PDA

View Full Version : New Guy from Russellville

zcooney
08-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Hello all!

Let me introduce myself, I am Zac Cooney, a 2nd year student at Arkansas Tech University. I live on campus in the lovely city of Russellville, but my permenant residence is in Northern Virginia.

I had heard of geocaching before, but never really committed to trying it out till a couple days ago. I was gathering some information for a Labor Day weekend hike (im a big hiking nut) when I rediscovered the hobby. Digging a little deeper, I found this site.

As far as gear goes, I bought a Garmin GPS 40 and a Maggellin GPS 300 on ebay for $30 each. Hopefully they arrive before Friday so I can start caching.

I am still lacking a decent map though, does anyone know of a store I can find a map at? I think I shall try the National Park Admin building here in Russellville tomorrow.

Can't wait to hit the trails this weekend, maybe i'll see a few of y'all.

arkansas_stickerdude
08-30-2005, 08:56 PM
What kind of maps are you looking for?

zcooney
08-30-2005, 09:51 PM
What kind of maps are you looking for?

A topo map with trails, landmarks, etc. Maybe even some less-travelled roads.

LadyEngineer
08-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Welcome Zac,

Have you looked at the Arkansas Atlas & Gazetteer by DeLorme. It has GPS grided topo maps of the entire state with back roads and outdoor recreation. You can get one at most Wal-Marts. It is not fold up put in your pocket but it is very handy. You can check out their website at: http://www.delorme.com

LE :D

thenaturenurd
08-31-2005, 03:24 PM
Delorme Arkansas Atlas is definitely the way to go.

Of course there are some pretty neat software packages out their you print topo's from as well.

Craig

nonnipoppy
08-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Welcome Zack. For paper maps you might check on the USGS Quad maps. They cover a small area but are the bee's knees for topo and old roads. The National Geographic TOPO maps software are actually the quad maps on computer. Since I am in Clarksville, you can give me a call and I can show them to you. I have some of them at work.

W - 479 754 - 2000 Cell 479 979 - 4442. Ask for Max........poppy