PDA

View Full Version : The Clarksville cache event.....FINally.........

nonnipoppy
03-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Clarksville Or Cacheville, You Be The Judge (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4fae264d-b27a-44d5-b541-bfe139ae955d)

idratherbehiking
03-08-2007, 10:54 AM
I have requested to be off work that day and the day before. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help with preparations.

Phantom_491
03-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I'll be there! Let me know if you need any help w/ the event! Thanks for what is shaping up to be one heckuva event.

PS: I'll be collecting NASCAR related TBs to take to Talledega with me the weekend following this event.

PSS: I'll get with the SLAGA (St Louis Area Geocachers Association) (http://www.geostl.com/SLAGAPostNuke/index.php) folks to see if they can provide me with anything from MOGA (Midwest Open Geocaching Adventure) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f5eca219-fd65-4a2e-9a1f-40d92c6ec089) for either giveaways or maybe just a brief presentation about the MOGA event. I'll also advertise this event at the MOGA event while I am there. Maybe we can get more of our neighbors from the north to visit.

cachecrazies
03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Not much question whether we'll be there or not! Looking forward to it again! We'll watch for further updates.

kittzle
03-13-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm so excited I can't sit still anymore, LOL. I had such a blast meeting everyone last year. I was super overwhelmed, but it was a blast. And besides, I got on TV, LOL.

Can't Wait!!!!!!!!!!!

nonnipoppy
03-14-2007, 09:28 PM
GC11AEA (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4fae264d-b27a-44d5-b541-bfe139ae955d)

Clarksville or Cacheville, You Be The Judge (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4fae264d-b27a-44d5-b541-bfe139ae955d)

Event Registration Begins at 8 AM we expect to finish around 2 PM

There will be a livestock show nearby so dogs are requested to stay at home.

Please read the entire cache page, there is lots of information here.

The following companies and/or people have made donations to this event. Thank them when you have a chance and choose them when possible.( additions as we get them)

First Security Bank
Best Western Sherwood Inn
Johnson Chevrolet
CacheMates

Planned activities at this event include:

• A local Historic Places Virtual Poker Run, a new twist on an old game with great prizes.

• We will have a GPS accuracy contest. Test your unit and your skills against others.

• New this year will be a Cache Container Camo Contest. Show your stuff and camo a container. Entries will be judged by vote of the attendees. NOTE: Please plan to donate your entry to be given away at this event. Depending on the number of entries we will attempt to award prizes in regular, small and micro categories.

• Kids Korner where there will be planned activities for the the young cachers by the Johnson County Librarian Ms Kathy Jones (one of the 2Js).

• A temporary Kids cache.

• Cache that the Easter Bunny Forgot. A temporary cache similar to the chocolate cache of previous years.

• Training classes in four subjects:

9:00 AM Geocaching 101
9:30 AM How to correctly log travel bugs and geocoins

10:00 AM Pocket Querys and Paperless geocaching
10:30 AM Geocaching Swiss Army Knife

• Travel Bug and Geocoin swap. If you plan to swap an item in your possession feel free to drop it into the event and send the tracking number to Golfnutz at michaelsview@gmail.com If you are bringing a collection of coins of T/Bs not for trade please furnish a list or be prepared to email a list to attendees who would like to log your items.

The meal will be pot luck so bring what you can.

Please register for this event by sending the following info for each attendee
clarksvilleevent@gmail.com This will allow us to have name tags prepared and plan the items needed to fill out the meal.

Geo name of each attendee:

Real Name of each attendee:

What potluck item are you going to bring:

I want to attend the following classes:

___________Geocaching 101

___________ How to correctly log travel bugs and geocoins

___________ Pocket Querys and Paperless geocaching

___________Geocaching Swiss Army Knife

Friday arrivals we will have dinner at 7PM @ a restaurant to be announced. All are welcome.

Saturday night we will have dinner at Western Sizzlin’ at 7PM.

flannelman
03-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Will there be special geocacher rates at the hotel like last year?? I'd like to come up Friday and stay till Sunday morning.

nonnipoppy
03-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Will there be special geocacher rates at the hotel like last year?? I'd like to come up Friday and stay till Sunday morning.

I'm pretty sure that there is always a geocaching rate from Golfnutz.

The Best Western phone is 479 754-7900.

Hope to see you then Will........poppy

Rhone
03-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Looking forward to attending this event for the third time. These Clarksville events are always a great time. Thanks for all the effort you guys put into them.

Lauri
03-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Any decent camping in the area? I'm new to camping in Arkansas and am not sure where things are! haha

nonnipoppy
03-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Any decent camping in the area? I'm new to camping in Arkansas and am not sure where things are! haha

Spadra Park is just south of town on the river and Horsehead lake is northwest. Both have camping and caches within the immediate ara. Caches in each park are Spadra(GCT9BA) and Horsehead (GCMWCP).

Come on down!

Team_Pink
03-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Looks like a tough decision for us. Captain B's company is going to be showing off one of their little boats in Memphis on the same day as the Clarksville event. I REALLY wanna see what 10,000 horsepower looks like! If we don't make it to Clarksville, you guys have a great time. I know poppy and company put on a heck of a shindig and I know a good time will be had by all.

If we do get to make it and you see a little oriental girl and her name tag says Mya, give her some room. She has been known to eat too much of all the good food at this event!

nonnipoppy
03-20-2007, 09:48 PM
We expect more than 20 new caches to be approved and go live in this area in the next seven days. Possibly more soon.....Make your plans.....look for a new and improved GeoPark in the Clarksville area.....Film at 11.

Lauri
03-21-2007, 06:34 AM
Great! I might have to take off Friday to head up early and get to caching! :D

ARWindstalker
03-21-2007, 11:34 PM
I've missed this event for the past couple of years so I'm glad I finally get to attend one. Couldn't have happened at a better time either...I've got some catching up to do!! See ya'll there!!

Lauri
03-22-2007, 05:28 AM

Spadra Park is just south of town on the river and Horsehead lake is northwest. Both have camping and caches within the immediate ara. Caches in each park are Spadra(GCT9BA) and Horsehead (GCMWCP).

Come on down!

Thanks, I called Spadra Park and they said to just call a few days ahead of time and they will save one of the tent spots. I think that's where I'll end up. I'm taking Friday off to drive from Hot Springs, get camp set up, then get some caching done in the area before meeting up for dinner on Friday night! :D

nonnipoppy
03-22-2007, 05:33 AM

Come on down!

Thanks, I called Spadra Park and they said to just call a few days ahead of time and they will save one of the tent spots. I think that's where I'll end up. I'm taking Friday off to drive from Hot Springs, get camp set up, then get some caching done in the area before meeting up for dinner on Friday night! :D

Great we are looking forward to meeting you......poppy

DAFT
03-24-2007, 11:19 PM
We are familar with the COE park at Spadra, but was wondering if there is parking available ON SITE for motorhomes. We could "dry camp" if no hook-ups are available.
We are fulltime RV'ers, now in Arizona, but coming back to Arkansas in early April. New to geocaching, having been introduced to it out here. Really looking forward to getting active with the Arkansas group.

nonnipoppy
03-25-2007, 06:05 AM
We are familar with the COE park at Spadra, but was wondering if there is parking available ON SITE for motorhomes. We could "dry camp" if no hook-ups are available.
We are fulltime RV'ers, now in Arizona, but coming back to Arkansas in early April. New to geocaching, having been introduced to it out here.
Really looking forward to getting active with the Arkansas group.

Actually on site the answer is no. But across the street is an empty parking lot for the city owned Marvin Vinson Multi purpose building. I feel comfortable that that would be OK.

To add some insurance the Mayor is going to sign a proclamation declaring the day of the event Geocaching Day in Clarksville. I will get his permission for you to park there......poppy

DAFT
03-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the info and for your help. We look forward to meeting you and others...kinda like "geocaching" for friends! :lol:

Spice
04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
I have already posted a "will attend" on the event cache listing and my wife (ddkds) and I are looking forward to the event.

We just started caching a short time before last year's event and did not get to make it, but we will be there this year.

We are making a big weekend of it.

We are attending the event then heading to MS for a day or two. We hope to do some caching during the trip too.

Most of all we look forward to seeing those we have already met and those we haven't at the event.

paris1time

nonnipoppy
04-15-2007, 08:54 PM
************ Info***Info*******Info**********

Friday evening at 7 P.M those who would like to gather we shall have mexican food at El Parian 2. All are welcome to join us. This restaurant is directly across the street from the Best Western. Enter downstairs the door faces the Best Western.

If you would like to volunteer to help out at the registration table please send an email to mailto:clarksvilleevent@gmail.com.

We are looking forward to the cache camo contests. We will have three size divisions regular, small, and micro. So get those things ready and show us what you got.

Thanks to all that have offered to help we will be needing you during the day.....

nonnipoppy
04-19-2007, 08:32 AM
The Schedule of Events for The Clarksville Event:

Clarksville or Cacheville, You Be The Judge!
Schedule of Events

Welcome! Hope you have a wonderful time today. There is nothing better than meeting other geocachers, the greatest people in the world. Well, finding caches just might be sort of better, but you’ll do some of that today too.

8 am – Registration Begins

8 am to 11:30 pm – The Games, The Geo Classes

You may log each of the caches that you find (7 Poker Run Caches, Kids’ Cache, Cache that the Easter Bunny Forgot) using GCVF6Y, The Logging Cache Part Deux. Please specify the cache number/name in each log.

Historic Virtual Poker Run – Each geocaching team that wishes to participate in this game must complete the run by finding each site (all sites are buildings on the National Register of Historic Places in or near downtown Clarksville) and answering a question about that site. Bring your completed sheet to the Clarksville or Cacheville registration desk at the Johnson County Fair Building no later than 11 am. Only one sheet per geocaching.com name will be allowed. You will receive an envelope with 1-7 playing cards, one for each correct answer. We will all open our envelopes at the same time and check our cards to see who has the best poker hand. Prizes will be awarded accordingly. Remember: Do NOT open the envelopes. We will open them together at the Event and determine who has the best poker hand. You may log each Poker Run cache that you find by signing your envelope with your geocaching name and turning it in after we open them. No need to do this if you choose not to log them online.

Kid’s Cache – This cache is for the kids or anyone that remains a kid at heart. You will need to sign the log in the cache if you choose to log it online.

Cache that the Easter Bunny Forgot – Sorry to tempt you dieters with more candy, but let’s see if you can stay on the wagon. Please sign the log in the cache if you choose to log it online.

9:00 am – Geo Classes – Geocaching 101
9:30 am – Geo Classes – How to Correctly Log Travel Bugs and Geocoins
10:00 am – Geo Classes – Pocket Queries and Paperless Geocaching
10:30 am – Geo Classes – Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK)

9:30 to 10:00 am – Kid’s Korner with Kathy – Storytime and Activity
10:00 to 11:30 am – Kid’s Korner with Kathy – DVD “Cars”
11:30 to 12:00 pm – Kid’s Korner with Kathy – Storytime and Craft

Cammo Ammo Contest – If you brought a geocache to enter in this contest, please bring it to the registration desk at the Johnson County Fair Building no later than 11 am.

9:30 to 11:15 am - GPS Accuracy Contest – You will be given the coordinates for this event, but you must register if you wish to test the accuracy of your GPS and settle the big question of whose GPS is the best, once and for all. Registration for this contest will begin at 9:30 am at the Event registration table.

9:30 to 11:45 am - Travel Bug and Geocoin Swap – Golfnutz is monitoring this event for Travel Bug and Geocoin junkies. Whether you are trying to help a Travel Bug reach its goal or just ooh and aah over the many different types of Geocoins, this is your chance. Please do not take any unless the cacher that brought the item is aware of it.

12:00 – Lunch, Announcement of Winners of the Games, Cammo Ammo Contest, Prizes, Program

Want to help? When all is over and everything is said and done, we could use your help to clean up!

The following businesses, organizations, and people have donated prizes for this event. Please give them a big thank you when you do business with them or see them.

First Security Bank
Best Western Sherwood Inn
Johnson Chevrolet
Johnson County Library
CJ's Garden Cuisine
El Parian
Western Sizzlin
Worldcaching
Hogwild Stuff
Oakcoins
Geocoins.ch
Cache Zone
dwprods.com
BlueDog Geocoins
Geocaching.com
Groundspeak
Geocoin Club
Geocoinshop
GSAK(Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)
majorptngeocaching
Civil War Geocoins
The Caching Place
Geocoinshop.de
Crake’s Geocoins (crakeproductions.com/coins)

CacheMates
Paris1Time
Woodwalker09
cfd29
rklmbl
Golfnutz
nonnipoppy
2j's

Spice
04-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I saw a copy of the Johnson County Graphic today and saw a photo of poppy and golf in there along with the Mayor of Clarksville.

The mayor was signing the proclamation making Saturday April 21st, 2007 "Geocaching Day" in Clarksville.

Thanks to poppy and golf for the continued exposure of the sport in the area and thanks to everyone putting this event together!

paris1time

idratherbehiking
04-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Just want to say a quick thanks to NonniPoppy, RKLMBL, GolfNutz and everyone else who put all the work into this to make this event a great success again. It was great seeing all the cachers that I already knew and meeting new faces to put with all of the names we read about so much. I had a great time. Can't wait till the next one. Thanks again.

flannelman
04-21-2007, 08:07 PM
The kids asked, " Are we gonna do this again"? You betchya!! We had a great time and look forward to the next one. Thanks to everyone involved with this event. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gaddiel
04-23-2007, 07:30 AM
We had a BLAST! It was fun meeting many of you in person for the first time, and, as always, everyone was friendly, helpful, and gracious. What a great group of cachers we have in Arkansas!

One thing's for sure, though. We will never walk by a stand of cane or an outhouse again without wondering if there's a cache nearby. :D

Wayne

Spice
04-24-2007, 12:26 PM
My wife and ddkds attended the event in Clarksville and really enjoyed it. Those who put this together reallly did a good job. I know they worked hard getting it to all come together.

I really enjoyed meeting those who I had not had a chance to meet yet and those I already had.

On another note, there were a bunch of great prizes and I want to say a big thank you to all those who gave a prize for the event. I would add that I also sent out e-mail this morning to all of the web sites listed on the event page to thank them for their donation. I would like to encourage others to do the same. I think letting them all know how much we appreciate their donations will help secure more for the future. Here is one reply I received back from my email to BlueDog Geocoins:

no problem - glad to do it. I've donated to other organizations and no one has ever taken the time for a thanks so thank you for thanking me.

Happy caching!
Rangerdog17

Thanks again to those who put this great event together.

BTW Don't forget to put April 19th, 2008 on your calender for next years event which was also announced at the event.

paris1time

cachecrazies
04-24-2007, 04:15 PM
We can only hope that all of you great people that put on this event are having a quiet, recuperative week! After the major headaches you've had you deserve a break! Outstanding job - again! Thankyou and we appreciate it are not nearly enough to tell you how much we enjoyed it and are looking forward to the next one!

paris1time - great idea about the thank yous!

RGS
04-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks to everyone involved with the event. We always have a great time down here and the event, people, and hospitality is top notch.

Here is a link for some of the pictures I took at the event.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... smjhw1Zs4a (http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8CYsmjhw1Zs4a)

Thanks again,
RGS (rich and Charlotte-St. Louis)

Spice
04-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I went to a carnival at the elementary school in Paris tonight and proudly wore my Poker Run April 21, 2007 Clarkville or Cacheville t-shirt that I won from the Poker Run at the event. I had so may people make comments and most of them had no clue what the shirt was all about.

One guy said, "Hey, I didn't know you rode", thinking the shirt was from a motorcycle poker run. Another thought the words "Clarksville or Cacheville" was making fun of Clarksville in some way.

So once again I had a converstion piece to help me get to talking to some people about caching!

paris1time