PDA

View Full Version : Request for a cache by a state park

LongDogs
06-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I wanted to pass along this request. I hope one of us near the north east part of the state can help out.

Hello, I am with Arkansas State Parks and recently learned about the caches in some of our local parks. I am interested in finding someone to set one up in our park and was told you might be able to help me. We are a very small park in a somewhat out of the way location off I-55 and anything cached in our park would not be extremely difficult to find but would give those with mobility restrictions or young children a cache easy to find and get too. If you have any ideas or members who are looking for a new cache place I would be very interested in hearing from them.

Thanks you,

Amber Davis, CIG
Museum Program Assistant
PO Box 156
Wilson, AR 72395
(870) 655-8622
Fax: (870) 655-8061
amber.davis@arkansas.gov

nonnipoppy
06-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey Tech_Guy is this in your area?

Gaddiel
06-08-2006, 02:21 PM
:) I was just about to post this same request.

I want to add that it says a lot that the Arkansas State Parks system is contacting us requesting caches in their parks. Hope we can find someone to accommodate them.

I'm pretty sure that THIS (http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/park.asp?id=31) is the state park that is being discussed...

Gaddiel
06-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Amber adds,

"I look forward to getting a cache set up here and the visitors it will bring in to our park. I have to warn you though, our park is only about 4-5 acres in size and I have seen only 1 really good spot to hide a cache, however, on the up side it is easy to get to and would be great for younger people or people with limited mobility who can’t hike the longer trails. I appreciate your help and look forward to hearing from someone soon."

Team_Pink
06-08-2006, 04:05 PM
If we don't put one there, we'll find someone who will!

OldRiverRunner
06-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Amber adds,

"I look forward to getting a cache set up here and the visitors it will bring in to our park. I have to warn you though, our park is only about 4-5 acres in size and I have seen only 1 really good spot to hide a cache, however, on the up side it is easy to get to and would be great for younger people or people with limited mobility who can’t hike the longer trails. I appreciate your help and look forward to hearing from someone soon."

Sorry, Gaddiel, but these Old River Runner eyes couldn't read this! -- ORR
:wink:

arkansas_stickerdude
06-08-2006, 07:02 PM
If nobody wants to I'll go put one out and have the Parks dept mantain it. So someone speak up or I'll do it.

Team_Pink
06-08-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm only 84 miles so I can do it Arkansas_StickerDude. Fort Smith is over 300 miles.

There are some new cachers in our area and I thought it might be good to offer one of them the chance to place the hide but if no one is interested, I don't mind to make the short trip. I have been working on some "environmental convergence" ideas and it sounds like the park would be a great place to try one out!

Team_Pink
06-08-2006, 08:05 PM
ORR, if you can figure out how to get the first step of Mission: Improbable, you can figure out how to make the contrast problem in Gaddiel's message go away!

Gaddiel
06-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Oops. Sorry about that. I forget that others are probably not using the same theme as me... Hope this helps:

Amber adds,

Geezer_Veazey
06-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Amber, Why don't you go to http://www.geocaching.com and read all about our sport. I imagine you will want to get involved and this is as good a time as any. You could get a UserId and hide the cache yourself. The web site explains all about it, gives you instructions on setting up a UserId and has tips and guidelines for hiding caches.

If you set it up yourself, then each time someone finds it you will get an email with their log entry. It's really exciting. There are a host of people on this board ready and eager to help. Think about it, and best wishes.

Geezer

arkansas_angler
06-12-2006, 10:10 PM
If the offer is still up and tech_guy if you don't want to do it, I sure do need to put some hides out with my name on them. I've got a couple of containers made up, but just haven't found the right spot for 'em.

arkansas angler

LuckyoneinAR
06-13-2006, 03:07 PM
I have had a chance to talk to my geocaching partner - Gabby 01 - and we would like to try placing a cache here. He lives in Blytheville so we feel it would be easy to maintain. We haven't placed a cache yet so it will definitely be a learning experience. If I can get a thumbs up, we will contact the park within the next few days. Thanks for the opportunity. If it's already done, then we'll look forward to the hunt!

Geezer_Veazey
06-13-2006, 06:52 PM
May I remind everyone that it does not require a special invitation to place a cache. Find a nearby park, get permission if necessary and do it!

Geezer

Gaddiel
06-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Amen to that, Geezer!

Aaron_Alane2004 and LuckyoneinAR: Welcome to both of you and thanks for stepping up to offer to place caches!

It looks like that park is easily big enough to hold at LEAST two caches (just make sure they are at least one tenth of a mile apart, according to GC.com guidelines...)

...So I think you should BOTH put a cache there!

Wayne

TheAlabamaRambler
06-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Ditto the idea for two, maybe a large traditional family-friendly with kid stuff in it and, dare I say it, an easily accessible yet very high difficulty small or micro for a challenge?

I have a kewl hollow bolt I will contribute if anyone wants it!

I think it highly exciting and an honor to the Arkansas cachers who work with your state parks to promote our game while protecting the park's interests that you are being invited to do this - great work!

Ed

Team_Pink
06-19-2006, 08:51 PM
You two go ahead and go for it. I have talked to Amber a few times and she is excited about it. I was out last week and told her I would call when I got back. I'll call her and tell her that there are two cachers ready, willing, and able to take care of her request.

polijn
06-26-2006, 12:32 PM
I work at Lake Ouachita State Park. We have two caches on one of our hiking trails. Whoever's going to put a cache over at Hampton, they'll need to read the ASP guidelines for geocaching and fill out a form to turn into Hampton's superintendent. Which I'm sure Amber can forward to whoever that might be. :D You can find both of them at the ASP website on geocaching:

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things/geocache/

LuckyoneinAR
06-29-2006, 10:28 PM
:D Done - GCWW16 is now ready to go. :D

If anyone has any suggestions or if there is anything that should be done to improve the cache, please let me know. Thanks!

BTW - Amber Davis is a wonderful person to work with. If you happen to meet her while at the park, be sure to say hi.