Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cemetary and Church Geocaches

HikerRon Guest

cemetary caches

having recently moved to AR from Colorado, i'm really enjoying the caches placed in cemetaries. they can be in very secluded locations, very quiet and peaceful. if there is anyone at the cemetary, i just move along. i would never disturb anyone visiting there for any reason. i find the history very interesting, and i enjoy looking at the headstones and epitaphs.
    in Colorado, there are very few caches in cememtaries, and i think the ones that are there were grand-fathered in when they decided not to permit any containers in cemetaries. there are a few virtual caches out there as well.
    as for MY headstone, it will probably have a Garmin compass page on it with a 'go to' arrow', hopefully pointing straight up with 'distance to next' being
    'unknown'

HercRx Guest
    Hiker Ron-

Your idea for a headstone RULES!!!

Thanks for your input. This has been a very interesting thread. I'm glad folks are so good about talking nicely on this forum.

HercRX

geowoodstock Guest

Re: Cemetary and Church Geocaches

Don't forget that you just might be trespassing when finding all the Tram-law caches or fast food places or any other "public places" with caches that are actually privately owned.

According to the general censes in here those need to be approved by the owner of the land as well.

This being said a lot of land (and buildings) that businesses are on are not even owned by the business itself, but rented/leased from another party. You are talking about a long period of trying to get permission before even finding the correct person who can grant the appropriate premission for a cache to be on their land.

I'm not trying to be the devil's advocate, but I don't know of too many cachers who would not take the time to obtain the 3rd party's persmission much less the city's or the governing body's permission before placing a cache.

As an individual, responsible for your own actions, you must proceed with caution AND CARE when finding any cache whether it is on private or public land.

HercRx Guest

Re: Cemetary and Church Geocaches

Quote Originally Posted by geowoodstock
    Don't forget that you just might be trespassing when finding all the Tram-law caches or fast food places or any other "public places" with caches that are actually privately owned.

According to the general censes in here those need to be approved by the owner of the land as well.

This being said a lot of land (and buildings) that businesses are on are not even owned by the business itself, but rented/leased from another party. You are talking about a long period of trying to get permission before even finding the correct person who can grant the appropriate premission for a cache to be on their land.
    This is an interesting thought as well. I have done a few of these caches and often have wondered if anyone (in charge) in the store or restaurant knows or approves the cache. Granted, the big owners in Bentonville might not know or approve a cache, but shouldn't the approval of the store manager or leasee be enough? After all, they are the ones beholden to the service their big bosses. Also, the question deserves to be ask....with Tram-laW's global reach don't we think that they knew about geocaching and formulated their stance long ago? Surely a cache has been found by a muggle employee, brought to the attention of someone in charge who has talked about it at length with corporate.

Regardless of any of this....the bottom line still stands: All geocaches placed on private property should have permission from the owner or administrator. AND...it is a warm fuzzy feeling to see proof of such permission on the geocaching page.