Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In need of advice

RugerPilot345 Guest
    Whoa Whoa Whoa ArkGeo, me pick on beautiful piney woods Fort Polk and lovely Leesville, never, ha ha!! I have spent a few days down there and yes sir even a night in the Red Cedar Inn or someting like that, quite a classy establishment......and yes our good ole Arkansas has some fancy places too, ha ha enjoying life and seeing the world!!

Cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldRiverRunner
    It's interesting that you mention the Ft. Smith area. Were you at Ft. Chaffee, by any chance? Last summer, I was geocaching there and picked lots of ticks off me all day long. After getting home that evening, I had my wife check me and she picked off at least a dozen more! A few days later, I started feeling pretty bad (flu-like symptoms). After hearing about the ticks, my doctor ran a blood test and it confirmed I had picked up some kind of virus. A shot and a prescripiton later (about 1 week), I was back to normal. So beware the Ft. Chaffee ticks! -- ORR
    I put out some more ticks this years to slow everyone down at Chaffee.
    I only go out in the winter!!!!!!!!!! LOL

NOW it makes sense! Chaffee is really a tick farm and they're being served cachers for food

RugerPilot345 Guest
    well really it is a secret experimental government military tick farm......but the cachers are food....that part is unclassified, ha ha!!

Cool!!

Finally got to test another repellent. My son and I went hiking around Foran Gap and applied the Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus IR3535 Expedition Plus SPF15. My wife's idea. She read about it in this month's Backpacker magazine. It's a really good article which reports their results of a lab test they performed using several repellents.
    When we parked at the trail head, I was getting attacked by the biting flies before I even got my pack from the car. After we applied the Avon I was left alone for the entire hike. Around 1 1/2 hours. No ticks! The trail is primarily a mountain bike trail so there is a lot of tall grass that we had to hike through.
    All in all I was impressed. It works well and is safe for kids Now I don't have to worry about the kids growing a third arm
    The article did say that it doesn't work as a sunscreen though. (Since you should apply sunscreen more frequently than repellent) Not a big issue with the canopy though.
    Only neg I can really think of was the weird odor. Which really wasn't as bad as what we smelled of when we were done. It really feels greasy to.