PDA

View Full Version : stealth tactics??

Q
09-02-2006, 05:14 AM
What are some ways you folks use to not look like you are looking for something. Gotta love it but 2 people stopped to check on us at one site yesterday. God bless 'em.

It occoured to me that walking tightening circles would kinda be obvious. And then digging thru a large can with 2 little boys going, "oooohh, what's this?"

I thought of taking an empty pack to stick the container in. We hopefully would not be quite as attention grabbing digging in our pack as some red can. Any other ideas. Waiting till no one is around may not always be the option, or if someone comes up during the act in question. If too many potential mugglers were around, I would abort. So far most of our sites have been secluded but I have not gone after many urban caches.

Gaddiel
09-02-2006, 06:27 AM
I always try to have a couple of excuses ready by the time I reach the cache site. Some of my favorites:

"My wife lost a ring around here somewhere..."
"We're doing a field study on Asian Flambe Beetles. Seen any?"
"We're doing a field study on the effects of Schlep's Rot. It's a very common vegetation disorder in this area."
"We're from the city. We're checking the composition of the soil to ensure its adequecy to support plant life here."

But my favorite one is:

"We're geocaching. Heard of it?" :)

Wayne

OldRiverRunner
09-02-2006, 06:35 AM
But my favorite one is:

I usually use that one, also. Why not just lay the truth on them? Sometimes, they look at me like I have two heads. And other times I get a new convert. Either way, it satisfies them and they go on their way after that and I can continue my fun. :D -- ORR

Q
09-02-2006, 07:50 AM

I used that yesterday on one of our assit offerers. He just raised an eyebrow and had that "HUH?" look.

Team_Pink
09-02-2006, 07:27 PM
I collected some ideas from GC.com and put them here:

Look on the bright side (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8070ec6d-146f-4be8-a610-ad3969d55898)

topkitty98
09-03-2006, 11:04 PM
And then there are the times you're loading 76 old ammo cans into a shiney red pickup when the muggle-loading-helper finally asks after sweating over it awhile, "You know you don't HAVE to tell me, but just what are you gonna do with these things, anyway?" HA HA

Honesty is the best policy, but we had fun coming up with other answers on the way out!

CaptainB
09-04-2006, 11:00 AM
We have never been caught with our hands on a cache, but usually when we are just running around in circle trying to locate it. Sometimes when I just don't want to go into details, I just say we are doing Satellite readings. They usually just say Oh or Cool, and move on. Never has anyone ask, What are satellite readings. Queen

geowoodstock
09-05-2006, 08:16 PM
I recently was in the process of finding a very EASY cache in a public area, when approached by a guy trying to flirt with me. He went through the whole spill of talking about my vehicle (2006 HHR) as he was in the car sales business. All the time I had the cache container (a skoal can of all things) in my hand trying to conceal it from him. My two boys were hanging out the window screaming of their need to visit the nearest bathroom. I tried to polietly get rid of the so called suitor, but to no avail. Finally, I reached thru the car window got a pen and signed the log right in front of him. I then had to explain what I was doing. He was disappointed as he thought I was writing my phone number down for him. He was relieved though to know that the skoal can was not mine!!

I agree that honestly is probably the best policy when approached by someone, but if they are not stopping....I usually convert my GPS into a cell phone or camera!!

Q
09-06-2006, 05:38 AM
Gee Gstock, That's too funny! I wonder if telliing my gps, which is a bit larger than an old Nokia phone, "Come in Scotty, Scotty are you there?" would attract attention or run someone off.

geowoodstock
09-06-2006, 09:29 AM
I wonder if telliing my gps, which is a bit larger than an old Nokia phone, "Come in Scotty, Scotty are you there?" would attract attention or run someone off.

It would do both...you would attract attention then when you were actually "beamed up" I think it would scare any muggle away...unless, of course, they were trekkies!! :lol: