PDA

View Full Version : So how does a triangulation station work again?

canoegoddess
07-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I forgot my lesson. I really wanted to practice my benchmark hunting at North Twin near Lake Wedington. I wanted to try it by benchmarks instead of using the coords in the stages and failed. Oh well at least I got to claim the virtual hiking coin.
Oh and not so long until I Terra up Tampa.

thenaturenurd
07-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Sorry for the late response CG...

Triangulation Station (http://gislounge.com/glossary/bldeftrista.shtml)

Based on geometry... triangulation stations are more accurate reference points than say just one benchmark by itself.

Wikipedia article on Triangulation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation)

Hope this helps.

Craig

SJClimber
07-14-2005, 05:07 PM
This is not perfectly pertinent to your thread, but.
Another method of defining a site/locale, occasionally used in some cache finds, is trilateration, also defined in Wikepedia. Wikipedia is a great site; an interesting experiment with good (and sometimes incorrect) information.
In a recent discussion with GK38, he may incorporate one or the other in a new hide.
Take your map, compass and calculating brain. Who said geometry wasn't fun.
Onward, SJClimber

thenaturenurd
07-15-2005, 06:34 AM
Yeah wikipedia is usually hit or miss. In this case they were right on.

Craig

SJClimber
07-15-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm with you Craig. I had lost a link from Groundspeak Forums about these topics. Your post to Wikipedia was great and presented the math correctly. Thanx, Reid

thenaturenurd
07-15-2005, 07:58 PM
In a time when any idiot with an internet connection and simple web skills cant post his/her thoughts...I think of Wikipedia as a bright spot on the Information Superhighway. Nothing is perfect but generally most articles I have read on there were mostly true.

Thats all I have to say about that...

Craig :D

canoegoddess
08-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up craig. Now I need to save up some gas money for the coveted mouse ears benchmark at Epcot.
c_g

GEO
09-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Send us a picture of that elusive mark.