PDA

View Full Version : Triangulation Caches

idratherbehiking
04-02-2007, 12:11 AM
I ran into another cacher recently that asked me if I knew of any triangulation type caches. The only one I could think of was one that TheGriswolds hid at the Bona Dea Trails in Russellville. How many more are out there?

Gaddiel
04-02-2007, 07:10 AM
I ran into another cacher recently that asked me if I knew of any triangulation type caches. The only one I could think of was one that TheGriswolds hid at the Bona Dea Trails in Russellville. How many more are out there?

Could you explain what a "triangulation cache" is? I don't think I've heard that term before...

Wayne

idratherbehiking
04-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Check out the archived cache (GCJCXD) by The Griswolds. It has a very good explanation of this. My sister has told me of a similar cache in the Round Rock Texas area.

idratherbehiking
04-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Here is part of their cache page with the explanation.

To find this cache you will have to find Rabbit Run 1, 2 and 3. Each of those caches contains a distance to this cache. You will need to find a minimum of two of these micros. If you only find two, there will be two possible places this cache could be. If you find all three of the micros, this cache will be pinpointed.
You can find the three micros in any order, however numerical order is recommended.
Now, about this Triangulation stuff.
Using each of the distances found in the micros, you will be able to triangulate the information to discover the location of the final cache. The 'scientific' method is to plot the points on a sheet of paper and draw distance circles from each. The cache will be wherever the three circles intersect. For instance, if the three waypoints were 317, 475, and 370 feet away from the cache, your drawing might look something like the attached picture.
For mathematicians, a piece of graph paper and a mechanical compass might come in handy. For the rest of us regular folks, simply use the 'Go To' feature on your GPSr and try to figure out where you should be so that you are the correct distance from each micro. This would be a lot easier with two Geocaching friends, with each of you doing a “Go To” for a different micro.

This cache was an interesting twist from the normal caches that were around at that time.

kittzle
04-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Cardinal has several up here in the NW Arkansas area..... they make my head spin, LOL. One of these days I'm going to have to get him to give me a lesson. He tried to explain it once on email, but I couldn't figure out step one, much less the rest, LOL.

Here are some to look at: GCZ5TZ, GCW0Q3, GC10X39

jcblough
04-03-2007, 09:45 AM
That's a very cool idea. . .
If you wanted to do a "short" version you could simply give bearings from 2 caches, project them out, put the cache at the interection.