PDA

View Full Version : loading cache to legend c

Q
01-09-2007, 08:31 AM
My book says check the Garmin website and I no find there. Any suggestions? Can this be done, staight from website to my legend c? I now usually transfer to my map program 1st. Make waypoints there then move them in sets to my gps.

nonnipoppy
01-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I have no experience with a Legend. But I do have some with a Garmin 12, Garmin GPS III, and a GPSMap 60CS.

For this discussion I will assume that you are a premimum member of GC.com. This allows you to get several pocket query file from GC.com each day. If you are not a preminum member that $30 per year will save you lots of time in this area.

The Pocket Query file from GC.com comes in a zipped (compressed) format. It must be unzipped and then translated to info that a Garmin can understand. Each brand of GPSr uses different "languages" individual to the brand. The PQ file does not know what brand of GPSr you are using.

With the old Garmin III we used a free program called Easy GPS to translate the data "language" unique to the GPSr brand. This program does well but strips all the data from the file that is used in a PDA. ie: The cache page info, hints, previous logs etc.

After we started paperless caching we needed a program that does not not strip out this data. That was when we found Geocaching Swiss Army Knife or GSAK a most excellent program. It can be found at www.gsak.net (http://www.gsak.net). It has a fee of $20 or $25 for use forever. And you can install it on every computer you own for no additional cost.

GSAK will accept the zipped PQ file and will allow you to build different databases. You can load your GPSr from GSAK just as you can from Easy GPS or MapSource.

One of the many wonderful things about GSAK is it's ability to customize a waypoint name.

On a cache the waypoint name is GCVDYV using GSAK, as we use it, this becomes VDYV TM4A for use in our GPSMap 60CS.

VDYV is the way we look up the cache to log it.
T = Traditional Cache
M = Micro
4 = Difficulty rating of 4 stars
A = Terrain rating of 1.5 stars
+ in the empty space denotes that a T/B is listed in the cache

nonni says when you ask me what time it is I am prone to tell you how to build a watch. If this is to much info I'm sorry. There is no way, that I am aware of, to directly D/L waypoints from GC.com to your GPSr.

Q
01-09-2007, 07:26 PM
s'ok, Poppy. I needed a watch. Thanks :wink: