Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cemetary and Church Geocaches

HercRx Guest
    Sorry! I need to explain my self. My use of the word "creepy" refers to the way that I feel when I'm geocaching and there is someone not too far away that is obviously grieving at the grave of a loved one. It just feels wierd, thats all. Geezer did bring out the point I was looking for though.....and I wondered the same thing....why do we not have permission from most of the landowners?

nonnipoppy Guest

Re: Cemetary and Church Geocaches

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer_Veazey
    ..............You struck on one thing that too few people pay attention to, namely:
    Quote Originally Posted by HercRx
    ....especially when there isn't a note on the cache page saying that the owners of the cemetery or church gave permission.
    ....................You cache hiders need to get your act together as far as cemeteries go. Get permission and post details of the permission in the cache description. I would hate for a Sherwood police incident to happen in one of our fine cemeteries.

Geezer
    This is a great point! But saying you have permission on the cache page does not mean you really did get the permission. On the other hand having permission does not require it to be put on the cache page. I daresay that 90% of the cemetery caches in Johnson County ARE placed with permission. We even have cemetery board members as cache placers. Just as we have church members placing caches at their place of worship. In one instance the cache was placed by the music director of the church.

Everyone is different but we prefer to assume that ALL caches are placed with permission. If in fact we find that is not correct we will deal with that situation when the need arises and spend no energy worrying in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by nonnipoppy
    Everyone is different but we prefer to assume that ALL caches are placed with permission. If in fact we find that is not correct we will deal with that situation when the need arises and spend no energy worrying in advance.
    Just like you, nonnipoppy, we assume that everyone is playing by the rules and has gotten permission before placing a cache.

However, it is VERY comforting when the owner explicitly states on the cache page that permission was received. Even better would be to know the person or body that gave that permission, although this is not always appropriate or feasible.

I'm not saying everyone should start doing it that way, but as a seeker, it IS reassuring to see it.

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

HercRx Guest
    Does anyone think it should be a requirement to put a note on a cache page to annotate permission from a private landowner?

I know it would make me 100% more comfortable to search for a cache when I knew before hand that I wouldn't be met by an angry or just extremely overcautious and suspicious landowner/ mourner/ church pastor. Its nice to see when a cache page says "This cache was placed with permission of (insert name here), landowner and caretaker."

We need to be extremely careful to uphold the reputation of the sport we enjoy through good stewardship of parks and private property alike. As a one-time private pilot, I can attest to the damage that can be done to a sport once public opinion begins to turn against it through misunderstanding.

In this day and age just one 6 o'clock news story about a "tresspassing geocacher" could lead to legislation that makes our sport much less enjoyable and accessible.

HercRx wrote:
    In this day and age just one 6 o'clock news story about a "tresspassing geocacher" could lead to legislation that makes our sport much less enjoyable and accessible.
    Consider the turmoil in South Carolina in 2006. Efforts in the SC House to severly restrict caching in an number of public venues (including cemeteries) ultimately failed in their Senate, but only with herculean efforts by the State geocaching group. This arose after some foolish cachers posed next to a tombstone in a less than repectful manner. The photo of this created quite an uproar. Not tresspassing per se, but...
    To your first question. Though I'm not sure we need testimony on each cache page that permission has been obtained for the placement, it would not hurt if there was any question about property ownership.

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HercRx
    Does anyone think it should be a requirement to put a note on a cache page to annotate permission from a private landowner?

HercRx Guest
    I'm glad we're talking about this. I think we started a good discussion!
    !!

Geezer_Veazey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nonnipoppy
    Everyone is different but we prefer to assume that ALL caches are placed with permission.
    A lot of bad things can happen when you assume (pronounced ass'u'me'). Whenever a cache hider makes a representation I take them at their word. If they are silent on permission, I assume that permission was not sought. Oftentimes I deem the risk not sufficient to deter me, but not always. To me, the ideal situation as a cache hunter would be to have the permittor named in the cache description for possible future reference, if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by OEnavigator
    I think one solution would be to provide that info to the reviewer and have he/she verify and then place a note stating:

Cache placed with permission of owner verified by reviewer......
    This would work for me, but it may be putting too much of a burden on the reviewer who is a volunteer and I imagine already under a pretty heavy load.

Geezer

P.S. I just hit the preview button and got a chuckle when I discovered that the host software changed my pronunciation of 'assume'