PDA

View Full Version : ammo cans

flannelman
01-26-2006, 09:55 PM
I need a supply of ammo cans and my local (Hot Springs) surplus stores suck. Are there any good places in Little Rock or close by to get ammo cans?

Woodwalker9
01-27-2006, 12:27 AM
I get my cans at Smitty's in EL Paso. They are just north of Hwy. 64 on Hwy. 5, east side of the road. You can't miss them. A huge Yellow building. They usually have a great supply of all sizes. The last ones that I bought were $3 each or 2 for $5 for the small ones. It's a very interesting place to visit.

Ltfightr
01-27-2006, 06:59 PM
I just bought a bunch of ammo cans at a very reasonable price in Hot Springs on Carpenter Dam road at Shaddy hills rd there at the side of the road flee market.

Black Knight
01-27-2006, 07:20 PM
If you are going the other way down I-30 you can get some good deals in Hooks, Texas there is a big surplus place right one the side of the Interstate, you can get ammo cans and decon boxes at a good price.

DK

nonnipoppy
01-27-2006, 09:07 PM
You can also check Cheaperthandirt.com. They are pretty reasonable.

flannelman
01-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out that roadside flea market, I didn't know there was one down there. I have looked at cheaper than dirt and cabelas too and they aren't bad at all I just wanted to find some that I could get locally and not have to pay shipping.

BACKPACKNJACK
01-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Gun Shows.
They are all over the state, they are in many other states you may visit, they happen often, you can wheel and deal, you don't have to already know what size can you want when you can just look for something that looks right for the area you have in mind, no shipping, and sometimes no tax.
Shipping will eat you up most of the time.

OldRiverRunner
01-31-2006, 06:44 PM
Shipping will eat you up most of the time.

Given the price of gas these days, I'd advise anyone to do the math before deciding against ordering from some place like CheaperThanDirt. My experience with them has been nothing but good. Their shipping charges are not bad and they ship by FedEx. Translation: You get the shipment within one or two days. If you live close to a supply source or will be going by there anyway, then ordering online may not be the best choice. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in my local area that carries ammo cans, so I generally order online. -- ORR

BACKPACKNJACK
01-31-2006, 10:11 PM
I'd advise anyone to do the math before deciding against ordering from some place like CheaperThanDirt.
Copied directly from the Cheaperthandirt web site:
“Original US standard 50 cal. ammo can is rugged and stack-able; removable lid, rubber gasket seal, and folding handle. Used and may have rust or dents, handle styles may vary, no choice. Length: 11" Height: 7" Width: 5.5" Military colors, may vary slightly. $11.97 each. Plus shipping “
Shipping is $15.97 *Now that was for only 5 cans* and using the shipping chart because the only way to find out for sure was to complete the order with name password, etc.) for a 5 can total of $75.82 (folks, that’s $15.16 each)

I have never paid more then $4.50 for a can at a gun show. I called my brother and neither has he, and I get to see the dints or rust, not as listed above. The last cans I bought were at a gun show in Little Rock. He was asking $4.00 and he would eat the tax. We wheeled and dealed for awhile and I offered to buy every one he had (that ended up being 22 of them) if he would take $2.75 plus tax. Well, 22 ammo cans in a Sebring is a site to see. 11” X 7” X 5.75”, no rust, no dents, no shipping, no waiting and the seals look new.
Ammo cans are great containers even if you don’t make caches out of them.
So now let’s "do the math" folks.
22 cans from the gun show= $65.04 (including the tax and he helped me load them)
22 cans from CheaperThanDirt= $333.52 (including shipping as close as I can figure it without joining the site and giving them my private info plus my email address but maybe some one else can help with the true shipping cost.)
Just for fun now, even if I had paid the full asking price it would have been only $88.00 (with free loading).
It was information I thought would be useful to those looking for cheaper cans, and I did do the math

OldRiverRunner
01-31-2006, 10:39 PM
It never fails to amaze me how spun up some people get about postings in these forums. And how they can often miss the point completetly. Apparently, offense was taken at my remark that folks should consider all the options (and costs) before driving long distances to buy some ammo cans. When I said, "do the math," I was talking about figuring in the cost of your gasoline (not to mention your time) in driving some distance to buy ammo cans. As I stated in my post, I don't have any options in my local area and it doesn't make much sense to me to drive 60 miles to buy some ammo cans unless I just happen to be going that way. The prices and shipping costs quoted in the previous log for CheaperThanDirt surprise me. I have ordered from them several times and never have experienced the sort of prices and shipping costs quoted. If you don't want to buy from them, fine, then don't. But don't mis-represent the costs.

BACKPACKNJACK
02-01-2006, 11:21 AM
It seems that in one day you managed to jump on Naturefish for trying to pick the most convenient time to host a meeting,

go ahead and set a date and not worry about who can or cannot attend. -- ORR
and you jumped on me for posting a way to get cheaper ammo cans, and then accused me of mis-representing the cost of ammo cans on CTD.

If you don't want to buy from them, fine, then don't. But don't mis-represent the costs.
Sir, the people here know how honest I am and I believe we have seen this type of aggressive, disruptive, accusatory posting before. That’s why we have had to add moderators.
Everyone here has internet access and knows how to use the link I've added so there would be no point to my mis-representing, just click the button.
I wish you a good day sir, and I realize you don't know me, so no hard feelings.
Cheaperthandirt ammo cans (http://http://www.CheaperThanDirt.com/ZAA095-566-1375.html/)

Gaddiel
02-01-2006, 12:09 PM
BACKPACKNJACK and OldRiverRunner,

Please review the posting guidelines for this forum (http://www.arkgeocaching.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=3).

I don't really know how this escalated so fast, but I'm going to ask BOTH of you to refrain from personal attacks on each other. You can discuss the prices of ammo cans all day long, but the minute you start pointing fingers and making personal attacks and accusations, it gets my attention.

If you want to continue this discussion, it's fine with me. Feel free to utilize the "pm" or "email" links at the bottom of the post. Just don't do it here.

Wayne (Your friendly, neighborhood moderator) :)

LadyEngineer
02-01-2006, 12:09 PM
ORR and BPJ,

If you wish to have any more comments with each other about your resent post, please do so using the PM system provided on this site. Thanks you for understanding.

LE

02-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Soley as a point of fact (no finger pointing) I checked the cheaperthandirt site right after it was posted as a suggestion and the $11.97 price is what I saw too. I didn't bother to check on the shipping since there is a pawnshop nearby that sells them for $5.

As for time, convienience, and gas costs, everyone places a different value on their time and effort. If I had to go to Texas to get the $5 price, then I might just go with cheaperthandirt myself.

As a suggestion to the original poster: If you surplus stores suck, try a gunshop or a pawnshop that deals in guns. A lot of people own guns that use the 5.56 or 7.62 ammo and if they buy their ammo in bulk it will often come in the can. Most of them throw these cans away. I've gotten three so far from one of my freinds that hunts.

Now I just need to find a good location to hide them....

AR_kayaker

OldRiverRunner
02-01-2006, 06:13 PM
I apologize to all if my posts on this topic are considered "personal attacks". That was not my intent when I wrote both postings. -- ORR

Geezer_Veazey
02-01-2006, 08:37 PM
B&C Pawn Shop, 609 N. St. Joseph, Morrilton has the small ammo cans. I paid $3 each last year. Don't know what they are going for now.
Traveling between Conway and Russellville on other business it would only be about a mile out of the way.

flannelman
02-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Once again, thanks for the info. There is a gun show here this weekend so I'll try that. Didnt think bout the gun shops so I'll ask around. I go to Little Rock at least twice a week so I was kinda lookin for sources close to there. I don't mind driving a bit to get some cans cause that gives me an excuse to pick up caches that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Thanks once again. :D