PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Choose Your Username?

Gaddiel
07-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Gaddiel is a biblical name, a leader from one of original 12 tribes of Israel. The name means "sent of God".

OrangeDanish (my wife) chose her username because she loves those canned Pillsbury orange danishes. I told her, "Hey, I love pork rinds. Maybe that should have been my username!" :lol: Who knows? Maybe one day we'll be known as PorkRind and OrangeDanish?

Squirrel21309
07-27-2004, 12:20 PM
How i got my username is, Squirrel is my nickname. Dont ask. My friends came up with it. and 2 is my lucky #. 13 is the day of my birth. and 09 is the year i graduate. Which comes together and makes Squirrel21309

~Squirrel21309~

RuffRidr
07-27-2004, 02:22 PM
I've got a '91 Jeep Wrangler. It has the leaf springs as opposed to the newer coil springs. It is not a comfortable ride to say the least. So when I was joining the Jeep forums a couple of years ago, I was looking for a nickname that fit my Jeep. RuffRidr is what I came up with. I kinda liked it so I started using it for other forums as well.

--RuffRidr

cachecrazies
07-27-2004, 05:21 PM
We did the usual thing of kicking around different names to use when signing up for gc.com You know, cache, cacher, hider, hiker, etc. - what fits? We've both been accused of being a little weird (if not downright crazy) and liked the alliteration of cachecrazies. The avatar - we're also a little bananas!

We certainly have been over geocaching! :roll:

idratherbehiking
07-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Well, I think my name just speaks for itself. But these days I am torn between 2 things. I don't know if I'd rather be hiking or caching now. It's a tough choice but one I think I can handle.

Rusty_da_dog
07-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Ok, I posted this at the end of my reply about why I got into geocaching, but my name is Rusty_da_dog because I have a miniature dachshund (weenie dog if you prefer) and he was named after my favorite nascar driver Rusty Wallace. Usually when I am out with my wife and stepson I sign the logs Rusty's Crew otherwise if it's just me its Rusty Da Dog.
Cya on the trails,
Rusty

GEO
07-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Well GEO means The Earth, or of the Earth. or geographical
* Star any of many luminous celestial bodies seen as points of light in the sky etc.
Trailblazer one who blazes a trail, or a pioneer in any field.

The Earthbound luminous body, blazing a trail back to the # 1.

chili36
07-28-2004, 06:57 AM
I just stick with my trail name. I got it during a hike in the Big Bend of Texas in the Chisos Mountains. I was 36, recently divorced and sporting a chili pepper tattoo.

I has also recently won the Tennessee and North Carolina state chili cooking championship and had placed second in Arkansas and Mississippi.

topkitty98
07-28-2004, 10:22 AM
My school district was just getting into the internet/email craze when I chose my id for them. I've always been "into" cats and wanted kitty, kitty, kitty or kitty3 but all those id's were taken on yahoo at the time. Someone suggested Top Cat, a cartoon. I thought that sounded weird, but top kitty was okay. I tell my kids in class that I run a modified monarchy, that I am the queen but I do accept input and votes on things. but I will NOT be the top dog, but the top kitty is okay. The 98 came from a big school district award I won in 98. Topkitty was taken, but not topkitty98.

Long story (as usual for me) SORRY! :oops:

topkitty98
>^..^<

Geoark1
07-28-2004, 08:12 PM
We were the first to post to gc.com from ARkansas way back, geo=earth; 1/2 of geoark1 used to teach science; and we use aol sometimes..just geoark was taken so we added the 1.

Probably the best reason was the cute "ark" avatar that we could put the prefix "geo" on the side of it The GeoARK. :wink:

cachemates
07-28-2004, 08:50 PM
When we found our first cache we were excited about it and in a hurry to get it posted, and thought of several names most were already taken so we just went with our first names. Then after we found a few caches, Abby (10yrs) wanted to go with us so we added her name. She calls us Mimi and Pee Paw, we may change to that someday. Abby likes Sponge Bob so you can guess who picked that.

cachecrazies
07-28-2004, 09:32 PM
WHOO HOO! Chili36 - we gotta get together at an event so you can cook us up some of your chili! We love chili (1/2 of the crazies came from New Mexico) and would love to try yours!

arkansas_stickerdude
07-29-2004, 11:26 AM
I have my own business in Arkansas which is a window sticker business for car dealers and I am male. This is how I came up with Arkansas Stickerdude. When the family is with me it is Arkansas Stickerdude and Family.

LadyEngineer
07-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Well, I'm female and an engineer. Since I actually signed on to gc.com for professional reasons I didn't think Tink or Tinkerbell or Pixie was appropriate. Thus, LadyEngineer.

Pixie with a tude is a better fit. As my husband. :D

nonnipoppy
07-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Our first born grandchild was just arrived. Nonni was deep into thought of what she wanted us to be called by her. When I ask what she thought it was an easy decision for her. Poppy was in a weak moment. But she sure is grand and can now say Pop Pop Pop....poppy

chili36
07-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Cachecrazies. I haven't cooked chili in a competition in over a year. Backpacking and geocaching take enough of my time. However, I am planning on doing a few this fall. I will let you know when there are any in the area.

rock_hound
07-30-2004, 11:49 AM
At the time we got into geocaching I had just passed my professional geolgist test. I bought a GPSr and got into geocacheing as a diversion/reward for passing the test and getting registered. My wife and daughter also love to collect rocks while out hiking and cacheing. They help me keep my skills sharp by asking lots of questions about what each rock is and how it formed.

LongDogs
07-30-2004, 09:09 PM
I can chime in on this one, but for me it is pretty obvious from my avatar. If you take a look at LongDogs.net (http://longDogs.net) you can see the rest of the canine parts of the team.

When my family is with me, we're Team LongDogs. My oldest son has dubbed himself LongDogsIII. (Still don't get the III, but I don't try to fathom the mind of a teenager anymore.)
[/url]

DaisyButton
07-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Well... my hubby and I are the proud parents of two boys and three weenie dogs. We've always been a little nuts for our dogs... They have their own web site... So... he became LongDogs... when the boys are with him its Team LongDogs.... But being the only female on the team I wanted a diff name to give me individuality! LOL So , as my country primitive craft business is called http://www.TheDaisyButton.com I became DaisyButton I picked Daisy Button as the name of my business because I love Daisies, as Meg Ryan says in you've got mail "Daisies are the friendliest flower!" and I'm an avid hobby flower gardener... , so it just seemed to fit! Probably more than you wanted to know. My avatar is the Daisy I use in my business logo and as my avatar on my crafting forums. :D

BACKPACKNJACK
08-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Just too slow to get the good ones :( You guys already got um :D
Well, there were a few left: StumpjumpNedget, BushwackNwacko, :lol:
In hind site though,and keeping the "N" theme, I like these: GeoingNvane, TrudgeNfurnuttun, PeekN&hoping, DragNuphill, BumpNdownhill, CacheNtickout (my favorite but I had already chosen :( ), LookNfurcache, HideNcache, etc. :lol:

Edit:As Paul H. would say, here is the rest of the story, without the humor that doesn‘t seem to set very well with some, and no emoticons.

At this time I have 8 backpacks at home plus one more that is on loan to a young man with 25 years of unrestricted exchange. Now I don’t know if I have so many packs because I’ve yet to find a pack I didn’t like or yet to find a pack I did like, but that is my story.
Oh and by the way, the nickname Jack, it was my Dad's who died 25 years ago.

polijn
08-08-2006, 04:18 PM
I've used Polijn as my internet handle since 1994. Or Nimnestl. They're both characters in fantasy/mystery novels/short stories. Neither has ever been already taken when I've signed up for anything, and no one has ever said - hey, I've read that! So, I feel obscure. And I can't pronounce my own name; I just know it's supposed to rhyme with "so thin".

topkitty98
08-08-2006, 06:50 PM
I am SO glad you posted this! I had checked out your website and wondered if your name was something you had made up as a character in your stories. I love to read, but I must admit that Science Fiction is not my thing. I am a mystery fan myself. Thanks for posting and welcome aboard, SoThin Polijn!!

topkitty98
>^..^<

mountainborn
08-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Many years ago when I was in S/E Asia, Grandma worried about me. She wrote this:
http://www.geocities.com/seatoseainsong
It stuck.

maumellean
08-11-2006, 10:57 AM
I just now saw this topic. Being a resident of Maumelle, I thought that Maumellean would allow others to see where I am from. When I find out-of-state caches, I make sure and put Maumelle, AR under my username like I've seen some others do. I'm not sure what I will do when I move away from Maumelle. I guess, then, that the meaning will change. Then, I'll just say that I was living there when I started geocaching.

geowoodstock
08-11-2006, 12:01 PM
It seems this topic is back in business, so here is my story!

While at Girl/Boy Scout camp(s) it is customary to use nicknames instead of real names. Most of the time they are ones that have been earned.

I earned my camp name, "Woodstock" when I was 7 years old during a Dad & Lad Camp of all places. My parents were the Camp Directors and I had to tag along. Being the girl (besides mom), I had nothing better to do except irriate my brother and his friends. By the end of camp another Scout Leader made the comment that I "followed the boys around like Woodstock follows Snoopy."

It stuck from there on out and I have been known as Woodstock ever since. When I started geocacing, there was already a Woodstock, so I just added the "geo" to the front of it!

LuckyoneinAR
08-11-2006, 02:27 PM
I've enjoyed reading everyone's post so here goes......

I became "LuckyoneinAR" because when I first heard of geocaching, I thought "Man, I'll be lucky just to find one" since I wasn't really the kind of person who enjoyed treking around in the outdoors looking for things. All it took was finding my first cache and I did it without a GPSr!! I graduated from "I'll be lucky if..." to "Lucky me - where's the next cache?" I've been hooked ever since. What a great way to enjoy the great outdoors. Now, if I could just overcome my GREAT FEAR of snakes (and spiders and lizards and...)!!!

SpankytheWizard
08-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Back when I was a kid I tended to be called Spanky by others due to my supposed resemblence to Spanky McFarland of the "Our Gang" or "The Little Rascals" show on TV. You know, Buckwheat, Alfalfa, Darla and Pete the Pup. Fast forward a few decades and I just happened to start a new job in Arkansas and one of the ladies in the data processing section just started calling me Spanky again. I figured it was just fate. Another of the ladies always referred to me as the Wizard because of my computer skills. So, when I was thinking about a name I just decided to mash 'em together. SpankytheWizard.

flannelman
08-12-2006, 04:11 PM
In high school I would always wear a T shirt with a flannel shirt over it in the winter. Almost everywhere I went a plaid flannel shirt went with me. You will often see me on the trail to this day with some variation of a plaid flannel shirt. Due to this obsession with those shirts my sister labled me flannelman a long time ago.

Q
08-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Mine is boring. :oops: An initial. Mine and my son. I used to be cajunQ everywhere cuz cajun is usually taken.

sayitagain
08-13-2006, 04:40 PM
I had my first geo caching experience over the Christmas hoildays in 2004. A whole group of us were going geocaching along the Mississippi river just West of Alton , Illinois over in Calhoon County. Before we left, we all sat around the kitchen table at my inlaws house trying to decide what my geocaching name shoud be. Since I am hard of hearing and have worn hearing aids since 1989 everyone thought it should somehow pretain to my hearing problem. When people were talking to me I usually only got part of the conversation and as a result I usually was saying, What? expecting them to repeat it so I could hear what they said. Since What? did not sound very good as a geocaching name we came up with , Sayitagain. This has worked well for me but I always have to be careful when introducing myself to new geocachers because if I just say "Sayitagain" as opposed to saying "I am Sayitagain" they will think I didn't hear them and tell me their name again.

mbell72901
08-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Nothing special for me. When I first signed up for an email on the internet, many years ago, MBell was taken and so I added my zip code. Never seem to have a problem signing up with that name on anything. Since then I do use my amateur radio call (K5JMB) on some things, since nobody else in the world will have that one.
I have only been caching since November '05 and love the:
A. Sport
B. Hobby
C. Addiction
D. All of the above.
Answer: ____
Enjoyed all the new friends I have met and hope to meet more or you.
ps. I hope to "seed" more hides at Fort Chaffee this fall! LOL
Mike

topkitty98
08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
So why does your avatar have a blind fold?

Hey from Jacksonville -- topkitty98 aka KD5OGP
and geo-j aka KD5IJY

KTrentLR
08-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Hello everyone - Just getting started here thanks to Maumellean.

This is the same nickname I've used since back in the BBS days (before the internet - wow). Used to simply use Trent, but added the K and LR when I moved to Arkansas. (Although I live in Maumelle.)

KTrent (King Trent) is a character from the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony.

As for my avatar, I have three killer Chihuahuas !! :twisted:

Gaddiel
08-18-2006, 08:21 AM
KTrent (King Trent) is a character from the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony.

Welcome KTrentLR! I'm a Xanth fan, too. I have the whole collection!

By the way, I'm loving these stories about usernames. Keep 'em comin'!

nidomio
08-18-2006, 11:14 AM
NidoMio has been my email handle for eons. Since I'm a wildlife rehabilitator, I wanted something that had to do with my work. i also speak Spanish fluently, so I chose a name in Spanish.
Nido = Nest Mio = Mine The end result is NidoMio (My Nest). The animals in my care stay at my nest (My "crib") for R&R until they've recovered. Check us out - www.hawkcenter.org (http://www.hawkcenter.org)

Lynne - NidoMio
London, AR

theflyingburritos
01-29-2007, 12:50 PM
My husband and I (along with another Fayetteville couple) opened a couple of restaurants called The Flying Burrito Company. So, "theflyingburritos" just seemed like a natural choice for our name. I'm the main cacher in my household, but I use that name whether I'm caching by myself or have my husband and two boys along for the adventure.

Lauri
01-29-2007, 02:56 PM
I don't think you could get more boring than mine -- la-in-ark. But there is a small little twist there. L.A. are my initials and also I'm from Los Angeles. I just moved to Arkansas in late 2005. So it's also a play on a sort of "stranger in a strange land" kind of thing -- the L.A. girl living in the south.

RugerPilot345
01-30-2007, 11:22 PM
How cool, isn't it funny how we all go about choosing names.....I used to be Seadoo60.....because I loved Seadoos and no I was not 60 but maybe born in 1960, ummmmm maybe, ha ha!! But I sold the Seadoos and grew up some more and well now I am RugerPilot345.......I am a pilot and I love to shoot pistols and I own a Ruger P345 pistol, so RugerPilot345......oh well not too exciting, ha ha!!

8)

Cool!!

Rhone
02-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Mine is really a creative wonder. First letter of my first name and first 4 letters of the last.

Clark~Griswold
02-03-2007, 09:46 AM
I can't believe this thread is 2 and a half years old and I haven't replied yet :oops:

I was telling a friend at work about our vacation plans the summer before we found Geocaching, and he said I planned a trip like Clark Griswold. Well it's true. I'll spend 50 weeks a year planning a vacation for the other two weeks. We think getting there is half the fun and enjoy driving much more than flying.

Since our family makeup matches that of the movie Griswolds, we thought it was a perfect fit. We have tried to live up to our name and have found caches in 24 states, Washington DC, Mexico, Canada and the Cayman Islands. Looking to add Jamaica in the Spring and five more states this summer.

Q
02-03-2007, 10:44 AM
"I planned a trip like Clark Griswold. "
Where does YOUR dog ride? :)

naturalcachers
02-07-2007, 01:00 PM
We start caching in the natural state.

icetoad
02-24-2007, 09:05 AM
The username has undergone some changes over the years.

in 1970somethin I was on a hockey team in Michigan. Not a school team, more of a you pay out the nose to get to play team. We were the first American team invited to a yearly tournament in bells falls, ontario. It was a double elimination tournament and we had lost the first game but fought back in the losers bracket to the finals. We won the first game, which meant next game would decide the champs.

The night before the last game we were sitting outside the hotel drinking beer and ogling the cuties. (the drinking age back then was 16 in Canada.) It was a warm evening and there were all these tiny brown toads in the grass around the pool I scooped up a couple of handfulls and put them in a pizza box. The next morning I decided to take them to the rink for luck.

After the first period we were down 3 zip and it didn't look good at all. They were beating the living daylights out of us and the ref was letting a lot of stuff go. I got into 2 fights and spent just about the entire second period in the penalty box. I was getting beat up by guys a lot bigger than me, but in between penalties was able to score and assist on another. 3-2 after 2.

Just before the third period I decided I needed a little more luck, so I grabbed some of the toads and stuffed them inside my shoulderpads and forgot all about them.

We soon tied the game and spent the rest of the period trying to keep from being hospitalized by these guys. There was about a minute left in the game and the other teams goalie smacked the back of my leg with his stick. That hurt. That hurt a lot. I spun around, reached into my shoulder pad and pulled out a couple of toads. When I threw them at him, one must have gotten into his facecage cause he freaked out and came at me.

Just as he left his goal, my best friend Brian fired one from the point. It hit me on my backside then trickled into the goal.

The headline in the local newspaper the next day was, "Toad Scores Game Winning Goal."

Later, in the army i was called horny toad. After the army i got back into playing hockey again and it became IceToad. The Hisself part got added by a friend of mine in Mississippi.

ARWindstalker
04-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Seems like this thread just keeps coming back to life......

I chose my name because of my other passion in life....storm chasing, or wind stalking, and of course since I'm from Arkansas, ARWindstalker was born. After signing hundreds of logs I wish I had chosen something like B!! Sometimes I guess I can get away with ARW but I just usually end up signing it all....oh well.

searcykid
04-12-2007, 10:22 AM
I started using the Username of SEARCYKID about 5 years ago when I tried to sign up with EBAY and had tried about 7 or 8 other log in names without success and finally tried the name SEARCY which also came back "already taken".
I had just bought my first computer shortly before this and had been pestering one of my younger co-workers trying to learn all I could about this new fangled contraption when he finallly said, "Your are like a KID with a new toy."

So I was the searcy kid with a new toy, although I was 65 years old.

So I added the KID to SEARCY as a kind of joke and it was accepted. I've used the Username of SEARCYKID for most of my log ins ever since and have never gotten a "aleardy taken" notification.

Phantom_491
04-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I came up with my name while I was still in the AF. My original AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) ie: career field was 491X1 Communications Computer Systems. Later it was changed to 3C0X1. I added the Phantom because it sounded cool. then I came up with the Kilroy was here for my avatar. Add it all together and you have Phantom 491.

05-17-2007, 10:21 PM
My user name originated from an event six years ago. I was conducting some geological work for an oil company in South America. Word came down the pipeline that there were anti-government forces in the area and we had to be careful as they were probably monitoring our communications. One night while everyone in camp was asleep..........I'm so full of it! It was my college ID. 8)

RugerPilot345
05-18-2007, 11:56 AM
dang stu don't get us all sitting on the edge of our seat and then stop......I thought a huge horde of wild Ft Chaffee ticks invaded your camp....ha ha, oh no the Chaffee thread has bled over into the Username thread, ha ha!!

8O

Cool!!