Thread: Puzzle caches -- Like them or hate them?

Puzzle caches -- Like them or hate them?

We really enjoy placing and solving puzzle caches. Since coming to NWA, we've placed a couple, but there don't seem to be a lot of folks finding them. So, are we wasting our time putting them out? Are they too hard? What IS too hard?

Feedback appreciated.

*TnT*

I love puzzle caches! However, there are many times that I won't look for one simply because: 1) I don't have the time to invest in it at the moment 2) I didn't do my prep work before I got there.

We have only placed one puzzle cache and have found that (probably for the reasons above) cachers visit it less than half as often as our traditional caches.

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

I tend to agree with Gaddiel. Frequently, they get loaded into my GPS and only when approaching that I recognize it's a puzzle. Occasionally, I have the time and will work on the puzzle over lunch and find the cache. More often, I return home, work on the thing and return another day (unless it's mile away). I know some who eliminate them using the filter in GSAK. They are challenging, do take time, but are rewarding.

OB1kenOB Guest
    I tried the "we forgot" caches this weekend and couldn't understand what the "puzzle" was. One location was in the middle of a street. Another location was in the middle of a fenced in private lot. With no clue of what to look for or what the locations meant I lost interest, but at least enjoyed the bicycle ride around town.
    There are a couple of caches at lake wilson that are kind of "puzzle" caches (different stages with clues at each find, or triangulations) that I have really enjoyed.
    Welcom to NW Arkansas. It's pretty cool really. Looking forward to crossing paths with you one day.

Sorry you had trouble with our "We Forgot" series. In what we consider to be a puzzle cache, the coords will most usually be in the middle of street or the middle of nowhere (so to speak). A puzzle cache will usually require that you solve something before leaving the house, but when you do you'll be armed with the coords for that hide. tnt06's "The Apex" down in Fayetteville is a good example. We consider triangulation caches to be a variation of multi-caches, since you can usually do them without having solved a puzzle of some sort at home. Not to say that they aren't fun and challenging...

So, anytime you see a puzzle cache from us, you'll have to do something to figure out the coords before leaving home. That being said, once the FTF has been claimed, we have no problems giving hints. After all, the primary purpose of a cache is to be found. The primary purpose of a puzzle cache is to teach something.

So, don't give up on them. Many times, solving a good puzzle gives one much more of a sense of accomplishment than does finding the most difficult of regular caches.

Team Dooley Guest
    Hey TnT. We've found a couple of your geocaches and I've figured out 1, 2 and 3 of 'We Forgot' but just haven't been out to find them. I may be contacting you for a hint on 4 and 5 but I'm not giving up yet. I enjoy puzzles but we're concentrating on traditionals right now. Thanks for all your hides.

Gruizzer Guest
    I like the puzles caches sometimes. But I agree they take time, and for these We Forgot ones, you kinda have to a second kind of geek as well.

redink Guest
    I am puzzled most of the time!! some I do and some I don't,but I do have one I'm working on, just to return all thr favors.