PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for my 100th find.

flannelman
09-05-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm closing in on 100 and would like to go after a truly special cache to mark the event. Give me some ideas for a cache that you think I should make my 100th.

The rules:
1. The cache must be in Arkansas.
2. The cache must be in an interesting place.
3. Cache size does not matter.
4. No multi-cache, must be a stand alone.

So there it is. Help me decide which one to go for.

09-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Depends on what you like in a cache...remoteness, a good hike, nice veiw, clever hide...

There is a thread about the best in Arkansas someplace, you could read through it.

My favorite that is out in your area would be the Rich Mountain Fire Tower (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8132cd45-f451-4a3b-ad9b-38cd8da79b36) cache. The cache itself is nothig special, but if you go on a day when they have the tower open to the public (certain saturdays) there is a great veiw from the top.

In the Little Rock area I like Stairway to Heaven (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=35c5fe47-ef0f-4e14-ab06-e94f0ab85a6a) for the great veiw of the river nearby, plus it's a decent hike in the city and for some of the same reasons I think my own Pinnacle East (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a2881964-ee0e-4c15-ab08-a7a8073f116e) cache is pretty nice, though there are lots of muggles on the trail.

Out West I like Way up on the mountain (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=40c55740-5575-4f39-93c9-fb9e09f4e40b) which is a good hike along a little used trail with a good veiw and neat rock formations at the end.

Further North is a nice pair at King's Bluff (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d0579f4b-e418-4eea-8881-19d7b8140db8)/Pedestal Rocks (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=76ed688c-dee1-42a5-ab7d-73787ecfc897) for their scenic trails and rock formations.

If you are looking for clever go to Searcy and pick just about any of WW9's caches, though I especially liked Lil Red overlook. (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7e1bfb21-22e1-4ef9-8e52-7bf7ecd8edeb)

I'm sure other will have other suggestions depending on their likes and dislikes....

AR_kayaker

topkitty98
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
For very personal reasons, in Searcy do MCD or Who Rocks? Both are in the same park, one on the same trail as Lil Red Overlook.

Around Little Rock, Flatside Pinnacle.

Running farther north, Glory Hole is wonderfully beautiful, hike in is easy, hike out is long and uphill. (HA) But you HAVE to go past the cache to see the hole and the biggest waterfall.

Little known, but a very pretty hike is Marinoni northwest of Clarksville.

OOOOO at Fairfield Bay: It's All Falling Together (I think that's the name.)

>^..^<

flannelman
09-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I generally go after the more remote caches or at least the not so urban. I don't mind urban micros, some of them have been the most challenging I Have found, I just don't like a lot of muggles. The Pinnacle caches have been on my list. I hiked up the east summit trail last May or June and thought it would be a great place for a cache. I DNF'd Flatside last year but just haven't been back yet so that is a possibility as well. Keep up the suggestions and I'll sort through them as you post them.

arkansas_stickerdude
09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Here is one that I've adopted and never found but I'm going to have to go see it. I've read the logs and it supposed to be awsome. Wedington trail (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4410393c-7072-4d49-b7ea-2c2e4002151d)

Geezer_Veazey
09-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Flannelman, take a look at OHT #1 - White Rock Mountain here (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=753a9c76-f36a-45c1-b522-6ddd68adb61f). Time it during the fall color season to double your pleasure.

White Rock Mountain is a high plateau that is like a peninsula that sticks out in the sky instead of the sea. It has circular trail around the edge with spectacular overlooks in many directions.

One caveat: The trail comes dangerously close to the edge in some places with no guard rails. There have been a few people that have fallen to their deaths over the years. If you go on the trail with children, they must absolutely be kept under control.

There are other areas that are very safe and there are cabins to rent if you so desire.

topkitty98
09-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Alum Cove Awesome trail with a natural bridge over a waterfall - cache in a cave-alcove sorta deal. You can walk through the cave/grotto ish thing like walking through a tunnel. Very nice

flannelman
09-11-2006, 01:42 PM
I have bookmarked all of these suggestions and I will continue to take suggestions until September 30th. Maybe by then I'll have 90 finds so I can do a top 10 countdown to 100. Keep coming with the suggestions. All of these look great!!

OldRiverRunner
09-12-2006, 05:40 PM
I like Flatside Pinnacle. Also, Forked Mtn. is not too far from you, and I kind of like that one! :wink: -- ORR

cachemates
09-12-2006, 06:35 PM
There is a cache near Jessieville named "Man, what a climb." It is remote, it is in Arkansas, and it is not a multi. It is a great cache for a 100th find. It is one you will not forget going up or coming down. OH, I forgot flannelman, that is your cache. It is one I would recommend to anyone, their 1st or 100th.

nonnipoppy
09-13-2006, 01:53 PM
IMHO the best two hiking caches that we have done in Arkansas are Glory Hole and Hawksbill Crag. Marinoni Cache and Pam's Grotto Falls are alo grand...Good luck and enjoy the hunt......poppy

flannelman
09-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Man, what a climb! I remember that one for some reason. Could have been the near cardiac arrest on the way up. HAHA!!! Thanks for the nominations to the list. Maybe once I select the countdown caches some of you fellow cachers will want to go along with me for number 100.

Rusty_da_dog
10-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Ok, hopefully this doesn't hit after the milestone, I would HIGHLY recommend the Glory Hole up North of Clarksville, by far one of the nicest areas around, just make sure you go when it is wet like I did last week and go on down and check out the waterfall!!!!

flannelman
11-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Sounds good. It may take me a little while longer to get to 100 than I thought. I'm playing catch up in college right now. Thanks for the suggestion.

cajunbat
11-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Obviously I havent been at this long....have grown respect for the hiders in my area also including yourself Flannelman....This is the post that actual made me come out of hiding on this website....I would truly enjoy sharing your 100th with you and am working as hard as I can to make it a duplicate 100 for me also....although so far I have not hidden a cache, I am truly trying to get as much of a grasp of the game as I can before I try to turn it around and actually challenge a cacher to find mine....but with that in mind, to share my hundreth with some I consider to be higher caliber...and also to be present when they broke the same milestone ....what a day to go cashing!!! I'm in if your looking for company and I'll bring the champange!!!

flannelman
11-09-2006, 09:31 AM
That would be a good way to break 100 for both of us. I have been thinking bout going for a few caches pretty soon but not enough to break 100 yet. I think I'll hit that goal sometime next month. I really like caching in the winter and December is a good time for me since it is between the fall and spring semesters at UALR.

I just started hiding caches like others have hidden theirs. I just add a little to make it my own. I'm looking forward to being FTF on your first hide!!

Is there anything in the Hot Springs area that you haven't hit yet? If there is then we could meet for breakfast and do a little caching in the area as a warm up for the 100th find run. Let me know what you think.

OldRiverRunner
11-09-2006, 06:24 PM
How about "The Fountain of Youth - UALR", by Pedro_de_Poca_Roca. I see you haven't found this one. A real challenge! You will feel REALLY GOOD after nailing it!-- ORR

flannelman
11-09-2006, 08:06 PM
I have been scoping this one out between classes but there are always toomany muggles around to look in earnest. I'll probably hit this one Sunday morning after I get off work. I'm kinda leaning toward glory hole right now, but I haven't researched all of the suggestions yet.

cajunbat
11-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Im thinking a good drive followed by a nice hike at least a half to a mile. With as many people as we can get involved...it seems we both like the woodland caches so im good for that would much rather than than an urban!!!

flannelman
11-10-2006, 10:46 AM
I was just thinking of making a pre-run of sorts. I don't know how far you are from 100 but I still need a few more before I get there. I will probably pick up a couple this weekend on my home from work butthey will probably be urban.

I want to make 100 more like what you are thinking, one really good cache that is off in the middle of nowhere, but it doesn't matter to me how many people go. That is why I am leaning toward Glory Hole right now. What is your schedule like? You can PM me if you want or send an email. If we decide to go for this togagther then we need to meet and go over some caches that we might want to hit.