PDA

View Full Version : Logging Miles

TeamMGGPS
11-02-2005, 03:14 PM
I've been noticing some odd logs lately in a few caches. The logs are comment type and ususally say "Logging Coin" or "Logging Miles" .
Check out :"Almost a piece of the Rock(GCP8NB), Molten Bluff(GCHZER),
SE Corner of Ozark National Forest(GCHM6R).
I've never seen this before and I'm curious as to what it means.
Thanks,
Team MGGPS

nonnipoppy
11-02-2005, 03:49 PM
I've been noticing some odd logs lately in a few caches. The logs are comment type and ususally say "Logging Coin" or "Logging Miles" .
Check out :"Almost a piece of the Rock(GCP8NB), Molten Bluff(GCHZER),
SE Corner of Ozark National Forest(GCHM6R).
I've never seen this before and I'm curious as to what it means.
Thanks,
Team MGGPS

Some people get a T/B or geo coin and log it into every cache that they visit. I believe most of these logs are when a cacher decides to do that and relogs every cache they have found.

To each his own but personally we tried logging a personal T/B for a while and found the pain of double logging overcame the pleasure of watching the miles.........poppy

NatureFish
11-04-2005, 02:10 AM
Ditto what Poppy said about a personal TB.

I attached a TB to my GPS and checked it into and back out of every cache I found for a while. After a while it got old having to do that.

Besides, the number was meaningless, as it measured straight-line distance from cache to cache, so the TB showed something like 7,000 miles but ignored the fact that I probably drove three times that.

The bug is still on my GPS but now folks that see me at events or cache with me log it.

cachecrazies
11-05-2005, 07:10 PM
I (Mrs. Crazy) received a travel bug last Christmas from my ladies at work and I decided to turn it into a personal travel bug. How interesting it would be to see (approximate) miles that we've put on since we started geocaching! We knew it wouldn't be accurate as I wouldn't attempt to log it back into a "home base" cache nearby. But a ballpark figure would still be interesting.

8O Oh yeah! I didn't know the ramifications of this! After almost a year, I've barely begun to backtrack and log all our first caches! Talk about time consuming!!!! Ditto poppy on this one! I'm still going to try (I think!) but it's going to take a while. And I heard from a friend that has a watch list on it that they know exactly when I get in the mood to log a few more caches because their email is loaded down! Oops!

I always leave a note that I'm logging a personal tb and am sorry for any inconvenience - so I hope the cache owners will understand what I'm doing. I'd sure think twice about doing this now that I know the down side of it! :oops: