PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon!! Flannelman's March Geocaching Expedition.

flannelman
02-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Well since the Winding Stair expedition was such a success I have decided to make a monthly caching expedition and invite my fellow cachers to go too. For those who may be interested this is how it will work. I will select a cache as the main objective of the trip. This cache will most likely be a remote cache that will require a hike to get to. Once the main goal has been accomplished then I will proceed to search for other caches in the area. The other caches will hopefully be close enough togather to offer the oppertunity to maximize the caching experience. Although high numbers of caches in ther area is a plus it is not a requirement. The location and difficulty of the main goal will dictate how many, if any, other caches will be sought after. It is possible that the expedition will only go after one cache.

As soon as I decide which cache to go after I will try to contact the cache owner or someone from the general area to link up with. With their help I will decide meeting places and other logistical issues.

March's expedition will take place March 24, weather permitting. If interested then post here.

Cya on the trail.

Phantom_491
02-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Dang it. I really wanted to go on this one. However MOGA (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f5eca219-fd65-4a2e-9a1f-40d92c6ec089) is that weekend and I've already paid the registration fee.

Oh well there's alwayenext time!

SJClimber
02-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Enjoyed the last hike. I'll watch for your posts.

idratherbehiking
02-28-2007, 09:29 PM
I will put in a request now to get off work for it. Sounds like everyone had a great time on the last trip. I wish I had gone.

Misty
03-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I am new to caching & I was interested in finding different coordinates for Arkansas. Is there a link or something to help me out? Please help!
Misyt

flannelman
03-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi Misty,

If you go to the geocaching web site then you should be able to search for caches by zip code, city, or state. Go to Geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com//url)

For the March expedition I have chosen Alum Cove, GCJ53N. I'll give out more details about times and meeting places in the next few days. You can visit thelink to see where the cache is and what it is all about.
Alum Cove (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e5fb1a96-5328-46db-9d49-6e318335acae)

arkansas_stickerdude
03-04-2007, 03:41 PM
I"m game since its up my way. Anyone want to ride with me from the fort just let me know.

flannelman
03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Is there anyone in the area of the cache that would like to help me with some logistical issues. We will need a place to meet that is easy to find, maybe a place to eat breakfast would be a good place to meet. Any info about the area would be useful.

Thanks.

SJClimber
03-04-2007, 08:46 PM
If it works out, have friends in Walnut. Might stay there and come out of the valley to Deer the next morning. Will watch for your itenerary.

Q
03-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Any info about the area would be useful
There is a litle restuarant in Deer. We patronized the place when we were caching over there between Christmas and new year. Pretty sure they did breakfast. How many folks you figuriing will join in? They had room for 20 or 30 easy.

Lauri
03-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Sounds fun! I should be free for this one and will mark my calendar! :D

polijn
03-08-2007, 01:38 PM
:(( I have to work.

topkitty98
03-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Alum Cove is awesome!

I'll be working, though :(
Ah, for the days that job 2 is over for the season . . .

SJClimber
03-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Will, are you going to post this as an "event" of sorts with GC.com?

ChuckWalla
03-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Will, are you going to post this as an "event" of sorts with GC.com?

From the Geocaching.com Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines:

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

In other words, I won't publish it! Sorry! :wink:

flannelman
03-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Well I guess that answers that question.

SJClimber
03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Interesting information CW. On our last trip, Poppi thought it was something that could be done, but obviously not. Oh well. We will still do the hike and enjoy the cache and company.

kittzle
03-13-2007, 04:58 PM
I might have to tag along for this one unless I get picked on too much, LOL.

cachemates
03-14-2007, 07:21 PM
flannelman looks like we won't be able to make this months hiking adventure. I have been ask to tag along with a group of 14 Girl Scouts and another local cacher. It seems Girl Scouts can earn a badge, patch, or some kind of award for Geocaching. It will be fun to watch these youngsters follow the arrow on a gps.
Maybe we can make the next hiking adventure. I know all who go will enjoy the trip. Alum Cove is a great place. flannelman also leads a fun expedition.

flannelman
03-15-2007, 08:14 AM
Well Jerry I think you led the last one for the most part, and did a fine job too. I'm sure the girl scouts will have a great time looking for caches. It's nice to see people that are willing to donate their time for something like that. Way to go!!

I'll firm up the plans for the March expedition tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.

flannelman
03-15-2007, 10:36 AM
I think we should all meet at the alum cove cache trailhead at 8 am then go for the alum cove cache. I have posted a bookmark list of caches that I'd like to go after. I think we will head to Jasper after alum cove, picking up caches as we go. We can eat lunch in Jasper and then find the caches that are in town. There are three or four there. There is a museum and a wildlife education center in the area that both have caches. I would like to visit them but that is optional due to the fact that I would like to tour each and see what exhibits they have.

If you have some suggestions for caches to add to the list the send me a message. Since there will be a couple of different hiking trails on this expedition we probably won't have enough time to get a large ammount of caches but I'm sure they will all be quality. Please send me any ideas you may have to make this a great expedition.

idratherbehiking
03-17-2007, 11:23 PM
I just noticed that Old River Runner has placed some new caches on Round Top Mountain just in time for the expedition. This should make the outing that much better. Thanks ORR.

OldRiverRunner
03-18-2007, 08:06 AM
I just noticed that Old River Runner has placed some new caches on Round Top Mountain just in time for the expedition. This should make the outing that much better. Thanks ORR.

You're welcome! I hope everyone enjoys the Round Top Mountain area. It's one of my favorite hiking spots in the state. -- ORR

flannelman
03-18-2007, 08:06 AM
That will add to the trip for sure. We'll get those while on the trail.

Everyone who is planning to attend the expedition please give me a shout so I'll know how many to expect. I'll go up on Friday and be at the trail a little early to try to get a coord for the meeting place. I'll post the coords here Friday night, if I can find a place to get online that is. Otherwise just meet at the trailhead between 8 and 8:30.

Looking forward to it.

Lauri
03-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Couple of questions:

1) What's the drive like (time) from Hot Springs?
2) Any good camping up there I might be able to camp at on Friday night?

nonnipoppy
03-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Nonni is out of town and poppy will try to make it. We will see if we can drag Golf along........poppy

idratherbehiking
03-18-2007, 11:14 PM
I have been looking forward to this for a while and I will definitely be there. See you Saturday morning.

topkitty98
03-19-2007, 10:09 AM
WOW, you've picked one of my favorite areas of the state and one of my very favorite caches! I wish I could tag along, but I'll be working that day of course. (So glad that April is almost here!)

Ya'll have fun! The Elk Education Center is really neat, we saw a herd of elk out there one evening. It was awesome. You're in for a good weekend.

topkitty98
03-19-2007, 10:11 AM
And ooooo, Kittzle, you sure should try reading that purple font when you've just been to the eye doc to be poked prodded and dilated! It's a trip! LOL

flannelman
03-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Couple of questions:

1) What's the drive like (time) from Hot Springs?

I estimate about 3 hours to drive up from HS.

2) Any good camping up there I might be able to camp at on Friday night?

I plan on renting a cabin from this place for myself and two kiddos. http://jasperandnewtoncountyresorts.com/

They have tent and rv sites also.

kittzle
03-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Sorry about the purple!!! I sometimes forget that some of our screens look different, all my stuff is on a white background here, hehe.

You guys are much better early birds than me.... I'm gonna be grouchy at 8am, LOL. Hrmm....... I'm gonna have to figure out if I want to stay somewhere or get up too early...

SJClimber
03-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Will, I'll be there. I plan to go to the Walnut Thursday and cache by Ozone and south Friday. Should be at Alum Cove by 8:00. Have no phone or power there, so I'll check the site through Thursday am and hope the plans don't change.

flannelman
03-20-2007, 09:08 AM
I have my cabin rented so I'm ready to go!! I'll get there (Alum Cove) about 7:45 and will wait till about 8:30 for any stragglers. I'm not sure of cell phone service in the area but I'll give mine out in case you need to call while on the way up. I'll also leave a note on my danger ranger (white ford ranger) for anyone that comes late to sign on. That way if you get there late you can still do alum cove and we will wait on you before we head to the next cache.

Cell 501-984-3276

nonnipoppy
03-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Golf of Golfnutz and I will be there for chapter II.....poppy

flannelman
03-24-2007, 10:00 PM
I just want to thank you guys for coming out to the expedition. What a great way to spend a day. The kids and I had a great time even with the scpapes, bumps, bruises, and sore feet. Hope to see ya next time!!

March Expedition Team

poppy of nonnipoppy
Golf of Golfnutz
idratherbehiking
SJClimber
Flannelman and kids

idratherbehiking
03-24-2007, 11:35 PM
I just want to say thanks to Flannelman for putting this together. I had a really great time today. It's great to be able to go caching on such a beautiful day with great company along the way. Thanks to everyone who went for making this an expedition to remember. I'll be looking forward to the next one.

nonnipoppy
03-25-2007, 06:10 AM
This day was yet another great adventure. I thought a large time was had by all. Thanks Flannelman for this really good idea and execution.

Since next month's expedition will be to Clarksville we will see these guys again.

What do you have in mind for May?....poppy

SJClimber
03-28-2007, 06:59 PM
FM, though it has taken a few days to get back on track, still want to thank you for promoting and organizing the adventure to Alum Cove. I really enjoyed the company and choice of caches. All round great gathering. If in the state will participate in the May expedition. Thanks.