Thread: Caching off a bike.

flannelman Guest

Caching off a bike.

I just got a moutain bike and have started doing some caching with it. I went out to two rivers park and picked up a few caches there while on the bike. I is a lot of fun and great excercise!! Does anyone else cache this way? If so, what handlebar mount would you suggest for my GPSr?

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend.

cupstack Guest
    I have biked a bit with my GPS (Garmin eTrex Vista Cx) - I purchased one of the bike mounts made by Garmin and it work very well (purchased from amazon.com). I not only use it for geocaching but to record my regular ride routes, etc.

Mine GPSr came with a bike mount adapter, so I just had to buy the handlebar mount portion. Looking at Garmin's site yours did not come with a bike mount adapter.

Handlebar mount kit (includes new battery cover with adapter):
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=744

Small diameter Handlebar mount only (without battery cover and adapter):
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1057

Large diameter Handlebar mount only (without battery cover and adapter):
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1056

RugerPilot345 Guest
    go RAM mounts for all your speciality GPS mounts, they are great!!

www.ram-mount.com

Cool!!

I use the Garmin handlebar mount also, for my eTrex Vista C. Works great! I highly recommend it. I bought mine through REI. -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

flannelman Guest
    I've been biking on the NLR side of the river trail and at Two Rivers to do some caching and have just been using the lanyard for my GPSr. It works ok but I have to keep stopping to reacuire the signal. The unit seems to go a little crazy once I get to the location of the cache. After a a few minuets it settles down and I'm able to find the cache (most of the time). Has anyone else had this problem while biking?

Using the Garmin handlebar mount with my GPSr, I have not experienced that problem. Even when not geocaching, I use the GPSr to show me speed and distance, and it always provides a good reading. The mount keeps the unit in the correct position so that its antenna can pick up the optimum signal for your location. -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    If you decide to "engineer" something don't forget about velcro. Stick it on your bike while pedaling and pull it off while searching. It would be really handy. I've got mine velcroed to my camera bag.

I got mine localy at Sportsmans Warehouse it was like $10 I think and its for the yellow etrex wich I use for a spare. I love it.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

flannelman Guest
    Thanks for all the info. When I get it all togather I'll let ya know how it works.