Re: Got the GPSr, Palm Pilot and Home PC synched , but
Originally Posted by mountainborn
There are probably many different ways to do each step and I'm sure everyone has their own reason for doing it their way. But this is how we do it.
Our most often used pocket query is for the 500 caches, that we have not found, closest to Clarksville. We get some in Oklahoma and some in Missouri.
We get this query about three times a week.
When needed we then save that zipped file to a folder on our desktop named "Ark Not Found".
We then open the .gpx file using GSAK.
First we export the entire file to a Garmin Mapsource file and study where there are a group of caches we might want to seek and stay familiar with caches in our area that we might not be aware of.
We make use of GSAK's great capabilities by generating the caches with waypoint names that are the GC number less the GC. ( this comes in really handy when logging multiple cache finds.)
We also add a"+" if the cache is supposed to contain a Travel bug. Lastly we get a final discriptor to tell what type of cache it is without looking at the PDA. (BTW a Palm IIIxe)
This would make a waypoint possibly appear as M51T T. If there were a travel bug assigned to this cache it would read M51T+T. The final T signifies a traditional cache. M=multi V=virtual Y=mystery etc.
When logging I read nonni's note and just add GC to M51T to go to the cache page. Then the next cache can be reached bu entering the GC number at the bottom of the logging page.
After we have satisfied ourselves with the map we d/l the waypoints to the Garmin 60 CS from MapSource.
Then we export to Cachemate using the same waypoint scheme. So as we are caching I can look at the gpsr screem and say to nonni that the next cache is M51T. She reads the info out loud from the PDA. And off we go.
After you feel comfortable with GSAK try some of those special tags and see if you can make it better. If you desire send me an email and I will send a screen shot of the GSAK settings that work for me....poppy