PDA

View Full Version : Ticks & Chiggers

Harleyhogs
07-31-2004, 08:26 PM
Well here I am after another day of caching, and I am still picking off
ticks and will most likely have some chiggers appearing in the morning.
:?: Does anyone have any good solutions to keep these critters off....thank

southdeltan
08-01-2004, 09:59 AM
Bug spray with Deet. "Deep Woods Off", Cutter, and Repel (it's the Walmart brand I beleive) are some brand names. I use Repel 29%. There's no real need to go over 30 percent, but they do make some that is 100% (It's actually like 99%). The only drawback to deet is it will eat plastic, so don't spray it on your hands if you plan to handle expensive electronic devices.... That being said I've never personally "melted" anything with deet.

Spray it all over yourself, clothes included (contrary to some reports, it does not have to come in contact with human skin to work).

There's also the perethrin based spray Permanone. You spray this ONLY on clothes and let it dry onto the clothes - then you wear. I haven't used it but I've heard good things.

Both of these can be found at outdoors stores and Wal-Mart.

I use Deet. It has a proven record and works for me.

southdeltan

Gaddiel
08-01-2004, 12:27 PM
No question, according to several reports I've read: Deet is the way to go. It works by "masking" your body's smell so that the mosquitos can't home in on you. I've used it for years with consistent results. Works on mosquitos, ticks, chiggers, almost anything you can name. For tick and chigger protection, spray liberally on your shoes and legs.

The only thing I don't like about deet is that it stings a little on sensitive areas like the neck. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.

I, too, have heard of very good results with perethrin, but have never used it.

arkansas_stickerdude
08-01-2004, 12:55 PM
I swear by DEET I bought from Kmart a package that had 2 29% sprays and one package of 30% DEET wipes for $10 and the wipes work great. So I bought an extra package of wipes for the wifes truck from Walmart. I swear by deet for the reason of the MOSQUITO FACTORY CACHE here http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d065c672-f0a6-4745-89a2-9a5a4eb417b6 This showed me that DEET really works.

southdeltan
08-01-2004, 02:19 PM
No question, according to several reports I've read: Deet is the way to go. It works by "masking" your body's smell so that the mosquitos can't home in on you.

Actually, it works by (in layman's terms) scrambling the electrical signals in the mosquito/tick/etc's nervous system :) Forgive me, Biology Major, Chemisty Minor here.... I wish my organic professor had let me keep that bottle of Deet we made in Organic Lab.... damn liability issues - that was some good stuff 97& pure :)

Deet Fact Sheet (http://www.deet.com/deet_fact_sheet.htm)

Incidentally, Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors and carbon dioxide, among other things.

southdeltan

arkansas_stickerdude
08-01-2004, 06:19 PM
I heard about the dark colors but was not sure if it was true.

Harleyhogs
08-01-2004, 07:41 PM
:D Thanks for all the information. I bought some of the Deep Woods Off and went back to an area where I am planning a cache hide and it looks like it worked. I will keep a can of this in my back pack. Thanks for the tips...happy caching. Harleyhogs

Team Panda
08-02-2004, 05:19 AM
I prefer Cutter's brand "Skintastic" with DEET personally. I think any of the DEET containing products will probably work about the same, the Skintastic is just a little less repellant to MY nose than it is to the skeeters though.

Be sure to re-apply often if you're out in hot weather as you can sweat the stuff right off of yourself.

I left a small bottle of "Chigarid" Insect Bite Treatment in our "Ridge Runner" cache just in case somebody got out there and NEEDED it.
:D

arkansas_stickerdude
08-02-2004, 10:23 PM
I should have left some in my newest cache " 1 mosquito, 2 mosquito, 3 mosquito, more"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f5e2f6b4-7188-49a8-939b-9753a65ff3fa Luckwest was the FTF when I arrived I had to get a shotgun to shot the mosquitos to let him go.

Gaddiel
08-03-2004, 07:57 AM
I should have left some in my newest cache " 1 mosquito, 2 mosquito, 3 mosquito, more"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f5e2f6b4-7188-49a8-939b-9753a65ff3fa Luckwest was the FTF when I arrived I had to get a shotgun to shot the mosquitos to let him go.

:lol: Looking at that cache page actually made me chuckle out loud! :lol: If we go for this one, I think we'll try it in the winter... :)

BACKPACKNJACK
08-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Deet (or a 12 guage) WILL mess with their sensory mechanisms. You don’t have to use very strong Deet if you are not going to be out there long. The stronger it is the longer it last but you should use caution with small children and only use what you need to protect them.
A pet tip: put some vinegar in your pets bath plus use a spray bottle with a mixture of water and vinegar on their legs and sides to help them not be so attractive to pest before tromping through the wood and dell. I use (since I wear sneakers a lot), gators and a spray bottle of vinegar so I will not be sooooo attractive and Boy does it work. I’m not even close to being attractive. Deet WILL eat up that plastic watch (anyone want to buy a drawer full of slightly used plastic watches with opaque crystals ?) Yes, Skeeters (Mosquitoes to those who can spell it) ARE attracted to dark colors and carbon dioxide, plus movement and light color clothing. I guess no clothing would be even worse. Chiggers (microscopic demon larva that emit a saliva that liquefies your flesh ) hang out as far as they can just waiting for Geo’ers, who don’t tuck in their pant legs or wear Gators or who hate long sleeved shirts (like me), to brush by. I don’t mind if they hitch a ride on the outside of my pants but not on the inside. Yep! I sure know a lot about chiggers, and ticks, and skeeters and horse flies, and snakes, and spiders, and scorpions, and poison ivy, and poison sumac, and black nats, and poison oak, and…….
That my friends, is why I mostly roam around in the winter.
In the winter, being attractive is NOT a bad thing ;)

arkansas_stickerdude
08-03-2004, 06:10 PM
What are Gators?

Geoark1
08-03-2004, 07:24 PM
In the 1920's Gators were know as SPATS and quite the fashion statement Gators are great way of protecting against other nuisances in the wilds as well. AND Amen to the winter tromping that is our motto as well.

arkansas_stickerdude
08-03-2004, 07:34 PM
That still does not tell me what Gators are.hahahahahahaha

Geoark1
08-03-2004, 09:15 PM
http://wileyoutdoorproducts.com/showPro ... untingWear (http://wileyoutdoorproducts.com/showProducts.php?productPage=huntingWear)

About the5 item down the page they really do help

BACKPACKNJACK
08-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Gators are cloth thingamajiggies that cover the top of your
boots and your pant legs.
Well, sort of.
Hikers wear a type (elastic or drawstring) that goes from
the boot top to over the calf or even over the knee (for
those who wear hiking shorts) that is made of material that
will stop briars, thorns, ticks, chiggers, etc. You can get
them that are snake proof. Mine are stretch camo that I
bought to keep chiggers from hitching a ride on the inside
of my pants. (I noticed mine also repel Ticks, Chicks,
Turkey, Deer, most species of Fish, and Elephants)
I have seen them made from "Ripstop" (good choice),
leather, plastic, or mesh (mosquito netting). A friend who
wore out the seat of his hunting pants cut the legs off and
with a little elastic, uses them as gators.
Back in the "Good old days" people tied rags around their
ankles that were soaked in kerosine. :( gators R better :D

GEO
08-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Chicks and Tiggers, 8O
I like Chicks and Tiggers
cause my :arrow:
TIGGR IS A CHICK. :D

MILITARY DEET.
You can get it at any
Army Surplus store,
I mix it with Deep Woods Off.
pharmacetical Sulfur Powder helps as well.

LadyEngineer
08-05-2004, 05:30 AM
The link that was on GeoArk1 didn't show gators when I went to it so I put another link. Try this one:

http://www.mackspw.com/item.asp?id=&im= ... ICK_GATORS (http://www.mackspw.com/item.asp?id=&im=BW55&d=SAVEYUR_TICK_GATORS)

Gators are a wonderful invention and work well for kids too.

arkansas_stickerdude
08-06-2004, 10:26 AM
After seeing all the post I got a Army Surplus mag out and found them. I've seen them before I just did not know what they were called. Thanks All.

Phantom_491
08-06-2004, 02:35 PM
What is the best way to get all the seed (baby) ticks off?

I was out caching yesterday (No off,Deet, etc) and when I got home I noticed my feet were covered in the little buggers. I instantly jumped into the bath, and thought that helped, but after work last night, I noticed my feet were burning, & itching. When I got home and took my sock off I saw that my feet were still covered, and that some had worked their way up. I finally broke down and scratched them all off, (Which I know is a big No-No).

Is there a better way than tweezers to get these little ones. Especially when there are so many. (I had about 20 or 30 per foot)

southdeltan
08-06-2004, 04:19 PM
What is the best way to get all the seed (baby) ticks off?

The best way is to not get infested with them.... the old "an ounce of prevention thing".

Luckily here in the delta we don't have much in the way of ticks - but we are the Mosquito capital of the world :>

sd

BACKPACKNJACK
08-07-2004, 09:23 AM
"What is the best way to get all the seed (baby) ticks off?"

Good question, and you are right. Scratching or scraping them off with a knife, chain saw, or weedwacker would be on my list.....(I hate those things) but just barely above using a Propane torch. 8O

The best way I have found (yes I did catch the part about feet and realize you were not wearing shoes and socks. Ticks climb;) but I will not address that issue here 8) ), is to use tape. Just wrap it backwards onto your hands and use a rolling, patting motion to remove them. If you are a hairy beast like me, or just maybe value your skin for some reason, Scotch tape is better then masking tape. The oils in your skin (and grim if you are the "sandle-foot-hiker-dude" ;) )will soon render it useless so keep lots of it on hand. I keep tape in my car or in my fanny pack most of the year.
Not to worry though, if alllll else hails, they will fall off eventually. :lol:

tmac
08-07-2004, 01:07 PM
be careful with perethin based products. too much will poison a pet. i almost killed my dog about 10 years ago with it. the vet said there wasn't anything he could do for her except give her a bath & wait. she was almost dead when i got her to the vet. the bath got the poison off & about 4 hours later he was able to give her stuff to save her.

cachemates
08-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Phantom
Having lived in Arkansas most of my life and have had seed ticks many times, I have found that you can't have seed ticks but about 2 hour, after that they have you.
Jerry.

Phantom_491
08-09-2004, 02:43 PM
"What is the best way to get all the seed (baby) ticks off?"

yes I did catch the part about feet and realize you were not wearing shoes and socks.

Actually I was wearing sneakers and ankle socks. They were inside my socks. Now my feet look like I have the measles, or chicken pox.

GEO
08-09-2004, 03:08 PM
NO YOU HAVE TICKS POX!!!!!!!
Well I do the same thing you did phantom I dug em off and it has happened to me several times.
Nothing happened(or) maybe that's whats wrong with me ticks pox
Anything you do make sure that you get the heads out even if you have to pop them like a zit,The head is what causes the diseses to incur(occur).
Keep antibiotic on them and wait about 2 weeks.

No matter how you go about it the tick is going to leave his stuff in ya,wether you pull them,put chemicals,like campho phenique(best) or any other thing you do.just keep the wounds clean untill they heal
Sorry for the little pests

BACKPACKNJACK
08-09-2004, 05:32 PM
[quote=Actually I was wearing sneakers and ankle socks. They were inside my socks. Now my feet look like I have the measles, or chicken pox.
Phantom491
I was just kidding about you being the bare foot hiker dude but I was not
kidding about how to remove the seed ticks with tape. It is no joking matter. I did assume you were talking about before they had dug in (cemented) but I didn’t really know how long it was between when you collected them and when you discovered their new hiding place.
Once they have dug in and cemented, putting something on them that might make them.... Well there is no reason for you to believe me about making them puke into your wound so here it is from someone else:
The American Family Physician.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Tick Removal
MATTHEW GAMMONS, M.D., and GOHAR SALAM, M.D., D.O.
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, Michigan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TABLE 1
Ineffective or Dangerous Methods of Removing Ticks: What Not to Do
Do not use sharp forceps.
Do not crush, puncture, or squeeze the tick's body.
Do not apply substances such as petroleum jelly, gasoline, lidocaine (Xylocaine), etc.,to the tick.
Do not apply heat with a match or hot nail.
Do not use a twisting or jerking motion to remove the tick.
Do not handle the tick with bare hands.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Here is the URL so you can find out from the horses mouth, how it remove them.
I used to use a hot match stick but not anymore.
www.aafp.org/afp/20020815/643.html (http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020815/643.html)

PS. I don't have any URLs for the tape trick except maybe the one for this thread. BACKPACKNJACK

arkansas_stickerdude
08-09-2004, 08:51 PM
ticks suck. my kids ask why god made ticks. What a great question.

GEO
08-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Not to be a smart a** but all the pests were created after the Fall of Man from the grace's of GOD.

Fly's,sqitos,chiggers,ticks and all them other pesky no see um critters.
We all have done it or do it,leave home without the bug spray.
I always carry my deet with me,never know when you want to go out for a hike,just a short one,shouldn't get any bites,yea right.

I like the link backpackJ.
But them ity bity seed ticks are hard to grab with that tick extractor.
They look just like forceps to me.
I do not think they really are a specialty tool.
Walmart has them in the fishing section.

BACKPACKNJACK
08-10-2004, 09:43 PM
I like the link backpackJ.
But them ity bity seed ticks are hard to grab with that tick extractor.
They look just like forceps to me.
I do not think they really are a specialty tool.
Walmart has them in the fishing section.

Well GEO, here is another tick link (sense this is a tick & chigger thread) that you may not like as well because it shows how they attach/cement, plus some more tools.(check these out :roll: )
http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~acarolog/tickgone.htm
If they have cemented, I don't try to pull them off with the tape trick but use some needle pointed tweezers I got from a DR. many years ago.
I placed these links so you may be assured I speak the truth. I was within 24hrs of loosing my 6'6" 450lb hunting buddy because of one little seed tick so I decided to learn what to look for and I hope these links (from the horses mouth :wink: will be useful to you guys.

Spice
06-03-2009, 08:24 AM
I was listening to the Podcacher podcast yesterday and a cacher mentioned that they carry a lint roller to get ticks off of them. Makes perfect sense.

HikerRon
06-03-2009, 09:04 AM
I had a friend from Colorado come down to Ar for a week and accompany me to geowoodstock. He's back home now, but still whining about the ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes:)
yes, we add a star of difficulty to all our caches in the warm months down here:)

the permanone tip was the best tip i ever rec'd when i moved to AR 2 yrs ago. (thanks Rhone). I have had a pair of hiking pants treated for 2 yrs now and they still work great.

As for chiggers, my dad always said the way to get rid of chiggers was to
scratch 'em till they bleed, scab over, and smother to death. LOL:)

chimps8mybaby
06-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I've noticed that i usually get into the seed ticks in the middle of August. I usually carry an icepick to stab them with. :wink:

rhaselton
07-26-2009, 08:26 AM
The product is called REPEL Permananone
It is for clothing and gear. This is not for skin but for your clothes!
My son took up Airsoft games where you play in the woods and his first trip infected him with what seemed like thousands of ticks!

The next time we had applied this product to everything he wore, pants, jacket, t-shirt, boots, underwear, etc. You spray it on previous to getting outdoors and let it dry. we did it the night before him going.

He came home the next week, from the same place with ZERO ticks or chiggers!!!!
I found this in the Walmart camping isle with the regular misquito repelant. Blue top and copper bottom color scheme