Thread: photographing benchmarks

photographing benchmarks

I was curious as to how we are supposed to take photos of benchmarks. i think I read in a GC forum that you should have three? I've only been taking two for now. They may not even be right. I could really use the advice... Thanks!

Phantom_491 Guest
    As far as I know photographs are not required, however they help the NGS verify the find. I usually take 1 or 2 pics of the mark w/ my GPS to show the coordinates. Sometimes I take a pic of the area around the benchmark for reference purposes.

See My log for Petit Jean Mtn BM, or 1949 for a couple of good examples.

Thanks. I really didn't know much about it and I couldn't remember if I had read it or not. I really want to learn how to do it right. I have reported some to the NGS but I've never sent a photo. I steer clear of the GC forum because I mistakenly logged an AHD benchmark as a find instead of the proper one and actually got hate mail from a more seasoned hunter. He even posted a note on the benchmark page! Anyway, I appreciate any advice I can get. I really enjoy hunting benchmarks. I usually don't even use my GPSr when I go.( just to record coords when I get there) I even volunteered for The National Map Corps[/] I should have my quadrangle any day now. Thanks again and anybody reading this feel free to pass along any information you might have.

If you just want to log a find on GC.com, I don't believe there are any real requirements. It's based on the honor system, similar to that of logging a cache find.

However, if you are asking about submitting a recovery report to the National Geodetic Survey, there are some fairly strict guidelines. I found this information on the NGS web site:

How to submit digitial photographs to NGS:

Take 3 photos if possible, one close-up showing mark with stamping visible, one showing the entire monument, and one showing any nearby witness features to aid in identifying the location, and any significant obstructions to satellite visibility.

Detailed guidelines are also available at:
    http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PROJECTS/INSTRU ... ements.pdf

Hope this helps!

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Thank You!! That's what I needed. I don't know why I just didn't go to the source in the first place. I really appreciate the help.