ArkGeo Board Meeting Minutes January 11, 2013
ArkGeo Board Meeting
Agenda for January 11, 2013
Immediate Past President: Richard Lee
President: Chris Denton
Executive Vice-President: Ron White (Resigned)
Treasurer/Secretary: Judy Vaughn
Website Manager: Kevin Cackler
ROUND-TABLE DISCUSSION (6:00-6:30) Start conference call recording
CALL TO ORDER (6:30) ROLL CALL OF MEMBERS PRESENT
Board Members present:
Chris Denton, Richard Lee, Tim Stone, Judy Vaughn, Jim Sick, Ron Laster, Kent Uhrich, and Morgan O'Neal
Visitors present: Maribeth Laster and Pat Vaughn
January 11th, 2013
We are coming to the end of what is traditionally our most quiet quarter of the year. This quarter proved to follow suit of other years.
As of Friday, January 11, there are a total of 269 registered voters, giving us an increase of 2 since last quarter, and 16 since the July 1st 2012..
We are sad to report that Ron White is stepping down from the board due to medical concerns. We offer our prayers for healing in the coming days and look forward to caching with Ron again soon. Also a BIG THANK YOU for his service to the board and Arkgeo the last year and a half. This will leave another opening to fill for next years election, so we look forward to hearing nominations from our membership when that time for open nominations comes due.
Arkgeo hosted no events in the last quarter. We are looking forward to the spring and getting our meet and greets going.
The ArkGeo web site still continues to perform well and once again I would like to thank Kevin Cackler for all his hard work keeping us going. It is much appreciated.
A great big Thanks to all of those who volunteer and spend some of their time promoting ArkGeo and geocaching in the state of Arkansas.
Prepared by Judy Vaughn
Arkansas Geocachers Association Treasurer's Report
October 12, 2012 January 11, 2013
$201.71 in PayPal Account
Sold 2 Geocoins
Website Manager's Report Website going good, nothing new to report.
Election Committee: prepared by Chris Denton (Board Liaison)
The election committee has had a quiet quarter, but understands next quarter will be the one where things need to get done.
The committee now consists of Flannelman, Sjclimber, Topkitty98, and board liaison Cpdenton.
Flannelman indicated this will be the last year he serves as chairperson, and sjclimber will be moving to Colorado and this will also be his last year. We will be putting out the call for members to volunteer for this committee and also to be willing to run for board positions in the next election.
Fund Raising Committee:
We have sold 2 coins via PayPal in the last three months.
We have plenty of everything except car decals.
Community Relations Committee: prepared by Kent Uhrich (Board Liaison)
1. Pat (Woodwalker), Judy (MathSeeker), Jim (sayitagain) and Richard (IRBH) attended the GIS event where ArkGeo had a booth setup. There were lots of interest and discussion around the booth about ArkGeo and geocaching. Thank you all for working and attending. ArkGeo donated two t-shirts as door prizes.
2. Osceola Rotary Club - After many attempts to reach them, I finally heard back and a date was set. Butch (Butch724), called and worked out the details for a late Nov meeting. Day before the meeting Butch was called and the meeting was canceled. New date was not set, but looking at Jan or Feb.
3. ArkGeo was mentioned again in FTF Geocacher magazine!
Events Committee: prepared by Jim Sick (Board Liaison)
There have been no ArkGeo events held since the last board meeting. However the events committee did check into several places to hold the annual ArkGeo annual meeting and cookout. Since the annual meeting is once more scheduled for June efforts were made to find a spot where some of the activities could be held in doors out of the heat. Their efforts were centered around places where camping would be possible for those wishing to camp and also a location where those wishing could gather in the evening for the annual cookout. Mount Magazine and Lake DeGray indoor air conditioned meeting areas were both booked for the days we were wanting. There are meeting rooms at Lake Dardanelle State Park which would cost $350 for a day and ATU Lake Point in Russellville which would be $300 for the day. Both areas said that it might be possible to apply for a grant through their A&P commission and we might possibly get one that would help offset the expense of rental on the facility. Another possible location that was suggested was the Arkansas Game and Fish Witt Stephens Central Arkansas Nature Center in Riverfront Park in Little Rock. When the Nature Center was contacted they were very excited about the possibility of having the annual ArkGeo meeting at their facility. They have a multi cache on site and are very much into promoting geocaching. They have a classroom that can seat around 60 and a huge exhibit hall available in the afternoon that can accommodate up to 150. Since our goals and mission are very much the same as Arkansas Game and Fish they said that we would not have to pay for the use of the facility and they would work with us to get some of the Game and Fish officials better informed of what we do as an organization and the benefits of geocaching. In addition we could take advantage of visitors coming to the center and possibly recruit more people into the sport. They are open on Sunday and we could possibly have some type of CITO on that day as there are several trails around as well as a wetlands area and this is all in Riverfront Park which can always use some picking up. Although there are no camping facilities on site camping is available both in Burns Park as well as Maumelle Park both of which are not far away. Although holding our annual event at this location would involve some challenges we still feel that the benefits derived from actually having one here, the biggest of which would be opening up new dialog about the possibility of revisiting the Arkansas Game and Fish policy on geocaching would be great. This being said the events committee would like permission from the board to actively proceed with having the annual meeting in Little Rock at the Witt Stephens Central Arkansas Nature Center.
Membership Relations Committee: prepared by Judy Vaughn (Chairperson)
Current Membership Relations Committee Members:
Ron White ronwhite (Board Liaison) Resigned 1/6/13
Judy Vaughn MathSeeker (Chairperson)
Justin Murphree arkfiremedic
Morgan ONeal drmo913
Sharon and Glynn Simmons Flyfishingcachers
Chris Dickinson - Saint Aubie
Membership Relations Committee Activities:
Selected Arkansas Geocachers to profile on the ArkGeo website:
November Justin Murphree aka arkfiremedic
December Jim and Sandy Fryar aka likestocanoe
January Richard Honebrink aka Rhone
Revisiting the newsletter idea with a new format. Hoping to have a newsletter ready to send out February 1, 2013.
- Possibility of selling coins on ebay Chris will set up an ebay account to sell coins
- Annual Meeting Location and date - Motion made by Chris Denton and second by Jim Sick. Motion: Get Central Arkansas Nature Center for the Annual Meeting and CITO the next day. Motion carried. Date is June 8 and 9.
NOTE: Possible camp out in April
- ArkGeo History update -Wayne Lunsford is working on our written history. No new update at this time.
- Update on ArkGeo Communication with Reviewer Chris Denton to talk with Reviewer at Paris Event *update. After a great talk with Chuck Walla at the Paris event, he addresses all the concerns the board had to the best he could. We thank him for being open to discussion about these things. We mutually decided that working together from this point forward was a better solution for the game and arkansas Geocachers as well. We look forward to partnering with him in the future to provide a better game for the arkgeo members and all Geocachers across the state.
- Selection of 2013 executive committee:
Kent Uhrich will fill the vice president position for the rest of this year due to the resignation of Ron White.
2013 Executive Committee Starting in July
Immediate Past President: Chris Denton
President: Kent Uhrich
Executive Vice-President: Jim Sick
Treasurer/Secretary: Judy Vaughn
Website Manager: Kevin Cackler
- Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Board will make contact with AGFC and research their policy on geocaching.
- Committees Morgan O'Neal will serve as Board Liaison for the Membership Relations Committee. Judy Vaughn will serve on the Election Committee.
Next board Meeting April 19, 2013
End conference call recording.
NOTE: A special THANK YOU to Ron White for his service to ArkGeo. May your health improve greatly.