PDA

View Full Version : These goggone Garmin guyz

mountainborn
04-02-2006, 07:10 PM
I expect that It is a form of flattery that these doggone Garmin guys should always throw down the gauntlet.
You know, the newbie on the scene, always trying to proooove them selves to be a peer.
After all, Magellan has been the world standard for many, many years.
Magellan is the navagational electronics that demanding professionals choose. Every time. Not occasionally. But absolutely every time.
So when a seasoned geocacher puts the coordinates into his Garmin, squares up his shoulders and looks you right in the eye. Then says, "ok, let's go".
Then, you know, without a doubt that the gauntlet has been thrown down !
The sheer audacity of this upstart in the world of navagational electronics !
Step for step, traveling side beside, Magellan versus Garmin, we closed in on the targeted coordinates.
Then suddenly without warning, the Garmin operator breaks pace. Hesitating and falling back. Studying the screen carefully. Moving much slower.
It worried me a bit at first. This seasoned Garmin geocacher lagging behind, while I continued on with my trusty Magellan.
I turned to look back. Then I saw it ! He had completely stopped. Looking around in a circle he was looking wildly about.
There he was on hard packed dirt, nothing anywhere near him looked like a hiding place.
Then he did it ! He actually placed his Garmin GPS on the ground and walked away from it !
The Garmin could not take him any further.
Yet there I was with my Magellan still moving in closer and closer to the actual coordinates.
In desperation the Garmin operator briskly abandoned his GPS and rushed ahead of me looking franticly for the find at the coordinates.
Then, just as I see the magellan has found the coordinates, the Garmin operator says triumphantly, "I found it, I think".
He was actually standing there with the find in his hand, and his Garmin was laying on the ground yards away, claiming victory !
He, he, he . . . . . .
Ok, let the fireworks begin !
I wonder who this mystery geocacher actually was.
The names have been omitted to protect the guilty.
Who will holler the loudest in this challenge of GPS giants ?
What is your favorite ?
Do you have a victory, defeat or tie story to tell ?

Geezer_Veazey
04-02-2006, 09:16 PM
deleted.

mountainborn
04-03-2006, 06:20 PM
The following are some excerps from the "mystery" garmin geocacher" cache logs:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
After a visit with the cache owner this morning we headed out to look at some coords that another cacher had mysteriously left with him. Early this morning and using inferior technology he struck out in his initial search.
Recognizing that xxxxxx and xxxxx were equipped with far superior GPSrs devices he requested assistance and we were all too glad to try to help out a fellow cacher in distress and one of Grannis' finest.

The advantage of the ultimate GPS receiver was readily apparent when one of the group said "I've got it" and have it he did indeed. Now what "it" was is top secret police stuff or TSPS and cannot be reveled here in these logs but needless to say it was an interesting find. If you knew exactly what it was your life might be in danger. You know national security and all.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Another cache log entry:
What a great day of caching in the Ouachitas!!! Before we found this cache, we stopped for a visit with Mountainborn. He told us that, unexpectedly, Cachemates had provided a bonus cache in the area. xxxxx and Mountainborn had to cuss and discuss the merits of Garmin vs. Magellan GPSers as we were seeking the new Arkansas geocoin that Cachemates had cleverly hidden to give to Mountainborn.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The actual identity of this mystery garmin geocacher is exxxe'd out to protect the identity of the guilty. :lol:

Geezer_Veazey
04-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I believe there is merit in what I posted earlier but I have no desire to become fodder for your crusade, and I certainly don't want to get involved in TSPS and national security issues so I will quietly bow out. I have deleted my previous post.

Geezer

cachemates
04-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Good story mountainborn." Icenrye" don't have any thing you and xxxx. :wink:

nonnipoppy
04-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Then suddenly without warning, the Garmin operator breaks pace. Hesitating and falling back. Studying the screen carefully. Moving much slower.
It worried me a bit at first. This seasoned Garmin geocacher lagging behind, while I continued on with my trusty Magellan.
I turned to look back. Then I saw it ! He had completely stopped. Looking around in a circle he was looking wildly about.
There he was on hard packed dirt, nothing anywhere near him looked like a hiding place.
Then he did it ! He actually placed his Garmin GPS on the ground and walked away from it !
The Garmin could not take him any further.

Could this be a matter of lacking observational skills? :?: Perhaps the Garmin had ALREADY shown the cacher where to look while lesser devices were still attempting to determine the location and as a courtesy not trying to show others up he was allowing them a "head start"?

Then, just as I see the magellan has found the coordinates, the Garmin operator says triumphantly, "I found it, I think".
He was actually standing there with the find in his hand, and his Garmin was laying on the ground yards away, claiming victory !

Please pardon my question here Mountainborn but do I read this correctly that while you were chasing your Magellan around the Garmin cacher actually located the cache.

So your point is??????? Was the object here to play with your GPSr or to locate the cache? Perhaps the two people had different goals.

mountainborn
04-05-2006, 05:01 AM
I believe there is merit in what I posted earlier but I have no desire to become fodder for your crusade, and I certainly don't want to get involved in TSPS and national security issues so I will quietly bow out. I have deleted my previous post.

Geezer
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Geezer, Poppi and I had so much fun with this when It happened that I thought posting it here would give others a chance to get in on the fun.
However, I am afraid that we have played it with too stern a face on it and have kept others out of the fun of it ! :oops:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ain't that just like them daggone Garmin guyz, takin' themselves way too serious.

nonnipoppy
04-05-2006, 05:23 AM
IMHO one of the real challenges on discussion forums is the use of only the written word makes it sometimes difficult to understand what the emotions of the posters actually are. 8O

That is what gave birth to the use of emoticons, :wink: smileys, :D and terms like ............LOL. Obviously our playful kidding each other was interpreted as something else. Knowing that our tongues were placed firmly in our cheek was not apparent to all. We failed to signal our emotions. :evil: Sorry about that. :oops:

:roll: But the true question is why have so many Magellan users switched to Garmin? :idea: I can name three, that readily come to mind, that are now using a Garmin for their primary unit. :wink: I know of no one that has done the opposite. :D 8O :? 8) :lol: :o

mountainborn
04-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Poppy said:
But the true question is why have so many Magellan users switched to Garmin? I can name three, that readily come to mind, that are now using a Garmin for their primary unit.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Oh, geeze ! He's gona' call names ! :cry:
Look out you faithless "ship jumpers" !! 8O
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Demanding navagational professionals have requirements for many features to enhance their skills.
The mass of data that is available is often overpowering for the occasional recreational user.
So, some opt for the simpler Garmin with less capability. :wink:
Geeze, I hope I got enough emoticons inserted into this post. :lol:

nonnipoppy
04-05-2006, 05:47 AM
So, some opt for the simpler Garmin with less capability. :wink:

8O 8O Now there gentle readers is the epitome of self delusion and rationalization. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mountainborn
04-05-2006, 07:11 AM
There are those in this world that are content with second place. Those are the ones who will vaguely steer along their course in a stripped GEO, using a Garmin. They are content to meerly get close to the target.
However, on the other hand there are those who strive for the best in performance. They may be seen geocaching on a regular basis with quality equipment. A Jeep and a Magellan ! They are the ones who always seem to be exactly on the target !
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Oh, geeze, I almost forgot to add some emoticons.
Can I get away with "kind of clumping " them all at the end ?
:roll: :roll: :P :? :? :D :D 8O 8O :?: :?:

Team_Pink
04-05-2006, 08:00 AM
If I'm not mistaken, both first and second place prizes at Naturefish's Petit Jean Mountain get together went to an Etrex.

And that is all I have to say about that! :wink:

mountainborn
04-05-2006, 09:33 AM
If I'm not mistaken, both first and second place prizes at Naturefish's Petit Jean Mountain get together went to an Etrex.

And that is all I have to say about that! :wink:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Etrex ?
Is that a new European unit ?
Seems like I have herd of it some where before, but it has been quite some time .
Maybe in a magazine article in the dentist office. The magazine was quite old and wrinkled.
As I recall it was a smooth plastic housing that didn't have a proper rubber bumper on it for serious out of doors use.
And it looked like it could slip from a sweaty hand and be damaged.
It appeared to be somewhat fragile.
I can't remember for sure, but seems like it may not have even been waterproof.
Do they still make this type of unit ?
Thanks for jumping in Tech_guy, i'll see if I can lead you off into deep water. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

04-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Being "new" to the sport I have no preconceptions about the difference between a magellan and a garmin, but I'd sure take my new 60Cx over the SporTrak Pro I started with.

The SporTrak often takes two or three minutes to get it's fix and seldom gets more than five satelites, the 60Cx will lock in under thirty seconds, usually has from eight to ten birds at a time and can even track while indoors. (depending on the roofing material/thickness)

Of course there are years of difference between the units' technology that count for more than the brand name, but I haven't heard of a Magellan that can match the 60Cx so far.

Geezer_Veazey
04-05-2006, 02:32 PM
From Webster's Online Dictionary.

Magellan

Main Entry: Ma·gel·lan
Pronunciation: m&-'je-l&n, chiefly British -'ge-
Function: biographical name
Ferdinand circa 1480-1521 Portuguese Fernão de Magalhães Portuguese navigator & explorer; sailed from Spain to Philippines (where he died) around tip of So. America; ships continued to Spain in first circumnavigation of globe
They got their name because they have a habit of dying! :roll:

Oh, geeze ! He's gona' call names !
Watch it, there! You came real close to callin' names. :oops:

mountainborn
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
G_V said:
Ferdinand circa 1480-1521 Portuguese Fernão de Magalhães Portuguese navigator & explorer; sailed from Spain to Philippines (where he died).
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
He succumbed to an intestinal parasite at the age of 41. Seems like the vicious intestinal parasite was pronounced Ga-rm-in. :cry:
The initial symptoms were:
Loss of orientation
inability to tell up from down
aimlessly wandering in circles
continuous searching for who knows what :?
>
A serious malady indeed, every since serious navigators have avoided Garmin like a plague ! :lol:
>
However those recreational users of Ga-rm-in seem to just be mildly effected. 8O
Geeze, using all these emoticons takes time !
Oh, by the way Geezer, it just ain't right for you to try to put actual facts into this melee ! :P

Geezer_Veazey
04-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Geeze, using all these emoticons takes time !

There you go again, almost callin' names.

nonnipoppy
04-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Being "new" to the sport I have no preconceptions about the difference between a magellan and a garmin, but I'd sure take my new 60Cx over the SporTrak Pro I started with.

That adds yet another name to the phalanx of individuals that have arrived from over on the dark side. :lol:

To ar_kayaker: you prove that new and delusional are not synonymous. :D :D :D

They got their name because they have a habit of dying!

And so now general Custer what is your strategy? Perhaps blindly following the original plan? This is you opportunity to retreat while your scalp is still intact. A truly wise individual would just not answer and allow this thread to blend into obscurity and keep you from further embarassment.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d188/nonnipoppy/sig_popcorn.gif

mountainborn
04-05-2006, 05:01 PM
nonnipoppy said:
That adds yet another name to the phalanx of individuals that have arrived from over on the dark side. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/mountainborn0/dontknowSmiley.gif
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Watch out now, he's startin to "OUT" those shipjumpers !
The name calling has began !http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/mountainborn/smiley_013.gif
To be pointed out as one who has left the ranks of serious professional navigators, to become one of those, ...... well, you know, ...... recreational users, ... , on a public forum ! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
nonnipoppy said:
phalanx of individuals
>
Wow there is more "OUTING" yet to come !!! 8O 8O 8O
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Garmin users rest assured that the more PROFESSIONAL MAGELLAN users will not ever cause such public embarrasment.
When you move up from recreational garmin user to become a professional navigator, you will be confident to the extent that, outing a user of another brand will not be necessary.
You will be confident in the quality of your equipment and its accuracy.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I thought I would use an emoticon that I hadn't used before. :wink:

Geezer_Veazey
04-05-2006, 07:23 PM
To be pointed out as one who has left the ranks of serious professional navigators, to become one of those, ...... well, you know, ...... recreational users, ... , on a public forum !

Did I miss something???

mountainborn
04-05-2006, 07:31 PM
To be pointed out as one who has left the ranks of serious professional navigators, to become one of those, ...... well, you know, ...... recreational users, ... , on a public forum !

Did I miss something???
>
Nah, same ol' BS, you know, BULL STUFF. :wink:

nonnipoppy
04-05-2006, 07:44 PM

Did I miss something???
>
Nah, same ol' BS, you know, BULL STUFF. :wink:

Well well well. Finally, at long last, an accurate statement from the man. Obvoiusly the citizens of Grannis were law abiding today. Someone has had faaaaaarr to much time to play on the computer. :lol: 8O :D :) :o :P :roll: :wink:

flannelman
04-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Proud recreational user and owner of the second place in the accuracy contest, Garmin eTrex Legend, which, as already pointed out, was also the first place model. :D

Never tried a Magellan. I didn't like the layout of the controls.

Maybe some day all Magellan users will see the :idea: 8) :!:

:arrow: :( :evil: :x 8O :roll: :) :D :lol: 8)

mountainborn
04-06-2006, 05:27 AM
Proud recreational user and owner of the second place in the accuracy contest, Garmin eTrex Legend, which, as already pointed out, was also the first place model. :D

Never tried a Magellan. I didn't like the layout of the controls.

Maybe some day all Magellan users will see the :idea: 8) :!:

:arrow: :( :evil: :x 8O :roll: :) :D :lol: 8)

WOoo HOOo ! We be gettin those emoticons in there now !
By the way Flannelman, congratulations on your accuracy in the contest. :wink:
>
Not bad for a ocasional recreational gps user ! :D

mountainborn
04-06-2006, 05:53 AM
While caching up on Rich Mountain, I came across a sad spectacle. Here was this geocacher on the Lovers Leap Trail, stumbling along. GPS held up high in front of him. It had came a rain shower and the paper bag over his head was kind of "droopy". The eye holes were sagging badly. The cacher was gasping for air but would not remove the wet paperbag from his head. :(
Willing to talk, he needed the rest stop I think, he told me that, "I have kin folks on the trail and I don't want them to know that it is me using a Garmin" ! :lol:
"You see, sadly he said, I am from a long line of professional navigators, and am the black sheep of the family". " The rest of the family is very tech savvy. and can readily operate the superior MAGELLAN". "While I have to settle for the simpler Garmin".
"The rest of the MAGELLAN using family members have already found the cache and are at the picnic. As soon as I find this cache, I will hide this old Garmin, pull off the paper bag and go to the picnic also."
" 8O I see you are using a MAGELLAN, he said, is there any chance you could give me a hint ?" 8O
Here is a photo of the man's wife using his Garmin at Ayer's Rock in Australlia:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/mountainborn0/last_spotted2_big.jpg

nonnipoppy
04-06-2006, 06:24 AM
While caching up on Rich Mountain, I came across a sad spectacle. Here was this geocacher on the Lovers Leap Trail, stumbling along. GPS held up high in front of him. It had came a rain shower and the paper bag over his head was kind of "droopy". The eye holes were sagging badly. The cacher was gasping for air but would not remove the wet paperbag from his head. :(
Willing to talk, he needed the rest stop I think, he told me that, "I have kin folks on the trail and I don't want them to know that it is me using a Garmin" ! :lol:
"You see, sadly he said, I am from a long line of professional navigators, and am the black sheep of the family". " The rest of the family is very tech savvy. and can readily operate the superior MAGELLAN". "While I have to settle for the simpler Garmin".
"The rest of the MAGELLAN using family members have already found the cache and are at the picnic. As soon as I find this cache, I will hide this old Garmin, pull off the paper bag and go to the picnic also."
" 8O I see you are using a MAGELLAN, he said, is there any chance you could give me a hint ?" 8O

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d188/nonnipoppy/pukeface.gif

mountainborn
04-06-2006, 07:59 AM
:mrgreen: he he he :lol:
>
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/mountainborn0/BBrock.gif

flannelman
04-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the congrats :D ! I'm looking forward to bringing my Garmin to the Moutain Clan cachers event.

Nice paper bag!! 8)

LadyEngineer
04-07-2006, 05:41 AM
Well I just have to say that if your a true blue pro at navigating, you wouldn't be wasting your time with a Magellan or a Garmin. Why use 10 to 30 ft accuracy when you can have 2 cm. That's right, I said 2 (count them 1, 2) centimeter accuracy. That's about the width of two pinkie fingers for those of us that need a visual size reference.

Trimble is the only way to go. Most of us just can't afford the technology.

:twisted: Sorry just had to say something because my house uses both and I've seen the Garmin out do the Magellen and the Magellen out do the Garmin. Truelly they are both the same but neither of them can touch a Trimble.

8)

LE

nonnipoppy
04-07-2006, 06:13 AM
Now here we were having a great argument when a darn gone Injin-ear type started to bring facts into the talkin.

But since that happened we are pleased to announce that the GPS accuracy contest at This Event (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=39ec639b-37e7-43ed-af57-d4b5f5baa6b7) will be set and overseen by some fellers using THIS TRULY PROFESSIONAL type of eqipment.

By the way the times and events have been http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d188/nonnipoppy/updated3.gif

So be sure and note the changes.

Then the arguments and EXCUSES can commence. Mountain born will be there to show everyone just how accurate his Maggie truly is or perhaps he will be like the time he was looking for the coin that Cachemates left it was like this: http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d188/nonnipoppy/headmove_e0.gif

Hope to see you all there and put this argument to bed before General Custer gets massacred.

mountainborn
04-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Facts ? Facts !
Man I sure hate to ruin a really good arguement with facts.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
However the fact is:
The Meridian GOLD GPS has the most detailed basemap of any handheld GPS on the market today. It's large 16 megabyte US database includes highways, major roads, parks, waterways, airports, cities and more. This is more than twice the detail of most handhelds on the market.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/mountainborn/magellanGold.jpg
And they ( Magellan Gold ) are selling right now at the GPS Store for $139.00 !! 8O 8O 8O
OOps, I almost forgot, the E trex legend has only 8 mb of memory and sells for more money !
Not only does the legend just have 8 mb of internal memory, it will only hold an additional 8 mb of memory. :oops:
The Magellan gold has a SD card slot that can take up to 1 full giga byte !! :lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/mountainborn/kingstonSDcard.jpg
Wouldnt it be cool to place the whole North American continent topographic map on the SD card and have it available at the push of a button ?

mountainborn
04-07-2006, 08:10 AM
All of this good natured poking of fun at each other points out a thing that is easy to overlook.
This ain't about the equipment, no siree !
It ain't about the equipment at all.
Any given device may beat out all others one day and totaly fail the next.
This sport of ours is all, I repeat, all, about the people !
How well the people learn, understand and operate their respective devices.
Those devices that get so much attention are not able to shake your hand or look you in the eye and say good job on that last cache !
The Pettit Jean event would have been a failure if it wasn't for the input and handling of some great , tallented folks. That was one good time with my fellow geocachers, and the devices didn't make it that way, the people did.
No matter how much fun poppy and I poke at each other, and please don't misunderstand, we enjoy it, we both know that it is the people , not the device that make this sport great ! :wink:

Team_Pink
04-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks for jumping in Tech_guy, i'll see if I can lead you off into deep water. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's fine. I'll have my Garmin with me to get back! :D

Geezer_Veazey
04-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Facts ? Facts !
Man I sure hate to ruin a really good arguement with facts.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I do to, but here goes:

Wouldnt it be cool to place the whole North American continent topographic map on the SD card and have it available at the push of a button ?
What good does it do to have the whole North American continent topographic map if it is inaccurate?
I have a cache very near the peak of Chinquapin Mountain. Deezer was standing on the peak and noticed that his Magellan topographic lines showed him standing off down the side of the hill. We took a picture of it and sent it to Magellan but we never heard from them. Hmmm. I guess there was no explanation other than they are outright incorrect and they didn't want to admit to that.

Guess you'll have to trash your Magellan. Sorry about that. I have heard that it is quite tramatic when something you have believed so strongly all your life turns out to be not true. Normal reaction is to get defensive or perhaps start rationalizing or just joking away the situation. That's all right. We understand.

mountainborn
04-07-2006, 04:17 PM
G_V said:
Normal reaction is to get defensive or perhaps start rationalizing or just joking away the situation. That's all right. We understand.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I wish I could think of something to say that would not fall into one of those categorys.
I think that it is clear that you have had the last word in this ! :mrgreen:

Geezer_Veazey
04-07-2006, 07:37 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is the proof:

http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/0651f8f3-d328-4716-afcd-0c7fa5f86c2c.jpg

http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/da6b1daa-46bf-4c0b-b528-7ab0ce3c2684.jpg

nonnipoppy
04-22-2006, 08:43 PM
***New News***New News*** New News*** New News***

Today in the GPS accuracy test at The Third Time Is The Charm we had almost 50 participants. The list of contenders even included a Lowrance.

The initial coords were gathered by a $30,000 Trimble GPSr that is accurate to within less than 1/2 inch.

The top ten finishers and there distance from the point were:

1. Garmin 10 ft
2. Garmin 10.2 ft
3. Garmin 12.7 ft
4. Garmin 13.6 ft
5. Magellan 13.8 ft 8O
6. Garmin 13.9 ft
7. Magellan 14.6 ft 8O
8. Garmin 14.75ft
9. Garmin 15.4ft
10. Garmin 15.8ft

This set of statistics cleary show the Garmin superiority to all but the blind and those unable to accept cold hard fact. :roll: :lol: :wink: 8O :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW the antagonist was missed today...poppy

mountainborn
04-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Ok, I am back from the Lake and I am ready to get back into the fray !
Unless the modle of the GPS is listed those statistics have little meaning.
Example:
Garmin 60csx
VS
Magellan Gold
This comparrison doesn't prove Garmin superiority.
It only proves that Garmins latest technology will out perform a Magellan Gold that is obsolete, it isn't even manufactured anymore.
Wal mart has almost sold out the remaining stocks of magellan golds at discounted prices.
Many new to the sport chose a less expensive GPS to start learning on.

mountainborn
04-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Garmin 60Csx
Garmin part number: 010-00422-00

Suggested Retail Price:
$535.70 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Magellan eXplorist XL North America

Enlarge Image to
View the Interactive Flash file!

Online Price : $399.99

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Both of these figures are from the respective web sites.
Ok, garmin fanatics, let the raving begin !

mountainborn
04-28-2006, 01:05 PM
OOps, I almost forgot:
poppy said:
BTW the antagonist was missed today...poppy
Thanks !
The inlaws and outlaws have came to expect a fish fry the last weekend of the annual Greeson trip. I tried to duck out of it by keeping a low profile, so we could make the Clarksvill event. It didn't work.
Poor butcherknife ! She cooked fish for hours.
Poor mountainborn ! He had to put up with his favorite brother in law.
Then the next day, clean up and break camp, go home and unpack stuff.

mountainborn
04-28-2006, 01:11 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is the proof:

http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/0651f8f3-d328-4716-afcd-0c7fa5f86c2c.jpg

http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/da6b1daa-46bf-4c0b-b528-7ab0ce3c2684.jpg
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Geezer, that gps is older than the geocacher holding it !
No doubt it has found many a geocache, but the number of sattelites it can aquire is limited because of its age.
That gps will not do the WAAS function.

mountainborn
04-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Poppy said:
1. Garmin 10 ft
2. Garmin 10.2 ft
3. Garmin 12.7 ft
4. Garmin 13.6 ft
5. Magellan 13.8 ft
6. Garmin 13.9 ft
7. Magellan 14.6 ft
8. Garmin 14.75ft
9. Garmin 15.4ft
10. Garmin 15.8ft
What your suspect statistics say is:
Magellans #5 & #7 are within .8 of a foot of each other !
Now that is consistency !
Garmins vary widely up to 5.8 feet of each other !

Geezer_Veazey
04-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Poppy said:
1. Garmin 10 ft
2. Garmin 10.2 ft
3. Garmin 12.7 ft
4. Garmin 13.6 ft
5. Magellan 13.8 ft
6. Garmin 13.9 ft
7. Magellan 14.6 ft
8. Garmin 14.75ft
9. Garmin 15.4ft
10. Garmin 15.8ft
What your suspect statistics say is:
Magellans #5 & #7 are within .8 of a foot of each other !
Now that is consistency !
Garmins vary widely up to 5.8 feet of each other !
HEY! Take a look at Garmins #1 & #2. Within .2 of a foot of each other! Now that is consistency! :D

Don't be trying to confuse us by comparing apples and oranges (accuracy and consistency).

I guess there is something to be said for being wrong if you are consistently wrong. :oops:

mountainborn
04-28-2006, 04:31 PM

That's fine. I'll have my Garmin with me to get back! :D
>>>>>>>>>>>>
Luckily all the search and rescue teams are carrying the choice of professionals, their Magellans will be able to bring you out.

arkansas_stickerdude
04-29-2006, 10:11 AM
OK my Garmin was #3 and it is a Garmin GPSMap 60c and I bought it for $350 over 2 years ago. OMG has a GPSMap 60csx and he was pretty close to the furthest away, (Sorry OMG I had to rub it in again)LOL. The top 4 garmins were within 3 feet of each other and an ammo can is what a foot and a half long so that would put a GARMIN within a foot and a half from the cache. In my book thats colse enough for me.

OzarkMtnGhost
05-01-2006, 01:57 PM
I was told that my good friend ARStickerdude, made a commit about my new Garmin 60Cx (the "x" means faster satellite acquisition, not better accuracy) and how the old one was more close. Thats true, his was closer, but we forget that the GPS is only half of the equation, the person operating the unit is the other part of the equation. So to defend my unit, I would have to say it was only good as I was on that day. It was still within 20 feet of the that high dollar trimble and thats nothing to sneeze at. Also, if I need to be right on top of a cache to find it, thats pretty bad, kinda takes the fun out of the game. :lol:

mbell72901
05-02-2006, 03:19 PM
OMG, since when did you ever pay attention to what ASD had to say?
I figure if we were within site of that stick, that was close enough. LOL

nonnipoppy
05-03-2006, 09:39 AM
I was told that my good friend ARStickerdude, made a commit about my new Garmin 60Cx (the "x" means faster satellite acquisition, not better accuracy) and how the old one was more close. Thats true, his was closer, but we forget that the GPS is only half of the equation, the person operating the unit is the other part of the equation. So to defend my unit, I would have to say it was only good as I was on that day. It was still within 20 feet of the that high dollar trimble and thats nothing to sneeze at. Also, if I need to be right on top of a cache to find it, thats pretty bad, kinda takes the fun out of the game. :lol:

Be careful here guys and keep your eye on the emeny. :o 8O Do not allow him to divide and conquer. :D

Just be aware that General Custer is a slippery dude that constantly uses misdirection to confuse his opponents. (and that ain't to hard for some of us).

His motto seems to be "If you can't dazzle 'em with truth, then baffle 'em with B.S. :roll: :roll: :P :P

mountainborn
05-03-2006, 05:20 PM

Be careful here guys and keep your eye on the emeny. :o 8O Do not allow him to divide and conquer. :D

Just be aware that General Custer is a slippery dude that constantly uses misdirection to confuse his opponents. (and that ain't to hard for some of us).

His motto seems to be "If you can't dazzle 'em with truth, then baffle 'em with B.S. :roll: :roll: :P :P
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
He , , , HE , ,. , HE . . . . ..
We has met the enemy, . . . . and he is . . . . us ! :lol:

OldRiverRunner
05-03-2006, 09:02 PM
:?: What no one has mentioned here about the accuracy contest results is that ALL of the personal GPS units were off in the same direction from the "true" location. 8O I find this consistent bias in the readings (to the west or northwest, if I recall) very curious. I would have expected that the personal GPS readings would have been located AROUND the "true" location - some to the south, some to the north, some to the east, and some to the west. :idea: Not so! 8O I guess this means that neither Garmin NOR Magellan units are worth a flip! :wink: -- ORR

P.S. Sorry for the diversion from the philosophical musings about which is better - Ford or Chevy, Garmin or Magellan. :oops: You may return to battle. :twisted:

arkansas_stickerdude
05-03-2006, 09:05 PM
ORR good observation. But get real DODGE and GARMIN is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!

nonnipoppy
05-03-2006, 09:15 PM

The epitome of eloquence here for sure.

mountainborn
05-06-2006, 05:56 AM
Stickerdude ! Tell me it ain't so !
A DODGE and a GARMIN ?
At the same time ?
NO !!!
You just gotta' be a' pullin' our leg !
Nobody is that big of a glutton for punishment.
You will have to be careful with a combination like that. Be sure to not get near a fault line or anything. The earth could just rip apart in the presence of so much . . . HYPERBOLE . .. :lol:

nonnipoppy
05-06-2006, 06:23 AM

You will have to be careful with a combination like that. Be sure to not get near a fault line or anything. The earth could just rip apart in the presence of so much . . . HYPERBOLE . ..

Your Honor, I rest my case.

mountainborn
05-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Poppy said:
Your Honor, I rest my case.
Rainin' where you are at today also, eh ? :lol:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I got a call from ALOFT23 yesterday evening ( N/E Texas ), asking about the weather, stream crossings, ect..
He decided to go to Dallas so he would pass thru this weather front sooner and have better caching weather.
He allowed as how he would be in this area in a couple of weeks. 8)
That would make it about the time Butcherknife and I are in Charleston South Carolina for a ship's reunion.

nonnipoppy
05-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Is he headed to your area to cache? We might be able to handle him here but we will be gone the weekend of the 20th and the following one for the record attempt run and then GeowoodstockIV.

It will be interesting to cache with the Germans on this record attempt and see how many use that inferior Magellan equipment. :wink:

mountainborn
05-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Poppy said:
Is he headed to your area to cache?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Not this weekend, two weeks from now.
Those Germans know the difference between "hobby equipment" and professional grade navagational equipment.
Count them close ! :lol:

nonnipoppy
05-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Hey General Custer,

I was speaking to geopirat the German cacher who currently hold the world record for caches found in 24 hours today. He is the team leader for our upcoming attempt to break the current record.

Technology abounds with this group so much that it makes my head swim.

We have had several Skype (free telephone program) conversations about our attempt. Today I ask the question " What kind of GPSrs will you guys be using? The answer was "To a man GARMIN GPSMap 60CSx".

It is now time for your lame off subject rebuttal. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d188/nonnipoppy/sig_popcorn.gif

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d188/nonnipoppy/looking.gif

mountainborn
05-14-2006, 05:25 AM
Poppy said:
We have had several Skype (free telephone program) conversations about our attempt. Today I ask the question " What kind of GPSrs will you guys be using? The answer was "To a man GARMIN GPSMap 60CSx".
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
No doubt Garmin is trying to get a toe hold on the EU market. They have traditionaly done so poorly there that it effects their credibility world wide.
Probably a sponsorship endeavor. :)
A desperate attempt to gain name recognition for their flawed product. :)

nonnipoppy
05-14-2006, 06:47 AM
No doubt Garmin is trying to get a toe hold on the EU market. They have traditionaly done so poorly there that it effects their credibility world wide.
Probably a sponsorship endeavor.

Actually I queried him on this point and he allowed that when most Germans went to a store to purchase a GPSr that the Thales produced uinits all just gave up and quit. 8O :oops:

Perhaps it is heredity or history. I'm not sure which. :?:

Nice try to baffle the enlightened masses with your propaganda there Gen Custer. But you are headed for Little Big Horn at an alarming rate..... :cry: :cry: :wink:

:idea: But with a christian spirit I will now say that if you will stop all of this delusional foolishness we will forgive you and ignore it when you get a real GPSr.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

mountainborn
05-14-2006, 07:01 AM
Poppy said:
But with a christian spirit I will now say that if you will stop all of this delusional foolishness we will forgive you and ignore it when you get a real GPSr.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Actually I have been looking at buying a new GPS.
This old Magellan gold that I have been carrying is not being manufactured anymore. :cry:

nonnipoppy
05-14-2006, 07:08 AM
I will admit that I have lust in my heart for a Garmin 60 CSx. I just can't make myself buy it while this 60CS works as well as it does.....poppy

mountainborn
05-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Garmin 60csx vs. Magellan eXplorist XL

http://www.correlates.com/details?left= ... B000CSOXTO (http://www.correlates.com/details?left=B000BGTVDK&right=B000CSOXTO)
Here they are, side by side, lets compare the features that will be most useful to the geocacher.
Lets don't make it a brand name contest, lets objectively look at the pros and cons of each.

mountainborn
05-14-2006, 05:10 PM
The first thing I notice is the Magellan XL requires 4 AA bateries for 19 hours.
The Garmin csx needs 2 AA batterys for 20 hours.
Nearly twice the battery consumption ! :cry:

nonnipoppy
05-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Well mountainborn you can decide out of all that which one you want. Reading several of the posts in the GPS and Software topic on GC.com I think there is little question that customer service (if you need it) from Garmin is absolutely outstanding. :D :D :D

Seriously most of the cachers that I have know that own or owned a Magellan have switched to Garmin. That does not make them the best but the most popular. For someone that is technically savvy the ability to have access to lots of others with knowledge on that unit is probably not a big deal. :wink:

In addition your iconoclastic personality may prevent you from making that choice. 8O

Good luck with your choice and may the farce be with you........poppy

mountainborn
05-17-2006, 07:02 AM
As Bevis would say:
iconoclastic, he, he, he . . . he said iconoclastic . .
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/mountainborn0/BBrock.gif
Geeze poppy, this is a family forum !
Can you realy say that in mixed company ?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/mountainborn0/ZebraGEO.jpg

06-09-2007, 02:23 PM
I have no idea which is the best GPSr. i do like my Magellan explorist 210 though. It usually gets me to within a couple feet no matter the weather or tree cover. Also, while caching last Friday with the family. I inadvertantly left my GPS on the top of the car! Dumb. I realized my mistake a few minutes later as it flew off, hit the trunk, and bounced down the highway. We retrieved it and I was allready wondering how to replace it when my wife showed me that it was fine! Pretty tough.

AR-HICK
06-10-2007, 07:28 AM
I have went to the Dark Side :twisted: , I went from a explorist 200 to a 60CSx. I tried a 500LE and didn't like it. If I was going to buy a Magellen It would be the 210. Why would I do that I own the best geocaching gps made. :D Garmin 60 CSx. :twisted: I now have the power of the Dark side and I like it :twisted:

nonnipoppy
06-10-2007, 08:59 AM
I have no idea which is the best GPSr.........

In my opinion the best GPSr is the one in my hand that leads me to the next cache.

I will admit that I have lust in my heart for a Garmin 60 CSx. I just can't make myself buy it while this 60CS works as well as it does.....

My lust overcame my ability to resist and we ordered a 60CSx just in time to use it heading to N.C. for Geowoodstock 5. We really like it.

Mountainborn did you ever buy another GPSr? If so what did you choose?

5beavers
06-25-2007, 06:53 AM
AR-HICK is a traitor!! I knew it was just a matter of time before I converted him.HA!HA!HA! :twisted:

TopSgtLawrence
06-11-2008, 06:35 PM

The SporTrak often takes two or three minutes to get it's fix and seldom gets more than five satelites, the 60Cx will lock in under thirty seconds, usually has from eight to ten birds at a time and can even track while indoors. (depending on the roofing material/thickness)

Of course there are years of difference between the units' technology that count for more than the brand name, but I haven't heard of a Magellan that can match the 60Cx so far.

I started out with the sportrak pro, I got so tired of the unit not operating correctly in the trees, I went to the 60cx, nice, I can now download coordinates directly to my GPS and the Sportrak would not do that.