View Poll Results: What is your opinion on 'member's only' caches?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it is a great way to give premium members a cache that an average Joe Cacher can't get.

5 26.32%
  • I think it is bad to restrict a cache to just a selecet few

10 52.63%
  • I don't care as long as I beat ______ to the cache for the FTF.

4 21.05%

Thread: Member's Only Caches

Phantom_491 Guest

Member's Only Caches

What is your opinion on 'member's only' caches?

I submitted a poll for this post.

RuffRidr Guest
    Generally I think member's only caches (MOC's) are a bad idea. The purpose of a cache is to get people to sign your log. Why restrict the number of individuals who can do that?

The feature I do like about MOC's is that they allow you to see who has viewed your MOC. I wish they would make this available for regular caches (maybe to premium members).

--RuffRidr

Boy, this was a tough one. I finally voted "I don't care". This has been a big debate on GC.com, and it seems like MOCs are being much maligned on the forums there these days. I can see both sides. MOCs are a great incentive to premium members, but at the cost of alienating non-premium members.

As for us, we probably won't be placing any MOCs, since our goal right now is to help the sport grow in Arkansas. Plus, like RuffRidr said, we like to see our caches get logged frequently. However, I wouldn't mind if someone else chose to do one.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

I don't like MOC's because I want my caches to be see by everyone and logged be everyone. Thats my 2 cents
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

cachecrazies Guest
    We personally don't like MOC's. We hide caches for the "average Joe Cacher" to find and enjoy. The idea of a "select group" to find our cache is totally unacceptable to us. There have been a very few MOC's placed in our area but we've chosen not to look for them.

We are premium members in gc.com but only to support them - not for "the privilege" of finding a few select caches. Maybe if you put hundreds of dollars worth of goodies in the cache it would be different - but most of us don't - so what is the point? If geocaching closed down to all but an "elite" group we'd opt not to be a part of it.

And to quote Gaddiel -
    since our goal right now is to help the sport grow in Arkansas.
    and we don't have an overwhelming number of cachers in the area a MOC would defeat the purpose of drawing in new people. We're probably among the most active cache hiders in our county right now - imagine the lack of activity if we changed them to MOC's!

I personally do not like MOC's. All the caches that I have placed in the Searcy area were done so with the idea of promoting the sport and also my community. I too am a premium member in gc.com and, like the cachecrazies, became one to help support the site. I have never hunted a MOC, but to be honest, if one appeared in my area I can not say that I would not. As I reflect back on the beauty that I've seen, the history that I've learned, the unique areas that I've visited, I am so thankful that these caches are available to everyone, so that all may have the same experience that I have had. As Gaddiel stated, my goal is to promote the sport in my community and in Arkansas. Therefore, all my caches will always be open to the seasoned cacher and the newbie alike.

Rusty_da_dog Guest
    Well, since my membership as a premium member ran out, and I am yet to renew it. I would have to vote against the MOC caches. as I think it was cachecrazies that said, its not like the MOC caches contain hundreds of dollars worth of trade items, so I think it is harmful to the overall development of geocaching as a whole.
    Just my opinion of course.....
    Cya on the trails,
    Rusty

chili36 Guest
    I obtained a premium membership for the sole purpose of running queries and going "paperless" on my geocaching.

At first, I wasn't too thrilled. Once I figured out how to do it, I can't really see doing it any other way.

Personally, I wouldn't establish a MOC, but even before I upgraded the idea of it didn't bother me.

GEO Guest
    I had one MOC,no body ever logged it at all and was finally archived due to lack of activity.
    They say you are to treat these MOC's as any other cache but you are limiting it to paying members only.
    One of those double negative like you ain't suppose to ain't.
    Ain't ya.