Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I gotta get some mapping software!!

flannelman Guest

I gotta get some mapping software!!

I'm going to Port Aransas, Texas this August for a deep sea fishing trip and I want to get some mapping software to use with my laptop and my Etrex Legend. I'd like to upgrade my gps but I don't think the boss will let me yet!! Anyway, what would be some good map software to get??

I'm already scoping out caches in the area too!! I just hope I can squeeze in a few minutes to find some. Ok, ok...... I hope my caching doesn't interfere with the fishing trip!!

We use Microsoft Streets and Trips. It works great with both our eTrex Legend and our Magellan SporTrak Pro. The latest version also includes a navigator thing with voice prompts that is similar to the higher dollar in-car navigation systems. It also comes with a Windows Mobile version called "Pocket Streets" that I use on my phone...

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel
    We use Microsoft Streets and Trips. It works great with both our eTrex Legend and our Magellan SporTrak Pro.
    Are you saying that you can load maps from MS&T into your Legend and your SporTrak Pro? I'm having a hard time believing that.

Geezer

Q Guest
    I would guess he means transferring points, not maps.

I downloaded usaphotomaps for a donation. May not be a cadillac but not 100 bucks either. You have to download maps and/or sat photos of your area you are working with.

Have fun. I came up here from Lake Charles years ago. Say hi for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer_Veazey
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel
    We use Microsoft Streets and Trips. It works great with both our eTrex Legend and our Magellan SporTrak Pro.
    Are you saying that you can load maps from MS&T into your Legend and your SporTrak Pro? I'm having a hard time believing that.
    No, not at all. I guess that post WAS a little confusing, wasn't it?

All I meant is that we can interface both GPSrs with MS Streets and Trips to do real-time mapping, similar to a navigation system. I don't believe there is a way to transfer ANY waypoints or maps...

Flannelman, were you talking about wanting the ability to transfer maps and waypoints between your mapping software and the GPSr? If so, I'd stick with the Garmin mapping software for that.

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

flannelman Guest
    Well I was originally thinking of transferring the maps to the gpsr. But I found a pretty good deal on streets and trips with the gpsr bundled togather. I think I'll get that and use it on my laptop as an in car nav system. I'll just need to get a mount and a car adapter for my laptop.

RugerPilot345 Guest
    If you are looking for good secure vehicle computer mounts look no further than........!!

http://www.ram-laptop-mount.com/

Happy hunting!!

Cool!!

kevnjenn Guest
    Does anyone know if the Delorme Earthmate GPS LT-20 & Street Atlas USA 2008 bundle is any good? I found a copy of it on base for a reasonable price. All I have seen anyone mention is Microsoft, just wondering if anyone had recommendations for or against Delorme.

Q Guest
    I like my book by them. Never heard about their software.

Does anyone know if the Delorme Earthmate GPS LT-20 & Street Atlas USA 2008 bundle is any good? I found a copy of it on base for a reasonable price. All I have seen anyone mention is Microsoft, just wondering if anyone had recommendations for or against Delorme.
    Delorme makes great maps for streets and TOPO, plus a USGS topo not dissimilar to NatlGeo TOPO. I have the new SA2008 which is an improvement over the 2007. The LT-20 is a small receiver for a laptop. They have a new handheld, the PN-20. It's best attribute is it's ability to toggle through mutiple layers of maps; street, topo, USGS topo and aerial maps. Other than that, it's not so special. I cannot remember, possibly in the DeLorme Forum, but someone has compared it and the Garmin 60C/Sx. The latter seems to win out slightly. But back to the original question, DeLorme maps are great. If you are doing a lot of road travel and like the laptop to run the program, the GPS is good as is the software.