Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDA Problems

cachemates Guest

PDA Problems

I am having trouble with my Tungsten E Palm PDA. I can't get it it Hot Sync. I have tried the Soft reset. That did not fix the problem. Tried the Hard reset, but it won't reset. It is like it is stuck. Everything else works fine. Anyone have any ideas what to do, besides the Whack with a Hammer method?

Does your Palm use the serial port to sync? If so, make sure there's nothing else trying to use that COM port.

However, if you can't do a hard reset, it sounds like a bigger problem. Can you just remove the battery?

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

cachemates Guest
    I tried to load caches for the Burns Park Event Friday night, and it just would not work. I did not do anything different than I always do.
    I have tried ever since Friday to get it to work. No Luck, So I posted on here for help.
    I come in from work, hook it up, hit the hot sync and it worked like nothing had ever happened. I don't understand it, but I sure am glad it started working. It has done that before.

It seems if you really need the caches loaded before a caching trip, Thats when it won't work. Murphy's Law I guess.
    Thanks Gaddiel for your help.
    I love paperless caching.... When it works.

Ltfightr Guest
    You know, I'm having the same trouble with my Palm m515. I think mine is more related to how old it is. The only thing that works for me is to restart my computer.

Diana

cachemates Guest
    Ltfightr
    You know, I had not turned my computer off for a few days when I was having trouble with my pda. Our electric had been off a few hours the day it worked. After starting the computer again, it worked the first time I tried to hot sync.
    I will keep that in mind, If it does it again I will try the re-start method. Thanks for the info.

RugerPilot345 Guest
    Hang tough Jerry......as my brother in law the "mechanical/electrical engineer" would say......I am sure it is purely logical and you must have made a mistake, yeah right.......but my philosophy is it had better correct it's logical self or I will correct it with a hammer, ha ha!!

Good luck and sometimes just turning everything off and walking away for a few hours fixes all, too funny!!

Cool!

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    "Cachemates", sounds like you got bitten by the "haven't rebooted in humpteen months" bug. It is good to reboot computers every 24 hours. Some run for weeks with no trouble, but then the first time something goes wrong people forget. In the evening just before bedtime, click on turn off-restart. It'll then be ready for you with a fresh reboot the next morning.

May your cup run over and all the other blessings of Psalms 23 rest upon you.

Geezer

flannelman Guest
    I just got a new to me PDA and spent a couple of hours getting it set up to work with my laptop. I took it out today, after a mind-numbing class at work, to Burns Park to pick up a few caches. I work with computers and PLCs on a daily basis, sometimes I just want to shoot them, and I have to completely dump the power to a machine to get the computer to reset more often than I'd like. I guess it's better than riding dinosaurs to work though!!

cachemates Guest
    Thanks Geezer for the good advise. I did what you said. Before I went to bed, I Booted it. It worked so well, tonight I am going to Re-Boot it.

You have helped me in the past with computer stuff I knew nothing about, You will probably get to do it again in the future.

HikerRon Guest

tungsten E Palm

my tungsten E, 3 yrs old, has been very disappointing. it is the most finicky piece of electronics i've ever owned. i was also disappointed when the power button died, and found out i only had a 90 day warranty. but i found a solution on the web on how to 'get around' the power button issue.
    since then, i've had it crash many times. battery-time is poor. and i've never been able to get anything over onto the 128mb card i bought for it.
    but i endeavor to persevere. the 28mb basic memory has sufficed so far.
    but i dont worry so much about losing it, or leaving it behind at a cache somewhere now. i'm already dreaming about a new PDA.