job dealing with so many different personalities and trying to improve caching in Arkansas.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Now, can we make 5000 by 09?

I don't know if rklmbl is still keeping count, but here's some news. On 11/1/07, rklmbl said that October 2007 was a record setting month for caches published, with 189 caches coming out that month. Well, I'm happy to report that July 2008 now holds the record, shattering the old one with 326 new caches coming out that month! Three dates stand out:

July 14 -- 59 caches published (most of which were part of the ParkCache series)
    July 18 -- 47 caches published (most of which were for the breakfast event held in Hot Springs)
    July 6 -- 38 caches published (don't know the significance of this date, except that it was at the end of the 4th of July holiday weekend)

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to take a nap. I'm tired.
    "Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?" -- Homer Simpson

gespurr Guest
    My family is responsible for 4 of those

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWalla
    Well, I'm happy to report that July 2008 now holds the record, shattering the old one with 326 new caches coming out that month!
    WOW!!! 326 caches in July! Way to go!

Hey, rklmbl, how many caches have been published this year? It must already be a record! Or at least we're well on the way to setting one.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

There are currently 1427 active geocaches in Arkansas that were published in 2008. I know there have been several published have been archived already that aren't included in that number. At the end of 2007, there were 1597 active geocaches--currently 1405 active 2007 geocaches...nearly 200 archived in 2008. So, all that being said, we are well on our way to breaking records in 2008. I knew Chuck Walla had been publishing caches right and left during July, but 326---WOW!!!!!!

Current active cache numbers by year published are:

Year - Number of Caches

2000 - 1
    2001 - 15
    2002 - 42
    2003 - 112
    2004 - 261
    2005 - 408
    2006 - 923
    2007 - 1405
    2008 - 1427

Total - 4594

I keep my records by the date on the geocache page, not the date it was actually published. So, if someone dates a geocache page in April or May but it doesn't actually get submitted to Chuck Walla and published until July, it will show up in my numbers as an April or May cache. That was the case with a lot of the State Parks caches. A lot of them were published in July but dated as far back as April.

And, in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I have to say about that." mbl

Been playing with GSAK. Thought people might find this interesting. As of my last database update, there were 4774 active caches in AR. Below is a table of those with 50 or more owned caches.

Last weekend Woodwalker celebrated his 5K what about Arkansas.
    It looks like we are 53 away now and it would be nice to see the state hit a milestone before the end of the year.
    Does anybody want to add a few to our state this year?
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

I have a couple in place already and will get them approved early next week when I get back from Texas. I have a few more almost ready. I too would like to see there be 5000 by the end of the year.

We didn't make it by the end of the year, but we made it!
    Happy 5K to everyone in Arkansas who has placed caches for us to Find.
    I can't wait to see the numbers, I hear that adding machine whirling from Morrilton. It was a good year for Caching In Arkansas.
    I would like to thank everyone who has hidden caches this year.
    Poor Chuck Walla has had to approve all those caches.
    Maybe you should have negotiated a better pay scale

Thomas A. Edison