PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Ammo Cans (50cal.)

cachemates
08-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Would anyone here be interested in 50 cal. ammo can. I may have located some at a very cheap price. $2.00 EA.
I haven't had time to go check it out yet, but if you are interested let me know how many you want. I don't know how many are available, but when these are gone, that's it.
We go to Hot Springs almost every week and plan on going to Burns Park before GK38 archives his caches, so I could deliver them there.

BACKPACKNJACK
08-02-2006, 08:41 PM
I haven’t been to a gun show for awhile but I was in a gun shop this last Monday and they were asking $7.95 ea for their 50cal cans.
When you find out how many, if they have good seals and not too much rust call me. We may just clean them out and save them for those in the group who may need them, now or later.
BPNJ
EDIT: "clean them out..." = buy all of them.... :oops:

idratherbehiking
08-02-2006, 09:04 PM
I would definitely be interested in a few. I have some caches planned for this fall and I will be needing some ammo cans.

Team_Pink
08-02-2006, 09:12 PM
I'll take 10!

polijn
08-03-2006, 04:47 PM
I'll take about 5 or so - somebody muggled mine here at the park. I live in Hot Springs anyway. :D

mountainborn
08-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Jerry, put me n' butcherknife in for twenty !

cachemates
08-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Today I went to look at the ammo can. There are plenty of cans. Several pallets of them. They are outside so most of them have some rust on them, but the inside looks like new. He told me I could pick through them and get what I wanted.

He was a very nice man, after we met and talked about everything from Rattlesnakes to making moonshine, come to find out his daughter worked with my wife at Alltel a few years ago. I think he was just glad to have some one to tell his stories to. I heard some good ones too.

I told him we might want several cans, He said you just come get as many as you want, If I'm not here just make yourself at home. There has been a price change on the cans. After we met and talked and told stories the price now is, "get this" $ 1.00 a can. Now Thats Cheap.

So everyone who is interested let me know. It might be better to buy a pallet, the cans might be better inside the pallet.

arkansas_stickerdude
08-03-2006, 08:24 PM
I'll take 40. I have some plans toooooo :twisted:

08-03-2006, 08:45 PM
The 50 cal cans are the narrow cans, about 4 inches, as opposed to the 5.56 which are 6 inches...or do I have it backwards?

idratherbehiking
08-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I'll take 10. That should last me a while.

BACKPACKNJACK
08-03-2006, 10:04 PM
The 50 cal cans are the narrow cans, about 4 inches, as opposed to the 5.56 which are 6 inches...or do I have it backwards?
As best I recall the 50 cal ammo cans should measure 11.5 X 7 X 6 or in that area.... it all depends. Some call it 11 X 7 x 6, some call it 11 X 6.5 X 6, etc.
The thin ones you see around here are mostly likely 30 cal.
Training centers use a lot of 30cal to shoot over the heads of trainees. etc. But there are some odd cans from other countries and even some I don't know anything about.
Most mil cans will say 7.62 by something (7.62 X…. ) The something is very important when determining the size of the cartridge length so the size of the can it would take to hold them.
7.62 X 25 is a pistol cartridge only about 1 3/8th” long.
7.62 X 54 is a huge Russian rifle cartridge that will put a hurt on your shoulder.
7.62 X 51 is the NATO round also called a 308
There are many more of them 3006,etc all of them are actually 30cal. but "30cal" refers to a much used small WWII rifle round with about the same ballistics as the AK47 (7.62 X 39) round.
The 5.56 X 45 (.223) is the new NATO round like used in Nam (AR15)
All this is not to confuse but just to let you know, it is what comes after the X that counts the most, right?

Any way, let's plan on buying all of them or at least 200-500.
They don't eat much so holding them will not hurt all that much.
BPNJ

Woodwalker9
08-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Jerry, I'll take at least 20. More if needed to buy the whole skid. Just let me know and thanks.

Q
08-04-2006, 06:06 AM
Well... I was thinking 5, but at that new improved price may as well get 10. Sign me up for 10. Will you PM when it happens? What are the details with that? Where is Glenwood? I will be in Spa city area late this month.

cachemates
08-04-2006, 06:34 AM
We might not want all the cans he has. I forgot to mention he has appox. 3,000 cans. The cans are like BPNJ described. 11x7x6 he don't have any of the smaller cans. I think there are 160 cans to a pallet. The problem is, the cans are stacked between two old 18 wheeler trailers and he doesn't have a forklift. There is not much room between the trailers to get to the cans, so I would need some help getting the cans out if we get full pallet.
We might have a get-together at a resturant in Hot Springs then go down and pick up the cans. Just a thought.

08-04-2006, 07:49 AM
...I would need some help getting the cans out if we get full pallet.
We might have a get-together at a resturant in Hot Springs then go down and pick up the cans. Just a thought.

Not a bad thought either. I already have plans for this weekend, but I've got a longbed pickup that can help haul quit a few away to a more central location. At a rough guess I can put 200 in the bed of the truck without having to use a tarp or anything. Does anyone have a good storage space like a barn?

Woodwalker9
08-04-2006, 08:20 AM
A get together to get the cans sounds great Jerry. Just let me know when and where and I'll try my best to be there. Thanks again for all your work on this.

polijn
08-04-2006, 01:35 PM
If they're just a $1, I'll definately want more too. I'm in Hot Springs, so as long as I can get out of work, I'll help however I can. Lemme know a date.

topkitty98
08-04-2006, 03:33 PM
I would like to have 10 please.

>^..^<

Team_Pink
08-04-2006, 07:43 PM
I'll take 20.

A trip to Hot Springs raises the price for me pretty significantly though. Maybe I could talk Woodwalker into transporting some to Searcy?

Woodwalker9
08-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Tech_guy, that would not be a problem. I'd be glad to do it.

arkansas_angler
08-05-2006, 12:30 AM
WW, If you don't mind I'd love to join in on this Searcy deal. I'm sure I could talk Dustin into joining us as well.

arkansas_stickerdude
08-05-2006, 09:26 PM
I have a 6X12 enclosed trailer and if anyone wants me to pick up more and bring them back to NWA I'll do it and I'll have a meeting to distribute them. If we need to purchase more let me know and I'll take more.

Spice
08-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I would love about 20 of them at that price. I might need to even take ASD up on his offer to help them get to me. Just let me know who I need to pay and when!

paris1time

cachemates
08-06-2006, 06:55 PM
So far we have about 155+ cans spoke for. That would be about 1 pallet.
Now, where to meet and what time? We don't normally go to Hot Springs to eat breakfast, so I don't know many places for breakfast.
Cracker Barrel and IHOP are close together just off MLK bypass. If you want to meet mid morning or lunch, you have more choices. All I need to know is when you want to meet. I can make it about any time.
When the time is decided I will contact "The Can Man" and let him know we are coming. You might want to bring gloves if you don't want to get your hands dirty. Also I would suggest bringing Cash, He might not want a check.
I would suggest Cracker Barrel, it is fairly easy in and out depending on the time of day.

Woodwalker9
08-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Arkansas_angler, GREAT. Just let me know after the details have been worked out. I'd love to see a truck load come to Searcy(more cans = more caches for me to find LOL).

08-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Well even if you tack on the ten I think I'll be able to use that doesn't sound like it really needs more than one truckload. I'm sure the extra loading hands will be welcome, but as long as one person with a truck goes I doubt we'll need too many more vehicles...unless everyone just wants to pick up their own.

arkansas_stickerdude
08-07-2006, 04:07 PM
I have family down there so just tell me when and where.

Team_Pink
08-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Woodwalker, I'll throw in $10 for gas. That makes it only 1.50 per can if I get twenty. Still a great deal.

If Arkansas Angler can pitch in 10 maybe you won't be too hard hit for gas.

arkansas_angler
08-07-2006, 05:14 PM
$10 wont even hurt a college kid like me. That sounds like a good deal tech_guy. I'll go ahead and put in my order of 10 ammo cans as well.

cachemates
08-08-2006, 08:39 PM
I contacted woodwalker9 since it looks like he will be delivering cans to the central and northeast section and ASD to the Fort Smith- northwest area.
Woodwalker and I agreed on 8:00 AM this Saturday at the Cracker Barrel restaurant in Hot Springs. If this time doesn't work, it can be changed.Just let me know. Anyone who want to come is welcome. Look forward to seeing you there.

arkansas_stickerdude
08-08-2006, 11:03 PM
8am? That would have me leaving here at 5:30am. LOL How about around 11 or noon?

arkansas_stickerdude
08-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Sat the 19th would be better for me I have to come down and visit family that weekend. Plus that would give the masses time to figure out where all the cans were going and who needed them. Also I'm going to check with the Army Surplus around here and see if they want any. How many cans are there?

cachemates
08-09-2006, 04:55 PM
There is a possibility that woodwalker will have to work the 19th. So, he and IceCream Man are coming as planned this Saturday the 12th. They are coming to Glenwood at 8:00 AM for breakfast and a few caches. He will get the cans for his area.

I will meet ASD and anyone one else who cares to come along at the Cracker Barrel restaurant on Saturday the 19th. You pick the time, I'll be there. Hope this works for everyone. Be sure to post the time.

08-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Well 8 am that far away is a bit out of my arena, and the 19th is a work day, so I'll just request that WW9 pick up my 10 please.

AR_kayaker

cachemates
08-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Just so everyone knows, woodwalker is a very early riser when he goes caching. I know this because he told me so. I know 8:00 AM in Searcy would be hard for me to make also.

flannelman
08-09-2006, 07:21 PM
I WANT SOME!!! I WANT SOME!!! I can't go this weekend cause I gotta work. I'm not sure about Sep. Is that on a Saturday?? Anyway I want 25 cans. Where do I send the cache, errr, cash. What time will you be coming back through Hot Springs on Saturday? If I'm off work by then I'll just meet you and get them then.

Thanks.

ED. I just re-read the op and noticed that it is Aug 19. Gotta work that weekend too.

sayitagain
08-09-2006, 09:28 PM
I would like 10. Probably will not be able to make it to Hot Springs but sure sounds like fun. Woodwalker can you pick mine up? Who do I pay and when. Will you all be coming back through Little Rock on Saturday? Maybe me or Maumellean could meet you somewhere. If that's a problem we could just pick them up later at your place. Sayitagain

arkansas_stickerdude
08-09-2006, 09:53 PM
This weekend might be OK I have had a death in the family and not sure when the funeral is, but it will be in Hot Springs so I might be there On Sat but not at 8am

Woodwalker9
08-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Sayitagain, that is not a problem at all. I plan on doing some caching in the Glenwood/Hot Springs area Saturday, so I'm not sure just when I will be coming back through Little Rock. I'm guessing it will probably be close to 4 or 5 p.m. If that works for you, I will be glad to drop them off. Also, Kayaker, I will be dropping off cans in Jacksonville for Topkitty, so I will be glad to bring yours along. Tech_guy and arkansas_angler, I will bring yours to Searcy. It might be that I will be heading to the Walnut Ridge/Jonesboro area in the next few weeks, so I could deliver them there if that time frame works for you. If anyone else would like for me to pick some up, please email me as to how many you want and where I might meet you. I'll be coming through Hot Springs, Benton, Little Rock, then north on 67 through Jacksonville to Searcy. I plan to get a few extra, so if someone decides later, I will have them available in Searcy. I hope this works for everyone.

polijn
08-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Hey, Woodwalker, if you're caching out around Lake Ouachita while you're around Hot Springs, I'll be working at the State Park's visitor center. We've got two caches in our park, and I'm working on a third one.

I'll also be working the afternoon of the 19th. Unfortunately, people like to camp on the weekends, so I always end up working weekends. ;) At least until after Labor Day, anyway.

LadyEngineer
08-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Jerry,

Is it too late to get an order in. I'd like 15 cans if I can.

Pat,

If there are cans still available and you still have room can I get a favor and get you to pick them up for me. Marty is working Sat for church and I've got some local obligations that I can't get out of but I'm willing to pay for gas.

Jo

Woodwalker9
08-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Jo,
No problem on the cans. Jerry said the man had about 3000, so I think there will be plenty left. I'll drop them off at your house Saturday afternoon. I'm not sure now what time I'll be coming through there. I want to do a little caching while I'm down there. If you're not home, I'll just put them on your porch. Glad to see so many cans coming to this part of the state. Maybe we'll see a huge increase in caches in the near future.

Woodwalker9
08-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Here is the list of those whose ammo cans I am picking up Saturday. If I have missed anyone, or if someone else would like a few, please just let me know.

Topkitty - 10
Tech_guy - 20
Arkansas_angler - 10
LadyEngineer - 15
Sayitagain - 10
Q -10

I do plan on picking up a few extra if anyone needs some later.

Polijn, I'm meeting Jerry, of the Cachemates, in Glenwood for breakfast. He is then taking me caching. I'm not sure exactly where we will be, but I would love to come by for a visit. Hope to see you tomorrow.

Team_Pink
08-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I'll probably come down and get them. Arkansas_Angler, if you want me to I'll get yours as well. BTW, thanks for the help yesterday!

Woodwalker, I'll try to make it down next weekend. If storage is a problem I can come sooner.

30 cans for me and Arkanas_Angler

$50 for cans and gas.

Pilotsmom
08-11-2006, 06:24 PM
I would be interested in purchasing some cheap ammo cans. You can contact me at my personal email address: Pilotsmom@classicnet.net.

Becky
aka Pilotsmom :)

polijn
08-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Polijn, I'm meeting Jerry, of the Cachemates, in Glenwood for breakfast. He is then taking me caching. I'm not sure exactly where we will be, but I would love to come by for a visit. Hope to see you tomorrow.

If you stop by the visitor's center after noon, just ask for Ashley.

If you guys do come this way, you can bring me 10 cans. ;) If you don't come this way, I'll just get them the next run.

cachemates
08-12-2006, 07:49 PM
When I got to the cafe this morning at 7:45 woodwalker was not there, so I give him a call to see where he was. He was out caching. He drove from Searcy to Glenwood and was caching before 8:00 am. He is a early bird for sure.

After we had breakfast and did our usual geo-talking, we headed out for a few caches on lake Greeson. We both enjoyed feeding the catfish at the marina. After woodwalker found all the caches in the area we stopped by my shop. I wanted to show him some caches I was working on.

Just before we got to where the ammo can were, I got a call from ORR. He was about 5 minutes behind us. He had called while we were at breakfast and said he was on his way. We meet ORR at the rest area outside of town. More geo-talking takes place here. After a bit we head out for the ammo can loading.

If I can figure out how to post a picture you will see who worked the hardest loading these cans. Pay close attention to woodwalker. Not a hair out of place, no sweat anywhere. Now look at ORR. Since I was taking the picture you will just have to take my word, I looked like ORR. How does woodwalker always stay so neat. ORR and my self looked like we had been run through an automatic car wash.

ASD had to attend his grandpa's funeral so we didn't expect him until later in the day. Just as we were getting the cans loaded, it started thundering, lighting, and raining. ASD called from Hot Springs and would be there soon as possible. Knowing it would take at least an hour, we went back in to town.

When ASD got there we had most of his cans ready to be loaded. It didn't take long until they were all loaded and ready to hit the road. We had to do a little more geo-talking before we parted ways though. I had a good time today with woodwalker9, ORR and Arkansas Stickerdude. Thanks guys for coming down and loading cans. I couldn't have done it with out you.

woodwalker9- 85 cans
ORR- 25 cans
Myself- 20 cans for mountainborn
Arkansas Stickerdude- the winner today with------ 100 cans
Total today 230 cans.
There are plenty left for another dayhttp://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/1945Jero/100_1084.jpghttp://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/1945Jero/100_1083.jpg

OldRiverRunner
08-12-2006, 10:48 PM
This was truly a spur of the moment trip for me. I had noticed the forum logs a few days ago and was debating whether to get in on the cheap ammo boxes or not. Finally, this morning, I decided to go for it. I figured those guys would need some help. Also, I had been wanting to do some geocaching in the Glenwood area for some time, and this offered the perfect opportunity (and excuse, as if I need one! :D ).

Jerry's log explains it all. I had a great time meeting up with him and WW9 and enjoying their company while loading up all the cans. I came back to Russellville with 25 ammo cans. I only intend to keep about 5 of them and sell the rest, so if anyone in the Arkansas River Valley area needs some, let me know.

By the way, Jerry, THANKS for letting us know about this and coordinating the whole thing. And THANKS for all of your challenging caches I found today. You have some GREAT hides out there!!! -- ORR

Woodwalker9
08-13-2006, 08:51 AM
What a fantastic day. As Jerry said in his post, I met him for breakfast and we had a great visit. He then took me out to Lake Greeson for some serious geocaching. To echo ORR's post, he has some GREAT hides out there. I don't know how he thinks up some of the devious ways to hide caches, but he has some evil ones. Jerry, thank you so much for all your help with the cans and for a fantastic day of caching and visiting with a good friend. I really appreciate you.
It's always great to visit with ORR and ASD. ORR, I really appreciate all your help in loading my truck. It would have been tough without you. We got loaded just in time. It really poured just after you left.
I was unable to get as many cans on my truck as I had hoped, so I'm already planning another trip to pick up another load(actually it's another caching trip, but I'll get some cans while there). Thanks again guys and I’m sure all those who got cans yesterday thank you too.

Q
08-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Hey Woody, I sent you an email. You get some for me?? Let me know and thanks for your trouble.

arkansas_stickerdude
08-13-2006, 09:27 PM
What a great trip Thanks Jerry . Anyone IN NWA needing any I have 80 or so to sell here. I did manage to watch Jerry drive by the Rest stop while I was getting out to search for the cache there and a few more around town. Again Thanks for making the day better!!!!!!!!!!

topkitty98
08-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Ah, maybe not a hair out of place, but check the 2nd picture and the dragging head of said woodwalker9. Hmmm, as for the sweat, I cached with him this weekend and he does. (HA!) I, on the other hand, being a true lady only glisten. (She says with tongue politely in cheek batting her eyelashes as she fans to blow away her own stench.) :roll: :roll: :roll:

idratherbehiking
08-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Hey ORR, Do you still have any of the cans left? I was going to get in on the deal in the first place but when ya'll went to get them I was in South Carolina on the beach. I could use 10 if you have any left. Thanks

OldRiverRunner
08-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Hey ORR, Do you still have any of the cans left? ... I could use 10 if you have any left.

irbh, oh yeah, I still have all 25. I'll email you off the forum and set something up. -- ORR

Q
08-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Got my cans this morning from Woody. Thanks again. The dude wouldn't even take some extra ga$ money. The nerve of some people. :wink: Now someone turn off the heater so I can get out and stash a few newbies.

NeedForSpeed3685
08-21-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm anxious to pick up a few from Arkansas_Stickerdude since Hot Springs is too far of a drive for my budget!
Thanks to all for the great deal!

BrawnyBear
08-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Just wondering if there were about 75 cans available for purchase? MOGA 2007 needs to get 75 30 or 50 cal ammo cans for the event. We are on a tight budget so we would like a fair price. Anyone have that many?

I would drive to get them.

Thanks,
Brawny Bear

catfish101
08-26-2006, 01:13 PM
I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE 20 CANS WHEN SOMEONE GOES BACK

CATFISH101

cachemates
08-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Just met with flannelman and Lint ( His son Nathan ) and picked up his cans. Brawny Bear there are plenty more if you need them. These cans are outside and have some rust, but the inside of most of them are like new. Just so you know they are not shiny new.
Just let me know if you are coming. Woodwalker9 said he might come for more, maybe he can deliever a few more to those in the Searcy area.

flannelman
08-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks to Jerry of Cachemates for locating these cans for us. Some of them are really nice and some have some rust problems but not so bad that they cant be used. A little cammo paint and some swag and you're in business.

There are also some quality caches in the area so it is well worth the trip. I'll be going back to find the rest of the caches and maybr get some more FGC's.

FGC's - Future Geocache Containers AKA ammo cans

arkansas_stickerdude
08-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Catfish where are you located? BrawnyBear are you in MO if so I have 100 of them and I'm in Fort Smith I can meet you somewhere.

catfish101
08-28-2006, 02:11 PM
I AM IN JUDSONIA NEAR SEARCY

CATFISH101