Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Premium Membership: Worth it?

While researching some geocaches in the Jackson, MS area, I saw the following note contained in several caches:

Originally a PMO Cache (Just for 30 Days!)
    This was initially listed as a Premium Members Only cache as I think all geocachers should do their part to support Geocaching.com. It was opened to all members 30 days after being published.
    PMO = Premium Member Only. I thought this was a neat idea and made me realize that as a Premium Member, I am supporting Geocaching.com! And the website has been pretty good to me over the last few years, giving me the key to hours of enjoyment in the great outdoors almost every weekend! -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Team_Pink Guest
    Pocket queries would not be complete without GSAK. GSAK is a ~$30 database program that lets you manage the information in the pocket queries. You can slice and dice the data any way you want. Let's say you are going somewhere (short trip) and want to load the GPS with all the caches between you and your destination. Pull up GSAK and tell it to show all the geocaches north of your home for example. Click send to GPS and your ready to go!

If it is a long trip, you can use the route feature on GC.com and do the same.

There is a new Geobuddy program from Topografix that looks pretty cool. It costs $100 and it has some formidable competition in GSAK.

HikerRon Guest
    all the obvious reasons are stated above. also, the money supports the website.
    without that website, there would be no geocaching.
    it's the best entertainment bargain i can think of.

HikerRon Guest
    concerning Premium Member only caches, i started out with all my caches as PM'Os. then i changed my mind and opened them all up thinking i would get more logs and finds. didnt happen. at least not enough to matter.
    but i did get some of my caches muggled, stolen, vandalized. after someone left me a note saying ' i stole your cache because i needed parts for my spaceship' (?) i changed some of my caches back to PMOs.
    some people think (or hope) they will get a better grade of cacher by making their caches PMOs. i dont necessarily agree. not in my experience.
    currently, i have caches of both types out there.