PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual JAKES event

cachecrazies
08-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Hooray! 2nd Annual JAKES event is up and posted - and we're looking for volunteers, ideas & suggestions! The gc number is: GCQ0DQ if you want to check it out.

For those of you that aren't familiar with JAKES - this is sponsored by the Wild Turkey Federation and it stands for "Juniors Acquiring Knowledge, Ethics & Sportsmanship".

Geocachers have been invited (for the 2nd year) by the Army Corps of Engineers to participate and hold demonstrations for all age groups that attend.

We had a great time last year and hope that this year is even bigger and better. The turnout of geocachers from the ArkGeo group was terrific! Enjoyed seeing all of you! And want to see all of you again and lots of new faces!

Phantom gets the first poster award on this one - we're not sure what it is yet but we'll try to come up with something! Maybe just a gold star!

Just wanted to give you a heads-up in case you hadn't seen it on gc.com

Bob and Linda

Woodwalker9
08-05-2005, 12:33 AM
For anyone who missed this event last year, let me say you missed a great time. I believe the Geocaching booth was one of the most visited of the whole event. Bob and Linda (cachecrazies) did a great job bringing it all together in a very short amount of time and I know that this years event will be bigger and better than ever. I can hardly wait. Hope to see you there.

Phantom_491
08-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Hooray! 2nd Annual JAKES event is up and posted - The gc number is: GCQ0DQ if you want to check it out.

Phantom gets the first poster award on this one - we're not sure what it is yet but we'll try to come up with something! Maybe just a gold star!

I had a blast at this event last year, and as soon as I saw this year's event pop up, I knew I had to post my intentions.

Bob, I'll bring some of the differnt cache container ideas I have, or are working on, and will probably place a couple Temp caches for the event.

Nature Fish, Think it would be possible for us to get a L.O.T.E.C. (Log Only Temporary Event Cache) page for logging the temporary event caches? SLAGA (ST Louis Area Geocachers, for those that don't know) has one and it works great for their events, (of course they usually have 30+ Temp Event caches).

Just a couple ideas.

nonnipoppy
08-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Nature Fish, Think it would be possible for us to get a L.O.T.E.C. (Log Only Temporary Event Cache) page for logging the temporary event caches? SLAGA (ST Louis Area Geocachers, for those that don't know) has one and it works great for their events, (of course they usually have 30+ Temp Event caches).

Just a couple ideas.

We have a cache hidden that accomplished that purpose at our event last Jan. It is quite zippily named "The Logging Cache" GCMGTT. I would be happy for it to be moved to the Jakes Event for that purpose if we could get GC cooperation and I have no reason to believe we would get anything else. Our attendence awaits scheduling issues.....poppy

arkansas_stickerdude
08-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Last years event was awsome and I'm glad I could be part of it. I'm hopeing to make it to the event this year also.

cachecrazies
08-05-2005, 08:11 PM
All the ideas sound great!

The logging page would be terrific - hopefullly there will be several temporary caches to find! Several short caches for the kids to go on (and a few longer ones) would spice things up! There was only the one cache in the park last year - and it was a hard one!

Looking forward to your new hiding techniques, Phantom! And all of others that come up from everyone!

The Corps has already commented that the geocaching booth drew as much (or more) attention than others that were out there last year - just think what we can do this year! How many more muggles we can convert!

If anyone has any ideas about a demonstration, please feel free to suggest it.

NatureFish
08-07-2005, 12:11 PM
This looks like a good chance to meet some folks, so I will come and camp for the weekend. Hopefully someone will want to do a bit of geocaching after the event - I love night-caching, especially in the summer!

Any other campers with info on nearby camping are encouraged to share information with me.

As far as the questions asked me above in this thread, they were asked and answered in the affirmative by email.

You are right in saying that temporary event caches can't be logged on geocaching.com. However, the owner of the event has control over how the event can be logged - many event hosts have temporary caches and allow attendees to log the event for attending and then log it again for each temp cache found. :lol:

See y'all there.
NF

arkansas_stickerdude
08-08-2005, 11:54 AM
WOOOOHOOOOO we finally get to see who NF is.

BACKPACKNJACK
09-07-2005, 10:20 AM
See Ya!
(if you need anything E me)

nonnipoppy
09-07-2005, 07:38 PM
poppy and Golf will be in the house. We are looking forward to meeting new cachers and meeting new ones.....poppy

arkansas_stickerdude
09-08-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to make it Arkansas has a Home game and I have season Tickets. Hogs or caching decisions decisions!!!!!!!!!

Phantom_491
09-09-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure if I'm going to make it Arkansas has a Home game and I have season Tickets. Hogs or caching decisions decisions!!!!!!!!!

My decision was easier. Caching, or seeing my daughter this weekend. She won without a vote even being called.

Everyone have fun. I'll be thinking about you!

BACKPACKNJACK
09-11-2005, 03:14 PM
I could see where this comment about your 'Jakes" event was going to be a long post until I remembered this old, long unused saying that just about says it all and with a lot less words. “You did us proud.”
Thanks. BPNJ
PS. Next time I will bring you a bigger hammer (inside joke you had to be there) if you will bring me cooler weather ;)

Woodwalker9
09-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Bob and Linda, this years event was just fantastic. Once again, you guys had everything so well planned and organized that all the rest of us had to do was cache and talk caching. I know that you have put in a lot of hours to make that happen and you certainly should be commended for all your hard work. A great, great job. I agree with BPJ, you did us proud.

cachecrazies
09-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Thank you all for the kind comments! We sure hope that eveyone had a good time and enjoyed it. The work is all worthwhile when it turns out as well as this! We couldn't have done it without everyone of you - ya'll helped more than you'll ever know and we appreciate it so much!

We got extra surprises from many of you - thanks for all the snacks and goodies and give aways and brochures that everyone brought with them. BPNJ added to our memories by giving a "MOUSE" $2.00 bill - goes in our collection! And Jerry, Bonnie and Abby were outstanding and surprised us with our very own Kripy Kreme ammo box - now all we need is a Krispy Kremes in town to put it out by!

And each and everyone of you cachers are special to us! What a wonderful feeling you've given us!

arkansas_stickerdude
09-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Sorry I did not make it. I should have gone ARKANSAS GOT ROBBED!!!!!

cachecrazies
09-21-2005, 05:47 PM
For those of you that attended the JAKES event - You're not done working yet!

8O We've been contacted by Today's Cacher magazine to submit an article and pictures about the JAKES event! So we'll try and put something together but we STILL need your help!

Please send us anything that you'd like quoted or like to say about the event or it's reasons for happening. Teaching kids, providing families with entertainment, etc. - whatever was important to you.

Also - we have some pictures - does anyone object if we submit their picture to the magazine? We'll post the pictures first on the JAKES cache page.

cachecrazies
09-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Sorry - we've been pretty slow this week! But some pictures are now up and posted on the cache page.

NatureFish
10-22-2005, 08:39 PM
I hate that I missed this, but I just couldn't make it!

I spent all of last month in Biloxi MS doing disaster-relief after Katrina, where we had no electricity, phones or, of course, internet.

Since I got home I have continued to work with victims and have now been tasked by the Director of Homeland Security to work with the Alabama Governors Office to create a new role in the disaster-relief plan - that of Relief Information Liaison, a single point of information that has all the info on benefits and services available from each provider and how to get them. This turned out to be the biggest failing in this relief effort - no coordination or cooperation in information dissemination. I hope to have a hand in fixing that.

Now I am painting my house, plus trying to catch up on a month's honey-do's, so, forgive me please, but I just couldn't get away! I look forward to meeting you and will try to make the next event.

Ed