PDA

View Full Version : meet and greet

naturalcachers
02-07-2007, 12:48 PM
What are the chances of another central AR meet and greet? I've been caching for a couple of years now and would love to get to put faces to the names. Unsure how to start organizing one but would definitely help.

arkansas_stickerdude
02-08-2007, 08:25 PM
If you have an idea of a good place I'll help youget it together. Just let me know.

Sylamore
02-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Same here.... I'm new to this but will help anyway I can.

Lauri
02-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Let's do it! :D

Woodwalker9
02-13-2007, 11:01 AM
This is a great idea. I hope it gets organized and I will be glad to donate a fully stocked ammo can cache to be given away as a door prize. PM me if I can help in any other way.

Sylamore
02-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Could someone give me an idea on how many people might be there?? I would be more than happy to try to find a place for this to take place. Is this just for Central AR folks, or do we want to invite everybody in AR and the fringes?? Questions, questions, questions. Just trying to pan out some ideas and thoughts from other events I've helped plan.

flannelman
02-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Usually when there is an event, even a regional one, there tends to be a large group of cachers from all over the state in attendance. Sometimes we even have out of state cachers come to events. So plan for quite a few I'd say.

naturalcachers
02-14-2007, 09:19 PM
I say locate it in central Ark. this spring but post it on Ark. Geo. and geocaching.com., would love to show off Arkansas and its excellent caching. Sylamore has event experience, we will definitely need prizes - very generous offer Woodwalker. We'll get this done for sure. Very excited about the interest, keep the ideas coming!

flannelman
02-16-2007, 12:04 PM
When ya get it organized I'll kick in a stocked ammo can or a special cammo cache container. Hope ya get it going!!

icetoad
02-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Somebody can put a cache up on Pinnacle for the youngsters and healthy peeps, we can hide cache's all over the paths at the park and meet for a monster bring yer own picnic...

just a thought from the nuguy.

nonnipoppy
02-18-2007, 09:38 PM
There will be a cache event in Clarksville on April 21, 2007. It will be the fourth year for an event here.

icetoad
02-19-2007, 09:21 PM
But do I have to take the last train? :wink:

nonnipoppy
02-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Nope nor do you have to seek the cache with the same name.

Sylamore
03-04-2007, 04:57 PM
OK.....As we scoped out burns park, it appears to be a popular place. For us to reserve anything indoors, we should have done that over a year ago, and as far as outdoors, the pickings were slim, and the dates were even slimmer.
We're leaning towards Shelby(?) Pavillion on April 28th. It's in the southeast corner of the park, and will hold about 200 people. There's a $75.00 non-refundable reservation fee that has to be paid, so if we need to make any modifications to this please let me know in the next day or two, otherwise we'll reserve it this wedensday.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of activities they'd like to see, or food?? And what about time of day? There are several caches already in place in the park. If anyone has any ideas, you are welcome to email me @ flightmedic@centurytel.net, or PM from here.
I tried to paste a map from the website, but never could find one you could read, but I did copy and paste thier description of the park.
Let me know what you're thinking and we'll proceed from here.

"Located on the north bank of the Arkansas River in the center of the state of Arkansas, it is served by five interstate highways: I-30, I-40, I-430, and I-440; and Highways 67/167 and 65. Our city offers delightful diversions, points of interest and plenty of Southern hospitality guaranteed to make your stay enjoyable. This site is designed to give you a sample of our exciting city.

You'll find great outdoors a plenty in our 1,575-acre Burns Park, one of the largest city parks in the nation. We have a movie star, the photogenic Old Mill, seen in "Gone With The Wind." There's a water theme park and metro pizzazz galore such as non-stop shopping at McCain Mall, the largest shopping center in central Arkansas, and Lakewood Village, McCain's glitzy neighbor. Specialty shops, antiques and restaurants are in abundance - North Little Rock has it all. And on the bank of the Arkansas River in North Little Rock is the ALLTEL Arena, central Arkansas' state-of-the-art center for sports and entertainment events."

icetoad
03-04-2007, 08:09 PM
When we first came to Arkansas we were homeless. I was transferring from the Gulf Coast after Katrina made it really cheap for me to move all our stuff. My company had an opening here and I jumped at the chance. Our first and only trip up here to find a place to live was to North Little Rock.

As all too often happens when the driver won't ask for directions we were able to do a bit of sightseeing before we found the hotel.

The first thing we really saw from outside the car was Burns Park. I was impressed. I have been impressed quite often since then.

I guess this is off topic, so go ahead and beat me up:)

I just wanted to say...

thanks everybody in Arkansas.

I'm so glad we moved here. I'm still being impressed every day...

Lauri
03-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Sounds great! Calendar is marked! :D

Sylamore
03-05-2007, 05:33 PM
I just got off the phone with Cupstack who works for NLR Parks and Recreation, he has reserved the John Irvin pavilion for April 28 (Shelby pavilion is already booked for that weekend). He said he still needed final approval, but seemed to think we could be able to reserve this at no charge. He is going to email me a map, and get the cords for the pavillion on his way home tonite, so we should have those to send out or post soon. Just another example of the great people involved with this sport, and the people of the natural state.

naturalcachers
03-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Sylamore, you rock!
Thanks Cupstack!

Woodwalker9
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Great to see things are coming together for this event. Fantastic job guys. I can hardly wait.

Phantom_491
03-05-2007, 11:08 PM
:( Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this event due to the fact that I'll be down in Alabama that weekend. Y'all have fun and I'll try to make the next one!!

Sylamore
03-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks again to Cupstack for getting this information to us. This pavillion looks to be in a good area. You'll find the area highlighted by a red box in the upper right of the map.
He is also going to post information about Geocaching in general on the NLRPR.org website, along with info about our meet and greet.
I also spoke with Garmin and Magellan this afternoon about getting information about their latest and greatest "caching" products and similar assorted material for display and what ever. Garmin Marketing is supposed to be gettting back with me, and Magellan kept telling me to "look at the website", so we'll see where that leads.

One thing we haven't brought up is food, a very important item where ever I may be. Does a general potluck/picnic type sound good to everybody? Or do we have a great BBQ chef lurking in our mist that would like to plan something?? Let me know what you think.
Happy caching and stay safe,
Sylamore

http://www.nlrpr.org/graphics/BurnsPark2.pdf

icetoad
03-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Found the pavillion, coordinates are...

N 34 48.108
W092 18.011

well, that's the coordinates for the parking spot I was standing in. :wink:

I forgot to see how many grills are there. are we allowed to bring our own if we want?

arkansas_stickerdude
03-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Here is a good question "Why do another meet and greet 1 week after the one in clarksville?" We know everyone will be in clarksville on the week before. So again why not wait till May to do it. Just my .02 worth

Sylamore
03-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Do we want to postpone this until late May or so??
Everyone let me know what you think.
You can PM me or email at flightmedic@centurytel.net if you'd like also.
Thank you,
Sylamore

Lauri
03-08-2007, 08:40 AM
I think it's a good idea -- so people who have to travel don't have to choose one or the other. And it means more geocaching fun spread out!! :D

cupstack
03-08-2007, 09:41 AM
April 28th will be the only time I can get a large pavilion at Burns Park (all the larger pavilions are booked on Saturdays and Sundays from May until late summer). If the event is held at a later time, another venue will have to be found (unless a pavilion is not needed).

Sylamore
03-08-2007, 07:16 PM
OK..........we're going to keep this event on the 28th. Cupstack has the pavillios for us from 10:00 until 4:00. After that we may have to vacate if someone else has it reserved, otherwise it's a first come/first serve basis (and hey.........it's nearly 1600 acres..we can always move to a shade tree). He also metioned a few "game" ideas that sounded good for all, does anyone else have anything they'd like to see?
We'll also discuss a date for 2008 to allow everyone to plan ahead. There will be a city wide clean up during the first or second weekend of May next year, that would be a good time for a CITO event if everyone is interested.

icetoad
03-08-2007, 07:43 PM
is this an official arkansas geocaching association event? and where's the money going to come from for whatever cost is incurred. (meaning do i have to pay for the priviledge?)

cupstack
03-08-2007, 09:50 PM
As far the rental of the pavilion - I am taking care of that and I will be able to provide a PA system.

Lauri
03-09-2007, 08:34 AM
April will be quite a geocaching event month! Sounds fun, too. Whatever help you may need in a potluck, etc please let me know.

Sylamore
03-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Lauri,
I think we're just going to do it all "picnic" style. I don't think there will be any bears, but should you see Yogi, please report him to Ranger Smith ASAP :lol: :lol: :lol: OOOOOOOOO I crack me up sometimes. Sorry...to much coffee this morning.

Icetoad,
This is a free event for all, Cupstack is taking care of Pavillion and PA system, and I'll cover other incidentals. We just want this to be a fun event for all.

naturalcachers
03-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Can't beat a free pavilion! Thanks cupstack, you rock. Personally I'm out of pocket the weekend before so the 28th is perfect. I say potluck for the food, just post what you want to bring and how many are coming. I'll voluteer to do a teddy bear hide for any kids that are coming if I have a headcount a few days before. Looking forward to it!

Woodwalker9
03-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Sounds like you all have it together. If nothing happens between now and then, I will be there. Thanks guys for all your hard work on this. Sounds like fun.

icetoad
03-09-2007, 06:06 PM
the only thing that can keep me away is my leash, and if i bring her with me, that won't keep me away either:)

Okay, let me be the first to ask for help, who's gonna help me find caches that I can't find myself in burns park. Somebody who can walk slow enough not to kill me on the uphills...

oh yeah, and I need help getting that bayou cache. I almost lost my glasses peeking under the docks...

btw, i'm on vacation the next two weeks, and i've got weekends off, if you guys need any help with setting up games or whatever, i'm more than willing to be the pain in the neck that wants to help...

:wink:

cupstack
03-10-2007, 07:50 AM
I think the 'picnic' would be the best bet for this event since we will not be sure how many people will be coming. We will be posting this event at our community centers for those who want to find out more about geocaching.

I am working with other staff on getting some door prizes, etc. but if anyone can get some items that would be great too.

Question to anyone who can answer: I do not know all the ins and outs of how this organization got started - but what does it take to have an "official" Arkansas Geocachers Association event? What is the process to get it approved? - you can pm me if you need to.

icetoad - if you are in town, give me a call, if my schedule allows I will help (I too am fearful of losing my glasses in the bayou). As far as help getting 'games' together - give me a call (I will pm you my information).

I am looking forward to meeting all of you that can attend.

icetoad
03-10-2007, 08:34 PM
I move we call it The First Annual Burns Park Cache Bash.

do I have a second?

cachecrazies
03-12-2007, 04:52 PM
:D So glad the date wasn't changed on this event! We have to be in Little Rock that weekend anyway so this gives us the opportunity to make it a FUN weekend.

We'll watch for updates and watch for the event on gc.com.

Thanks for putting this on and let us know if there's anything we can do!

naturalcachers
03-12-2007, 09:08 PM
i second the Burns Park Cache Bash

Entrio
03-13-2007, 08:50 AM
HI Everyone.

I just registered with this Association and didn't realize that there was an event planned for April. It seems like a rather large one, but I've been talking with some LR locals about getting together this Saturday for breakfast (dutch) somewhere. Just an opportunity to meet some people and put some faces to some of the names. Don't want to step on any toes, but this is NOTHING in the scale of the bash in April.

Any concerns? Any ideas? I was just thinking about Community Bakery on Main and 630 around 8:00. Come and go (I'll hang around to meet folks).

Lauri
03-13-2007, 09:19 AM
I'd love to stop by and meet some folks -- I live in Hot Springs but will be in LR for the Run For Their Lives 5k at 8am. I don't think I'll be free, however, until about 9:30. I'm also going to try and hit a few urban caches in LR after the race before heading back home. :D

Also, I third the name for the Cache Bash!

cupstack
03-14-2007, 06:07 AM
This event has now been listed at geocaching.com :D

GC11EBH

naturalcachers
03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Hey Entrio - welcome to Ark Geo!
My philosophy is, any chance for cachers to get together is a positive thing. hopefully will be in town on time to meet you Sat, if not hope to see you at the cache bash!

cupstack
03-16-2007, 08:49 AM
If you are interested in helping to plan this event, we have scheduled a meeting March 20 at 6:00 pm at the North Little Rock Community Center (directions: http://www.nlrpr.org/centers.php ).

If you are unable to attend and have any suggestions for the event, please post them here or email me.

cupstack

Entrio
03-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Hey Cupstack, I should be at the meeting Tuesday. See you there.

Entrio

Sylamore
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
I just checked with the campground at Burns Park, and they do have tent camping available. The fee is $14.00 a night, and the sites have electricity, water, and a shower house / restrooms close by. I made my reservations for Friday and Saturday night. If you'll let the lady know that you're coming for the cache bash event, she'll put us all close. The phone number for the campground is 501-771-0702

The meeting last night went good, this looks like it's going to be a good event.

Cupstack and Icetoad, I went to Bayou Blues last night. You might want to get some floaties for your glasses....not sure I'd jump in that water to retrive anything.
Hope everyone is having a good week,
~Sylamore~

Sylamore
03-21-2007, 09:46 PM
I just received an email from Tim @ geogearstore.com, and they are going to donate items for this event also.

(Naturalcachers.....this is the web store where I got the t-shirt you were asking about....and I found out they added a new color, Texas Orange...looked good in the picture.)

cupstack
03-24-2007, 06:02 PM
just added some of the activities that are planned for the Cache Bash.

view the event listing at the event listing (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC11EBH&Submit6=Go)

Sylamore
03-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Looks good Cupstack.

cupstack
04-14-2007, 05:59 AM
I have posted some basic information about geocaching and a downloadable event flyer on my web site www.nlrpr.org (http://www.nlrpr.org/programs/geocaching.php).

Feel free to download the flyer and post as appropriate.

I'm excited about this event. :D

[corrected spelling error 4/14/2007]

Spice
04-14-2007, 03:08 PM
I just took a look at the NLR parks and rec web site and viewed the information posted there about geocaching and the event.

Thanks for all your doing for the sport in the central Arkansas area.

I had hoped by wife (ddkds) and I could make it to the Burn's Park event, but we don't know yet.

It looks like it is turning out to be a great event.

paris1time

Sylamore
04-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Cupstack,
The flyer looks great. Naturalcachers is getting the teddy bears.
I'll be down the 19th and 20th.
Looks like it is going to be a good event.
Scooter

Threeamigos
04-21-2007, 09:16 PM
No promises but we're going to try to attend.

cupstack
04-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Just a friendly "hint, hint" - be familiar with how to manually enter a waypoint and coordinates into your GPSr for both the Cache Dash and Closest to the Coordinates activities.

There are plenty of picnic tables and a grill.

We have lots of stuff to give away (lanyards, t-sirts, mugs, pens, water bottles, ammo boxes, bandanas, christmas ornaments, and more...)

There is also plenty of swag, TBs, coins, informatin, and stories to swap and trade.

See ya' there and don't forget your lunch!

Entrio
04-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey Everyone! The big day is tomorrow, I was wondering if there was anything I could do today to help out???

cupstack
04-27-2007, 04:01 PM
I could use a couple of helpers in the morning to load supplies from my office and other last minute tasks. If interested - meet me at the North Little Rock Community Center by the light blue minivan (it will have a NLR logo on the doors) about 8:30 a.m. - I will leave a note on the windshield if I am inside.

North Little Rock Community Center
2700 Willow Street
(corner of Pershing and Willow - between the library and senior center)
North Little Rock

cupstack
04-28-2007, 07:23 AM
GOOD MORNING GEOCACHERS!

It's going to be a great day - see you there!

cupstack
04-29-2007, 03:56 PM
It was a wonderful event.

Go to the event page for summary and details (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC11EBH).

cachecrazies
04-29-2007, 09:54 PM
What you guys did at the event was nothing short of fantastic! The "BASH" went like a fine tuned clock. You had it all together. We want to congradulate everyone that helped for the job they did.

We will be at the Bash # 2.

cupstack
05-07-2007, 10:05 AM
GC12FZP (Burns Park Cache Bash Cache) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC12FZP)

This cache has been placed and published in honor of the Burns Park Cache Bash held April 28, 2007.

cupstack
05-24-2007, 03:39 PM
I finally got my photos processed and uploaded.

Go to the Cache page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC11EBH) and then you can view the gallery.