PDA

View Full Version : Liar, liar pants on fire.

twooldcrows
07-02-2005, 09:32 AM
We are very disappointed to belong to ArkGeocaching.org. We have noticed there is a cliché and some members get more preferential treatment than others. Only a few are acknowledged and encouragement is given to selective few. Some members when they get 100, 200, 300 and 500 caches ( congratulations to this cachers) they get acknowledged and some don’t. Arparkguy was trying to do some good and went to a lot of trouble putting up A CITO and did not get much support, but he sure got picked on and criticized by members. It would have been nicer instead to offer support for the CITO program. It take a lot of work to organize one. Keep up the good work even if you don’t get a lot of support. Cacher that are picking on others have not done any good for the club or Geocaching, the only thing they accomplish is showing off their loud mouth. Some are raking in caches for numbers and competition to look good, we wonder how many of these caches have they done unassisted and how many caches were they got help (when you are guided by another cacher or called 5 people to tell you outright were it is)???? We have found out by accident that some caches are logged on the cache page but when we sign the log we did not find their name in the log book. Some cachers get hints and tips and other don’t’ get any response. Some cache box owner are not checking the logs or doing any maintenance to make sure they got the right loggers or say anything about it if they don‘t sign the log book. This sound very fishy . We where enjoying a good old fashion geocaching and still do, but after joining the club it turns out to be lot of friction and competition and not as enjoyable as before. We could go on and on, but it is very disappointed how some members are treated. Maybe we do understand, we don’t belong to the cliché. Sorry if we insulted some members, but this is how it is. We are going back to old fashion caching and not paying attention to other cachers .We are supporting geocaching programs that will do some good for the organization not one that criticize members that are trying to do good and show such bias to others. Every time we visit this sight we are upset and it is not worth it.

BACKPACKNJACK
07-02-2005, 03:11 PM
I feel Most will not respond to your thread, disassociating themselves from any hint of displeasure and most will just lurk and not even sign-in until it has played out, but I (voice of one) like to hear what other people think about things. You are going to get jumped on and slashed by the more aggressive but you knew that when you posted.
If you and I don’t agree, are diametrically apposed to something but we agree to meet in the middle, we most likely have chosen the best path. If only the most aggressive persons ideals are considered or even heard then it could be the best path but only about a 33% chance of that (I could explain this number but typing with a messed up finger). Forums work because even the most shy can be heard. I didn’t agree with the posting of DK/aka/BKnight about Arkparkguy but I did agree about this being an open forum (mostly, that is) and didn’t agree with the locking of APGuy's thread. I don’t know who did the locking but if this was my site I would have let the other members post their feelings about APGuy. I think he also may have enjoyed seeing those feelings in print.

I have been jumped on here more then once and no one was banished or censured because of it and I’m actually glad. I would rather see it in public then to feel it in the back. I have always said/agreed/preached inclusion not exclusion. If there are others who think apposing post should be locked/banned because it makes us look negative then you haven’t been to the GC forum or Ebay or almost any other forums be they moderated or not. I am just one voice but I hope you stick around long enough to see how others feel.

Those reading may remember I too was going to leave and actually did but came back and decided to not only continue to contribute my 2 cents worth (to agree or disagree) but to actually contribute $$ to the support of the site. I hope you agree with my right to disagree with you and say this site gets better all the time (go read the GC forum). One person does not make a good site and one person does not make a bad site although I do agree some people should be banned/censured after a certain amount of flamming and I believe the whole committee should have to agree for this to be done and a warning should come first. (disagreement vs flamming)
Now to voice my opinions about your other opinions.
I agree that some people are treated better then others. Even families are that way but I hope you never find fault with the way I treat you.
I agree that some people like big numbers. I don’t care and have already tried to explain what draws me to a cache, in other post.
I agree that some people get help finding caches. If you ask me for help finding my caches you will get the same answer as everyone else (except for my sister and her husband, who only got encouragement and a top-down ride).
I didn’t know some people log but didn’t actually find the cache. That would be the responsibility of the cache owner and I check my caches all the time to see if the cords work, if they were covered up by the last person to find them, if they need loot, if the pencil is sharp, to read the logs, etc.

Gaddiel
07-02-2005, 07:32 PM
twooldcrows, I really appreciate your being a part of ArkGeo, and I hate to see it when anyone is upset. Let me just say this much: Please don't let the actions of the few skew your perception of the group as a whole.

No matter where you go, there will be a very small minority that will cause some friction, and it's no different around here. I've found that most things can be worked through, and those things that can't be worked through, can usually be disussed in an adult fashion. If it still can't be worked out, I usually just agree to disagree.

To be honest, I'm surprised by the helpfulness and enthusiasm of our members. I've seen much worse in other circles. If you don't believe it, just spend some time on the Groundspeak forums (man, it gets rough in there sometimes...)

Finally, I hope that your disappointment was in no way caused by anything I've said. If it was, please PM me and let's talk.

Wayne

rock_hound
07-03-2005, 08:18 PM
We have noticed there is a cliché and some members get more preferential treatment than others.

Have not seen this happen. Maybe, I have not been close enough attention.

Arparkguy was trying to do some good and went to a lot of trouble putting up A CITO and did not get much support, but he sure got picked on and criticized by members.

Arparkguy is not going to get as many people at CITO events because of the location. It's quite a drive to Withrow Springs.

Cacher that are picking on others have not done any good for the club or Geocaching, the only thing they accomplish is showing off their loud mouth.

Agreed!!!! If you don't have anything good to say....Don't say anything.

We have found out by accident that some caches are logged on the cache page but when we sign the log we did not find their name in the log book.

What would be the point of logging caches you don't find. There is no award for having found the most caches. This could happen if the log sheet was replaced. It frustrates me more to see people logging two finds on the same cache or people logging finds on caches that they own.

Every time we visit this sight we are upset and it is not worth it.

It is only text and graphics. Don't take it so seriously.

LadyEngineer
07-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Please take everything I say as very sincere and from a person that has been totally taken off guard by this post.

We are very disappointed to belong to ArkGeocaching.org.

I'm very sorry to learn this.

We have noticed there is a cliché and some members get more preferential treatment than others. Only a few are acknowledged and encouragement is given to selective few. Some members when they get 100, 200, 300 and 500 caches ( congratulations to this cachers) they get acknowledged and some don’t.

I guess I'm just blind because I don't see a cliché. Not being funny here, if I'm a member of it in your mind I don't know it.

Arparkguy was trying to do some good and went to a lot of trouble putting up A CITO and did not get much support, but he sure got picked on and criticized by members. It would have been nicer instead to offer support for the CITO program. It take a lot of work to organize one. Keep up the good work even if you don’t get a lot of support. Cacher that are picking on others have not done any good for the club or Geocaching, the only thing they accomplish is showing off their loud mouth.

Craig got really bad press from one member on this site but a lot of great words from many others. When he posted that he was leaving more posted wishing him well or wishing he would stay or come back quickly then there were critics of him. I was extremely surprise that the thread about him coming back was locked. I don't know who did it but I think it was unnecessary because people where speaking out against the flamer and for Craig. It's very hard to put an event of any kind together and he did work hard on it. For us, his CITO on National CITO day was too far for us and the second one he did wasn't convenient day. That could have been the same for others.

Some are raking in caches for numbers and competition to look good, we wonder how many of these caches have they done unassisted and how many caches were they got help (when you are guided by another cacher or called 5 people to tell you outright were it is)???? We have found out by accident that some caches are logged on the cache page but when we sign the log we did not find their name in the log book. Some cachers get hints and tips and other don’t’ get any response. Some cache box owner are not checking the logs or doing any maintenance to make sure they got the right loggers or say anything about it if they don‘t sign the log book. This sound very fishy . We where enjoying a good old fashion geocaching and still do, but after joining the club it turns out to be lot of friction and competition and not as enjoyable as before.

I'm not sure how being a member of Arkansas Geocaching Association has anything to do with caching cheaters. If there are people out there doing this, then this (in my opinion) is something that GC needs to be aware of. It goes against their rules about caching and I've never heard of anyone I've met through ArkGC encouraging or promoting this type of behavior. I can only speak for my family here, but we only call a friend if we are completely stumped and have driven a great distance to hunt the cache. We had three DNF's this weekend and I really wished we had a number for someone that had found it before us because one of them was after a 20 minute hike in. If you haven't ever experienced a DNF after a 20 minute hike in 90 degree weather and searching for 30 to 45 minutes with a 7 and 5 year old and you still have to make the return hike, then you'll can't understand why sometimes you must have a little help. I'm just speaking for us here. We only log when we have actually touched and signed the cache, period. We didn't touch and sign, we didn't find it.

We could go on and on, but it is very disappointed how some members are treated. Maybe we do understand, we don’t belong to the cliché. Sorry if we insulted some members, but this is how it is. We are going back to old fashion caching and not paying attention to other cachers .We are supporting geocaching programs that will do some good for the organization not one that criticize members that are trying to do good and show such bias to others. Every time we visit this sight we are upset and it is not worth it.

I'm completely disappointed that you feel this way. I've met you guys, I believe twice, and thought you both were very nice. There are a great many people that cache in Arkansas that would go out of there way to help cacher, beginner or expert, and I feel very bad that you are lumping all members of this site into a group of bad apples.

To follow suit of Gaddiel, if anything I have done has made you feel this way please pm me or call me. I'm always open to talking to anyone. I don't like for ANYONE to be upset.

Jo
mjeebowie@centurytel.net

Black Knight
07-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Here....Here.....

I would have to agree with some if not all of what twooldcrows has said.
As a matter of fact I have made note of a couple of the issues

I have seen first hand of geocachers logging finds on the website, but when I find the cache there are all kinds of people who logged the cache both online and off during the time that these people logged it, so that leads me to believe they are/were trying to jack their find count. There was no new log that had been replaced or anything like that.

Unless you have driven at least a couple of hours to find a cache, and are having no luck I see no reason to call 15 people until one of them tells you where the cache is, what fun is that?? Now if someone is passing through town and is looking for a cache and happens to have a phone number, that is different, but one local cacher asking for help when it is in your own backyard, come on. Just look a little harder next time.

As for special treatment to some cachers, I think that is a given. They know who they are, I don't worry about that I just do my thing and go on. Just because I am a few THOUSAND behind, I don't consider it a competition, so in that case I am not behind anyone. I cache when I want to, and where I want to. I used to think numbers were important, the more I cache however the more I realize numbers don't mean anything.

I would also agree, some cachers on this site will just let this thread pass, or who knows it may get locked down like the ARParkguy thread that I was commenting on.

As for the CITO that ArkParkguy had planned, as Rock_hound said it is a LONG way to Withrow Springs.

As for you BackPackNJack, I am sure if it came right down to it there are things we would both agree on, but there are also things we would disagree on. So as you said on some issues we can agree to disagree.

Dark Knight
or Black Knight whichever you prefer

thenaturenurd
07-05-2005, 06:59 PM
I agree with alot of twooldcrows comments...not all but most of them.

I know alot of this is not intentional but some I believe is.

Unfortunately alot of it is human nature.

Thats all I have to say about that. :D

Craig

Geezer_Veazey
07-05-2005, 09:14 PM
... I don't worry about that I just do my thing and go on.

So what's your problem???

Geezer_Veazey
07-05-2005, 09:49 PM
We are very disappointed to belong to ArkGeocaching.org. We have noticed there is a cliché and some members get more preferential treatment than others.........Some members when they get 100, 200, 300 and 500 caches ( congratulations to this cachers) they get acknowledged and some don’t..............he sure got picked on and criticized by members...........Some are raking in caches for numbers and competition to look good...............We have found out by accident that some caches are logged on the cache page but when we sign the log we did not find their name in the log book............... Some cachers get hints and tips and other don’t’ get any response................ Some cache box owner are not checking the logs or doing any maintenance to make sure they got the right loggers or say anything about it if they don‘t sign the log book.

Shame on you, members of Arkansas Geocaching Association. Shame, shame, shame. Why can't you do right, like all the other geocachers?

We are going back to old fashion caching and not paying attention to other cachers .We are supporting geocaching programs that will do some good for the organization not one that criticize members that are trying to do good and show such bias to others. Every time we visit this sight we are upset and it is not worth it.
Looks like you've found a solution. No point in doing something you know is going to upset you.

Black Knight
07-06-2005, 07:08 AM
[quote="Black Knight":27rbjpo0]... I don't worry about that I just do my thing and go on.

So what's your problem???[/quote:27rbjpo0]
Do You want the whole list or just the top 10..........
Let's see some people tell me I was dropped one too many times as a kid, does that qualify as a problem.

You need to chill dude, twooldcrows might have been talking about you, ya never know (not saying they were, or trying to put words into their mouths)

Besides, As I said most if not all of what twooldcrows said makes perfect sense, and I agree with most if not all of their comments, 100%

DK

thenaturenurd
07-06-2005, 07:19 AM
Thats just what we need black knight...more finger pointing.

I bet you were the kid that stuck a stick in the fireant mound to watch em come out boiling mad.

Gaddiel
07-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Some members when they get 100, 200, 300 and 500 caches (congratulations to this cachers) they get acknowledged and some don’t.

To get this thread back on track, I must say that I did not perceive the purpose of these congratulatory posts to be exclusionary by any means. I simply see them as a friendly gesture among fellow members.

Further, it would be a very time-consuming job to track each member's number of finds and then post congratulatory messages every time a milestone is reached. (If someone would like to take on this daunting task, go for it!)

SpankytheWizard
07-06-2005, 10:22 PM
I saw this post this past weekend but could not post anything at the time since I had to hit the road and get back to Arkansas. Since then it has been interesting to see the comments and the direction this thread has taken. I am fairly new to this sport (hobby?) and have only been caching for a few months.

I would like to apologize for:

Posting a new topic announcing my 100th find. At the time I thought I was doing just what everybody else did on their local GC site. Now I see that I was just gloating and wanting undeserved comments from others.

Finding one of GK38's caches twice. Sorry man, I screwed up and went back to one of your caches by mistake 2 months later. I signed the log book a second time and actually remembered to post the find on the GC site the second time around.

Not going to either CITO event. I was new to geocaching. I was unsure about meeting others and I couldn't convince my wife to go to Withrow Springs. When I did finally decide to try for the other one the date came and went. I forgot about it. Jack can hold me down while Topkitty gives me a noogie.

Doing the Mission Impossible cache. I shamefully admit I did it for no other reason then to try and get the opportunity to meet fellow ArkGeo cachers. Is this the secret clique? Did I somehow stumble into the inner circle? All I need now is the secret handshake and password!

Asking for help. Yes, I have done it and I am so sorry that I did it. Maybe I will start using a new acronym - HHF (Had Help Finding) then I can be open about it and not have to come under any scrutiny. Sometimes the owner gives a direct hint or help and, sometimes, they just gently nudge you in the right direction. Either way it is shameful and disgraceful.

Finding a cache, not signing the log and then taking credit for it. Actually, I don't apologize for this. Have you ever gone through every bramble, briar, thicket and ant pile in 90° heat just to find the cache and realize that you don't have anything to sign the log with? Not take credit? Kiss my Avatar.
-----------------------------------
So far, I have only met a handful of local cachers in realtime. Everyone of them have been friendly, helpful and courteous. There are many I have not met but have taken note of from their postings and proximity to my "local" caching area. Many of them I want to meet. Especially grandkid38 for the wonderful Burns Park caches, LE and her brood, topkitty and geoj, backpacknjack (I want a ride in his car), Rhone, and even twooldcrows! Many more! What a kindred group of people. Thanks for being there.

Is there a clique? If so, and you are in it, then you have probably been here from the start. You deserve your status. Maybe one day I can fit in. Until then I am going to run up my numbers for my benefit!

Oh, and I will probably be away from geocaching for awhile. I will let you know when I can come back. :wink:

Just like Otus the Head Cat in the Arkansas Dem Gazette - not everything you read is real. Most of it is tongue in cheek. Take it with a huge grain of salt.

Black Knight
07-09-2005, 05:47 PM
I saw this post this past weekend but could not post anything at the time since I had to hit the road and get back to Arkansas. Since then it has been interesting to see the comments and the direction this thread has taken. I am fairly new to this sport (hobby?) and have only been caching for a few months.

I would like to apologize for:

Posting a new topic announcing my 100th find. At the time I thought I was doing just what everybody else did on their local GC site. Now I see that I was just gloating and wanting undeserved comments from others.

Finding one of GK38's caches twice. Sorry man, I screwed up and went back to one of your caches by mistake 2 months later. I signed the log book a second time and actually remembered to post the find on the GC site the second time around.

Not going to either CITO event. I was new to geocaching. I was unsure about meeting others and I couldn't convince my wife to go to Withrow Springs. When I did finally decide to try for the other one the date came and went. I forgot about it. Jack can hold me down while Topkitty gives me a noogie.

Doing the Mission Impossible cache. I shamefully admit I did it for no other reason then to try and get the opportunity to meet fellow ArkGeo cachers. Is this the secret clique? Did I somehow stumble into the inner circle? All I need now is the secret handshake and password!

Asking for help. Yes, I have done it and I am so sorry that I did it. Maybe I will start using a new acronym - HHF (Had Help Finding) then I can be open about it and not have to come under any scrutiny. Sometimes the owner gives a direct hint or help and, sometimes, they just gently nudge you in the right direction. Either way it is shameful and disgraceful.

Finding a cache, not signing the log and then taking credit for it. Actually, I don't apologize for this. Have you ever gone through every bramble, briar, thicket and ant pile in 90° heat just to find the cache and realize that you don't have anything to sign the log with? Not take credit? Kiss my Avatar.
-----------------------------------
So far, I have only met a handful of local cachers in realtime. Everyone of them have been friendly, helpful and courteous. There are many I have not met but have taken note of from their postings and proximity to my "local" caching area. Many of them I want to meet. Especially grandkid38 for the wonderful Burns Park caches, LE and her brood, topkitty and geoj, backpacknjack (I want a ride in his car), Rhone, and even twooldcrows! Many more! What a kindred group of people. Thanks for being there.

Is there a clique? If so, and you are in it, then you have probably been here from the start. You deserve your status. Maybe one day I can fit in. Until then I am going to run up my numbers for my benefit!

Oh, and I will probably be away from geocaching for awhile. I will let you know when I can come back. :wink:

Just like Otus the Head Cat in the Arkansas Dem Gazette - not everything you read is real. Most of it is tongue in cheek. Take it with a huge grain of salt.
Wow, do I detect extreme SARCASM??? Kinda seems like it to me, but hey if I am wrong......
Let me add my .02 to your comments if I may.....Oh wait I may ;)
1. I personally don't see any problem with anyone posting they found a milestone 100, 200, 300 etc....I also don't see any problem with other cachers congratulating someone on the milestone.

2. I also don't see anything wrong with visiting a cache and noting that in the logbook at the cache site more than once, I have been to several caches more than once, but I only log a find ONCE, unless that is the owner has changed the location. If the location is changed I usually log it as a find again.

3. As I said earlier in this thread, if you live in the area of the cache I find it pointless to ask for help, log a DNF and go look for it again next weekend. Anyone ever asked the owner for a hint just so you could be a FTF? If so that is more shameful and disgraceful than just asking for help.

4. Finally the best for last, no I have NEVER went caching when I didn't have some type of writing utensil to sign a log book, I care a couple of pens with me, just in case the cache is missing a writing instrument. I also carry a pen with me, because I hate using those nubs of pencils to sign a Micro. I firmly believe if you don't sign the log at the cache site, the owner of the cache has every right to delete your online log (hence decreasing your numbers.) So my advice on that one would be take the Boy Scout motto to heart, Be prepared.

5. Oh wait, I do have a question......What benefit is there of running your numbers up?

I also wonder why only a certain few cachers have not commented on this thread.....................

DK

SpankytheWizard
07-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Sorry DK, Not sarcasm, but humor.

In my entire post I took pot shots at myself and no one else. I did not point a finger or cast any blame or innuendo on a fellow cacher. If I have discovered one universal truth in my first six months. It is that we are all a bunch of individuals that have a desire to geocache - whether a little or a lot. Individuals. With different opinions and lives.

So here is my clarification to your responses in hopes that nobody misunderstood me the first time around:

5. I am not "running my numbers up" and, I also see no benefit in doing so. There is no cash prize for whoever has the most at the end of the day. Just satisfaction. Find what you want when you want it. If someone derives their whole raison de la vie from caching - let 'em.

4. Sorry, I was prepared to sign the log. I did have a pencil. Seems I dropped it somewhere along the way. I did not have it velcroed to my body. It happens. I also have never had an owner question whether I have found their cache. If they did I could probably describe the area well enough to satisfy them. I hate it when someone goes to my caches and has a DNF. It's supposed to be fun, not frustrating.

3. Wow, I agree!

2. This was one of those things that was totally, 100% tongue-in-cheek. I was trying to portray MY complete boneheadedness at going to the same cache - by accident - a second time. Not logging it twice but actually finding it twice because I FORGOT that I had done so. Yuk Yuk.

1. Again, another attempt at humor and something that took a potshot at me. Since you had posted that you agreed 100% with most, if not all, that twooldcrows had to say I attempted to deflect criticism towards myself since I was a recent poster of my 100th find and many people had taken the time to - ohmigod! - congratulate me. Did that "arrow of shame" hit close to home? Yes, it did. But, I have tried to speak in specifics and not generalities. I haven't done any broad stroke condemnation on this forum nor tried to tar a whole group with the same brush. Now, that's a cliché.

arkansas_stickerdude
07-10-2005, 10:34 PM
This topic is just getting stupid. Needless to say I have not read much of the Smart A$$ stuff here.

Black Knight
07-15-2005, 05:12 PM
This topic is just getting stupid. Needless to say I have not read much of the Smart A$$ stuff here.
If I had to guess I would bet you had read every word. Otherwise why add a worthless comment to the thread??????????

Maybe your time would be more well spent hiding another worthless micro.

DK

LadyEngineer
07-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Note: The steering committee is working on guidelines for what will be acceptable and not acceptable post. However, at the moment they have not been posted. We are also working on getting moderator for the forum. Gaddiel and myself will be moderators representing the committee. At the moment Gaddiel has moderator capabilities and I will in the future will have moderator capabilities. (Aside: we will look at one or two non committee members to be moderators also.)

Now with that said: DK and Dude please remember to keep your comments friendly and constructive. Please keep any personal attacks to yourselves. Please consider this a warning.

BACKPACKNJACK
07-15-2005, 08:43 PM
One person does not make a good site and one person does not make a bad site although I do agree some people should be banned/censured after a certain amount of flamming and I believe the whole committee should have to agree for this to be done and a warning should come first. (disagreement vs flamming)
Lady-E
See, I agreed with you even before you said it.
DK
Here is the way I see it. If you don't tone it down you are going to be banned, if you are banned you will create yet another alter-ego and if you don't change your words and attitude you will get busted-out again just as before so nothing will be gained. If you have unsolvable issues with caching you can just stop caching. If you have unsolvable issues with some cachers then just don't read them or don't comment on them. If you have constructive tools are ideals to make caching or this group or this site better then lets here it. Flamming isn't changing anything so let's see the tools and hear the ideals you think will make things better. I'm working on something myself (hope to share it soon) and so are other members.

twooldcrows
07-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Coming back for one more time for a whipping. I know a lot of you think all we do is whine but here is our final bitch session. We have a good idea what happens when a cacher submits a thread in this forum. We thought the forum was where you bring out a few things for the group to discuss try to have a better organization. It seems that instead a few cachers have been hurt and have hard feeling .

We would like to Congratulate grandkid 38 for his 80 hides. It takes lots of time, effort, organizing and lots of maintenance. We have enjoyed your caches when we visit Little Rock, We wonder about your posting, “To help our buddies get higher numbers, I just noticed we hit 80 with the placement of our last cache“. does this mean that we can not do any more of your caches? We would like to congratulate Rhone and woodwalker9 for their 700 find. We know what it takes. We worked on our 500 and were hoping to get it with in a year, we got close and that was our goal. We have had many types of experiences, challenging, puzzling, long and short hikes, many beautiful, historical places, we even have been escorted by police officers because few caches were hidden on private property without permission . I have even been threatened by one man who said he would kill me with a shot gun for trespassing. One was a real close call it’s a miracle it didn’t turn out bad , it made jerry believe that there is a guardian Angel. I called ASdude about the trouble as his was the only cell phone # I had . Sometimes it is a good idea to have cell phone #‘s of other cachers for emergency. If we had posted our cell # when nonnipoppy had a experience @ Blue Mountain Overlook, GCJEYR, we are about 8.8 miles as strait as a crow fly we could have gone to his rescue.

Like any group we do have one or two smart alecks . (by the way you can kiss our Avatar we will be glad to bend over for you.) We would join you any time to rake up one way or another our numbers so we can look good too. Join you at noon or @ midnight @ any cache box with our GPS , flashlights and all our gadgets connected to rake up our numbers and a lots FTF. Better yet, How about making it more challenging one, FTF with out any help from any human connection, e-mail, cell phone just a GPS, then we really can brag about it. LOL.

One mistake we made was to go to this siteL http://grand_high_pobah.home.comcast.net/Arkansas1.html if it doesn’t work try to copy and paste this:http://grand_high_pobah.home.comcast.net/Arkansas1.html. ) This is where you can see everyone’s numbers and we have to admit we got sucked into the competition this site fosters. I guess that is why so many cachers burn out early they get into the competition thing. We have cached from Little Rock, AR. To Oklahoma City, OK. and from Forth Smith, AR. To Joplin, MO. And we enjoyed them all. We cached in Maryland and surrounding States. We have meet cachers with 3000 to 4000 caches under their belt and they are no different than those who have 1.

Withrow Springs might be far for some of us, but few cachers have gone caching to other events even farther then Withrow Spring.

Some cachers from AR. criticize and cut down the caches in Miami, OK. saying there are to easy or lame caches or that it is easy to rake up the numbers in Miami. It is puzzling that the same cachers go there are the ones that criticize them. Our opinion is, that Miami, OK. caches owners are proud of their Town and want us to enjoy our efforts. In fact they are as good or better then AR.

We did get few private e-mail from cachers to our thread. We do not want to create any problem, but we noticed a lot of cachers have been hurt and are holding bad feeling against each other. We thought the idea of a forum was to work together and help each other out. But the negative vibes on the forum sure don’t help much. Those who have greater experience and lot more finds than others , hardly ever comment on the forum. Is this because they have no comment or are they afraid of the criticism.

Here some examples we received, after our latest post, most felt the same concerns as we did. They stated they didn‘t like the consequences of speaking up in the forum and we do understand that feeling. Email responses like: (“I would totally agree with you on numerous observations you made. That is one reason I do not go to Clarksville to cache anymore, most of the caches were put there to drive up the numbers of finds and hides most are in strange and uninteresting places .
( “Birds of the feather , flock together“. Check their numbers? )
(I enjoy geocaching, as a matter of fact it is one of my favorite things to do, but a lot of the cr*p and politics that go on, that is just stupid for something I enjoy. I don't think we needed a "steering committee" or anything like that. )
((Some people just think they have to be in the spotlight. We just wanted to let you know that we entirely agree with what you posted. - every time you try to contribute to a subject you get flamed.)
( No point in asking for more! We have run into the same problems as you since we're obviously not on the "insider group" and it's not worth the hassle to try to be part of this anymore. There are several truly nice people in the group - they just happen to be outnumbered by the other kind! Or the others are just more vocal!”) All the e-mail are about the same concern.

We did not mean to said that Arkansasgeocacher .org is bad, We do have wonderful people in the organization . I guess our ideas don’t come across in text as they would face to face. We have meet a lot of cacher in the organization and at the Meeting, or while caching and the majority are great people doing something they enjoy. I guess there is always a bad apple(s) in any org. and the many shouldn’t be blamed for the few. For us it is better to stay away from the Forum. It just upsets us to see people getting picked on for no good reason. Like your mom or dad always said treat others are you would like to be treated.

When it come to politics, church or any other organizations then I would like to see them kept by the rules. I do understand that in Geocaching people make their own rules by what they have learned. Hey Geocaching is Geocaching but when it is a club, it is different. Everyone should be treated to same. I guess I do understand but it still surprises me how the cachers that post are treated so differently. Thank you for the comments. Geocaching is a game for our enjoyment and pleasure and we do enjoy it. We just shouldn’t have joined the forum. We took it too serious. Rules are rules. Again it is a game for our enjoyment. We are happy to see how fast the sport is growing and that are so many new members. All good thing must come to an end. Good Bye.
We are not pointing fingers, we are pointing out some friction between cachers. It’s been fun but we have decided to remove ourselves from this forum. Personal. If we have offended anyone we are truly sorry. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Black Knight
07-18-2005, 05:13 PM
.[/quote]
Lady-E
See, I agreed with you even before you said it.
DK
Here is the way I see it. If you don't tone it down you are going to be banned, if you are banned you will create yet another alter-ego and if you don't change your words and attitude you will get busted-out again just as before so nothing will be gained. If you have unsolvable issues with caching you can just stop caching. If you have unsolvable issues with some cachers then just don't read them or don't comment on them. If you have constructive tools are ideals to make caching or this group or this site better then lets here it. Flamming isn't changing anything so let's see the tools and hear the ideals you think will make things better. I'm working on something myself (hope to share it soon) and so are other members.[/quote]
You know, the last time I checked Freedom of Speech was protected by the United States Constitution. The First Amendment to be precise. Bottom line, I haven't attacked anyone who hasn't said something to me or about me first. The observations I have made have been in reply to comments that other people have left. Yes I will admit I have problems with certain cachers, or at least my non-alter-ego has had in the past.

I do believe there are cachers that run their totals up, especially hides that are just LAME but that is neither here nor there at this point in time. I will honestly admit I prefer caching out of state as in state, though I have seen a LOT of this great state we live in and have enjoyed every minute of it. There is nothing like a sunset from the top of Petit Jean, at least in this state.
It was said this is a game, yes it is, why do people take it so serious? Why is it that normal cachers that have to work for a living don't have 2000 finds? I will admit I cache when I can, I work 40 hours a week M-F. I MIGHT maybe go caching after work if I am not too tired, and after dealing with people all day it is refreshing to get out for a bit, but it is also refreshing to go home and spend some QT with my wife. If I am lucky I can get out on Saturday for a little bit of caching, steering way wide of most micro caches!!!
If you want me to name names, hey I can do that, then that would be the final nail in my coffin for sure, as I am sure calling people out would do it. I am not however going to do that. I also will not be threatened with banishment, as I said I call them as I see them, that is my first amendment right, I have neither hurt, nor attacked anyone who has not attacked me first as can be seen in the limited number of threads I have REPLIED TO!!!!! I have made no posts of my own they have all been replies as to how I feel about the comments made.......

DK

BACKPACKNJACK
07-18-2005, 06:36 PM
I doubt if there is one person on this site that cares more about what
you think then I do. I read every word of every post on this site because
I care about what everyone thinks (read my post), not just the most
popular. Do you remember who was the first to protest the locking of the
other thread even though I stated I didn't agree with you?

I didn’t agree with the posting of DK/aka/BKnight about Arkparkguy but I did agree about this being an open forum (mostly, that is) and didn’t agree with the locking of APGuy's thread. I don’t know who did the locking but if this was my site I would have let the other members
post their feelings about APGuy. I think he also may have enjoyed seeing
those feelings in print.

Yet you accuse me of not believing in the first amendment? Young man, you don't know what price I have paid nor what price I was willing to pay nor what price I'm still willing to pay for your freedoms, so If I were you I
would lay that to rest. I imagine there are many on this site who have paid
the price. How about you?
As for me, feeling the validity of your protest wane considerably in my eyes, I'm moving on to something I think will be much more fun and more positive for this group. You are welcome to play also.
PS. I will not comment anymore on this so it is all yours, you have the floor all to yourself and as far as I'm concerned...the last word.

Valorian
07-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Dont have much to add really, I'm not in Ark now but grew up in there. I'm not in the cliche'. I kinda wished I did have a "phone a friend" in Logan and Washington counties I usually only have a day or so in each county before I have to go back home. I've emailed cache owners I had trouble with but really wanted to find before I came back I had some TB's that really needed to stay over that way, nearest cache big enough to hold them was less than a block away from the hotel, and no response from the owner while I was there or since I came back home. and I sure enjoy caching more than sitting bored at the inlaws while they spoil the grandkids with stuff they dont get at home :lol:

arkansas_stickerdude
07-19-2005, 09:29 AM
LE my statement was IN GENERAL after this post I WILL NOT CHECK THIS THREAD AGAIN. I have read very little in it and it is not helping anyone.

Black Knight
07-19-2005, 09:25 PM
I doubt if there is one person on this site that cares more about what
you think then I do. I read every word of every post on this site because
I care about what everyone thinks (read my post), not just the most
popular. Do you remember who was the first to protest the locking of the
other thread even though I stated I didn't agree with you?

I didn’t agree with the posting of DK/aka/BKnight about Arkparkguy but I did agree about this being an open forum (mostly, that is) and didn’t agree with the locking of APGuy's thread. I don’t know who did the locking but if this was my site I would have let the other members
post their feelings about APGuy. I think he also may have enjoyed seeing
those feelings in print.

Yet you accuse me of not believing in the first amendment? Young man, you don't know what price I have paid nor what price I was willing to pay nor what price I'm still willing to pay for your freedoms, so If I were you I
would lay that to rest. I imagine there are many on this site who have paid
the price. How about you?
As for me, feeling the validity of your protest wane considerably in my eyes, I'm moving on to something I think will be much more fun and more positive for this group. You are welcome to play also.
PS. I will not comment anymore on this so it is all yours, you have the floor all to yourself and as far as I'm concerned...the last word.
Just for the record, I have given my service to this great country of ours, so though your service was probably several years before mine, I have been there and done that, just as I say for the record!!!

Oh and one last thing on this subject before I let it die its much over due death.........
I have seen that your comments about my post(s) have been neutral or positive for the most part. I appreciate that. As for me saying you do not believe in the first amendment, I didn't mean it that way. I was just saying that people start talking censorship, we are all protected by that.

DK

Gaddiel
07-19-2005, 10:30 PM
I was just saying that people start talking censorship, we are all protected by that.DK

Just for the record, and for everyone reading this thread, let's be clear. This may be a "public" forum, but we are all guests here. Remember that just because a forum is "open" does not mean that everyone has carte blanche to do anything they want. Just as in other situations in life, there are certain behaviors, activities, and words that simply are not proper. There are (and should be) consequences to actions.

For example, you cannot walk down Main street at noon with no clothes on (at least you can't for very long) :D You can't yell "Fire!!!" in a crowded theatre. And you also cannot just go around smacking people in the head, even if they did flip you the bird.

In short, there MUST be some things that will not be allowed here. I think we can all agree on at least that much. Can't we?

DONCowling
07-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Hello. I realize this isn't necessarily the thread in which to introduce myself, but I wanted to make a point here.

My name is David, and with my two sons Owen and Nathan we make up the team of DONCowling. We started geocaching about 2 weeks ago and enjoy it alot. Even though Nathan is only 4 he really enjoys getting out and hiking up a storm and searching for the hidden caches.

That said, I want to make a point about these forums and this thread in particular.

Is this REALLY the kind of thread you want new cachers....new potential members... seeing the first time they log on to your site?

Too often people use the internet to act in ways....unsuitable to real life, just because they feel they can with no repercussions...like it really doesn't matter how they treat people online. I for one equate their online actions with their true selves, and distance myself accordingly.

This thread is no shining star to the forums of Arkansas Geocachers Association, and sheds a very poor light on it as a whole.

Concerned,

DONCowling

nonnipoppy
07-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Hello. I realize this isn't necessarily the thread in which to introduce myself, but I wanted to make a point here.

My name is David, and with my two sons Owen and Nathan we make up the team of DONCowling. We started geocaching about 2 weeks ago and enjoy it a lot. Even though Nathan is only 4 he really enjoys getting out and hiking up a storm and searching for the hidden caches.

First of all welcome and we hope you enjoy your newfound hobby. We are truly glad that you have joined us.

Too often people use the internet to act in ways....unsuitable to real life, just because they feel they can with no repercussions...like it really doesn't matter how they treat people online. I for one equate their online actions with their true selves, and distance myself accordingly.

IMHO you are dead on with this observation.

This thread is no shining star to the forums of Arkansas Geocachers Association, and sheds a very poor light on it as a whole.

Again I think you hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately or fortunately we allow everyone to speak their mind. Sometimes they have an ax to grind and in other cases posters have been offended or hurt by what they have read and interpreted.

Forums are a bit challenging because it is almost impossible to always understand what the writer meant. When we are face to face we can interpret emotion, voice inflection, volume, and tone. Additionally body language is completely lost . That makes the written word our only means of communication. Some, like myself, just don't write as well as we could. I guess that is why writing a novel is so darn hard.

Having said all that I urge you to continue to visit, step into the conversation and voice your opinion. The voice of reason is always welcome and appreciated.

It does not take long to determine who's posts are inflammatory. I have had the pleasure to meet over 100 of the cachers in this area (including, I believe, those inflammatory posters) and face to face they are all nice people.

Valorian
07-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Welcome David, I'm not a current resident of Arkansas but I grew up in the NW corner and have family there still. Your right with your post but unfortunatly what I compare it to is the Dr Suess book the Sneetches, you got em with stars and without, Here it's the power cachers and the quality cachers, the micro and the anti micro ect. Just have with the game and have fun with your boys, cause the best part is as they grow up they'll remember the great times talking, hiking and spending time with their family :D

couldbecaching
07-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Just have with the game and have fun with your boys, cause the best part is as they grow up they'll remember the great times talking, hiking and spending time with their family :D

Amen!

Gaddiel
07-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Welcome, welcome! We are glad that you came by, and especially glad that you decided to post!

Is this REALLY the kind of thread you want new cachers....new potential members... seeing the first time they log on to your site?

Nope, it's not. I'd like to see everyone get along and discuss geocaching in Arkansas in a civil and adult manner. Unfortunately, that's not possible. On the other hand, each of us can try our best to make this happen.

Generally, we like to let people speak their mind (as long as they are nice and polite in doing so.)

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Please don't let the comments (either good or bad) of the few determine your attitude toward ArkGeo as a whole. We are a fairly large group of diverse people. I've met the overwhelming majority of our posters in person as well, and they all, without exception, were friendly, helpful, and cordial. Just remember that the comments made in this forum don't necessarily represent those of the group. Stick around and get to know us. I think you'll enjoy the group!

Thanks for weighing in on such a hot topic, and please post again!

twooldcrows
07-24-2005, 09:33 PM
A short one. If any one feel that this thread and the “Competition, Friction or good ole fashion caching” is damaging or insulting and causing trouble to the Arkansas Geocachers Association or ArkGeocaching. Org. You may remove it or deleted it. You have our blessings and start from base one by been positive about Geocaching, Caches and cache owners. We notice a new posting by Nature Fish, Getting Your Listing Approved, you will find the Geocaching list of Guidelines. Our main challenge and concerned is placing caches in private properties without Permission and SOME cachers with WJTB are keeping it, grabbing it and not placing it for other cachers to have the experience or privilege of finding one. SOME are keeping it for a whole year and not sharing it with others. TB’s meant to travel not to be kept away from others and Bragged that they received few WJTB’s and not sharing with others to be found . We better quit.

Valorian
07-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Jeep hogs are why there was less jeeps this year and if they want to continue hogging them will be less next year. no point of just logging them in and out of caches, write your story take the picture and move them on. if it's so you have more chances really you dont cause the other jeep hogs are doing just the same thing that one is . I've logged some of them, logged and set them free

twooldcrows
07-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Amen!

arkansas_stickerdude
07-25-2005, 10:40 PM
I hold heartedly agree with DOWCowling(and Welcome to ARGA, I grew up in Malvern and Graduated from Magnet Cove in 91, If there is anything WE can do just name it.), NonniePoppy, and Valorian. All I have to say is

AMEN

twooldcrows
08-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Crows last stand!

TWOOLDCROWS
We have received a few e-mails from different cachers, some agreed with our threads, some told us to stay low and some told us it would be better to change our name and continue caching . We TWOOLDCROWS are proud of our name and don’t intend to change it. Some cache owner put out caches for friends, well, if we are in the area, we will do them, we like all caches and challenges. If you don’t want us to do certain caches, then don’t put them out in Geocaching pages. Start your own Geoclub caches for their friends. We know where we stand with some members.

WJTB’s sure have been abused and not allowed the privilege of traveling this year. Lot less then last year. Lots of cachers especially the new ones are asking where are they?. Last year was not that bad, but still there are some cachers that had YJTB’s entrusted to them to be placed, but they have been kept for a whole year and not shared or placed to travel. Some cachers did not get the privilege of finding even ONE YJTB, because they were not placed in a timely manner.

We noticed that a lot of WJTB’s have been grabbed by friends or shared in the (clique). Other have been kept to be grabbed again. Many have 0 miles. We admit that we did grabbed 4-WJTB’s and we don’t feel good about it, because there is no challenge in it. We think there would be more enjoyment if you find them then place them for others cachers enjoyment . We will try to ungrab the 4-Jeeps we got from ASD and do it the right way. (We appreciated it but we don’t feel right about it.) Even though this is practiced at some meetings it just feels wrong. We also noticed that some have been kept more then ONE WJTB and 0 miles in their possession. Are they being use for their private collection in their den or displayed on their car mirror .? Or Show and Tell with their friends?. Or use as Keychain to show their friend s that they have one..two..three..five or ten ? Must fell good?. “Somebody is watching YOOOUUU.”

WJTBs are made to move, to be placed in caches and moved like any other TB’s. Unfortunately some folks choose to hoard and hang on to them. We wonder, what is the challenge and enjoyment of grabbing TB’s?. We would like to CHALLENGE to all Cachers that are grabbing and keeping them for their own reason to RELEASE THEM for all cachers in Arkansas to enjoy the hunt, challenge and a chance to participating in the contest and put some miles on them. Cachers in AR. and many new cachers have not been able to find not even ONE and the contest will be over soon.
We don’t understand, what the challenge is in putting a WJTB in a cache that is hard to reach or get to does it make them proud or build their ego by placing it so that many can‘t get to it?. Like places that required 4X4 and small four wheelers or boats to get to a island to get a WJTB?. What would happen if somebody gets snake bit, two hours hike and no communications, because of the Area?. Many cachers don’t have access to this kind of vehicles or boats. Well, many young cachers and beginners will not have the privilege getting WJTB. Especially families with small kids or Father and Son and so on.

We do remember our first Geocaching meeting when we where told that was OK to grabbed TB’s in the Meet and we did, but it did not feel right. We don’t see personally what is gained by this. There is no enjoyment, challenge or fun there is no way you can read the messages of where this TB needs to go or who sent it ,maybe it is for Numbers?. Personally, we are never grabbing TBs any more, we will try to find them and put them to travel for others cachers enjoyment let them collect miles and find their destination.. That is the challenge for us.

If the shoe fits wear it.

Getting off our soap box stepping from the pulpit it’s all yours. Perry Mason said: Case closed….“Arkansas Stickerdude said: This topic is just getting stupid. Needless to say I have not read much of the Smart A$$ stuff here.” …Beam me up Scotty, this planet is stupid , let’s go where there is a honest planet…. Over and out ‘nough said

TWOOLDCROWS

PS: AGREE, DISAGREE or AMEN? We are trying for 6-stars CacheAddict…. HE HE. Don’t takes us to seriously…fun is fun done is done.

Rockymountainflea
08-20-2005, 01:41 AM
:(
I would just like to say "Welcome to Arkansas Geocaching". I have been on this site several times, I know I am looking at Adult names and I know you have to be over the age of 16 to drive, yet I keep trying to figure out how old we all are! This is ridiculous. We should be talking about things like getting together for a Geocaching Breakfast or taking part in a CITO or putting together the largest Geocaching event in Arkansas, or getting new people involved in the healthy GAME. Instead, we have a lot of cachers that want to stir up trouble because feelings are hurt. We have people who are not current members looking at this site to see if this is something they want to do. If I were any of them reading this thread, I would be totally turned off which, in the long run, is bad for the rest of us. If we have more people involved in Geocaching, we have more people hiding caches. If we have more hides, we also have more great places to find. Let's just get along and quit acting like teenage siblings. PLEASE![/quote]

LadyEngineer
08-20-2005, 08:33 AM
RockyMountainFlea,

It is very nice to meet you. I enjoyed your post and hope you will post more. Any ideas on a meet and greet?

TwoOldCrows,

I agree that the Jeeps are not being done right. I only have control over my behavior and I hope that I can set an example that others would want to follow. Please note that if you do an advance search for white jeep (don't put an s on the end) there are 5021 records. If you will look through the pages you will find that a great deal of those have 0 miles and have never been taken from Jeep by anybody. They are still in Jeeps possession. Why that is? Not a clue, but that is one reason there are far less jeeps out to be found.

LE

Black Knight
08-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Well, I think TwoOldCrows said it pretty well, at least in the Dark Knights way of looking at it, the only thing I might possibly add, is there are a few who think they are Gods in the geocaching world, who think they are all powerful, but that being neither here nor there, As they said if the shoe fits wear it.

I have been caching for awhile now, more than most, less than others, but long enough to know there is gonna be good and bad at anything you do. Everyone knows someone who when they show up just ruins the fun for everyone. Well, that is why people have feelings like two old crows, cause see they are good people, who enjoy spending the day out looking for a cache. Down home salt of the Earth people, then you have people like. ********* and ********* and ********* who think they are the BEST, and see alot of people don't enjoy that kind of thinking and it runs into this situation (notice names were withheld due to I enjoy throwing my .02 in every now and then and don't want to get banned :wink: anyway.....

Oh, and one last thing I am sure there are more people reading the smart A$$ comments on here, they just take it and don't reply, but I would bet gas money they read them :wink:

DK

thenaturenurd
08-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Black Knight or should I say Rusty Da Dog...if names are being withheld why are you posting under a false name.

twooldcrows
08-21-2005, 07:13 AM
We’re Sorry…

We owe everyone in ARGeocaching Org an apology… We are sorry if we offended anyone it was not our intention. Our ideas didn’t come across like we thought they would. We are trying to be better people, life is too short to be contentious with anyone. Thank you all for the privilege of caching in the great state of Arkansas. We are not angry at anyone and we hope that we have not lost friends over this. We only tried to discuss what was on our mind about caching and the purpose of some of the rules. We thought that was what the forum was for to discuss geocaching and to ask questions about things that concerned us. Again our most sincere apologies to all.

Black Knight
08-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Black Knight or should I say Rusty Da Dog...if names are being withheld why are you posting under a false name.

I hate to burst your bubble but I would get my facts straight before you think you know exactly who I am.............

thenaturenurd
08-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Black Knight,

I accept your challenge.

By the way...GFY.

thenaturenurd
08-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I look forward to attending some of your events and getting to know you.

NF

Drop dead would be a good start.........

Oh man, did I say that out loud :evil:

Dark Knight,

I find it interesting that you have the same avatar as Rusty Da Dog. I also find it interesting you claim to be somewhat SW of the area.

Black Knight
08-24-2005, 06:10 AM
Oh God because I have the same because I like Batman, and someone else likes Batman we are one in the same?? Come on you can do better than that, how many people in this world like Batman.

Don't think I am from the SW part of the state eh.....Why don't you come on down to Texarkana sometime and we can sit down and talk about it. I can neither prove nor disprove that I live here, unless you count the fact that the paper mill smells good up in Ashdown this morning. Ya know speaking of papermills If the wind blows just right you can smell Dominoe so you catch it from both ends.......

But then again as I say, you won't know unless you come on down.

Gaddiel
08-24-2005, 06:56 AM
This is a reminder to EVERYONE to refrain from personal attacks. It's fine if you want to have a spat, just TAKE IT OUTSIDE.

thenaturenurd
08-24-2005, 06:58 AM
Like hey lets meet in the parking lot? That type of thing?

Your are right Gaddiel. I will not apologize for what I said, but I understand this activity makes the group look childish and unprofessional.

Craig

Gaddiel
08-24-2005, 07:07 AM
Like hey lets meet in the parking lot. Craig

Yes, I hope I was clear about "taking it outside". If I wasn't, let me explain:

Regarding personal comments (especially attacks of any kind), you are invited to use the "Private Message" feature or the "Email" button at the bottom of a user's post.

thenaturenurd
08-24-2005, 07:11 AM
Yes I get you Gaddiel. I was picking. 10-4 good buddy...

Black Knight
08-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey, I probably shouldn't prolong this BUT.......If you want to make a special trip to Txk to visit, come on down. I'll let you know where and when I work, you can come on in and say hi..........

I am done with this foolishness......

DK

thenaturenurd
08-24-2005, 09:42 PM
As long as you are buying first round of drinks Dark Knight... :D

Black Knight
08-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Come on down, gotta buy it on the Arkansas side and smuggle it back across the line....... :wink:

thenaturenurd
08-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Yes I know. I grew up in the big town of Jefferson, TX so I am quite familiar with that area.

Phantom_491
08-26-2005, 09:13 AM
DK,

I pass through your neck of the woods about once every month or so when I drive down to the Longview, Tx area to visit my folks. I've done a few of the caches (Mostly just off I-30). There are some excellent caches in the Texarkana area.

I'll try to let you know the next time I am passing through.

Dennis (Phantom 491)

PS: FYI for those who keep track of stuff like this this is my 200th post to the ArkGeocaching.org forums. (DISCLAIMER: this is not tooting my own horn, just stating a fact for anyone who might be interested)

Black Knight
10-27-2005, 11:49 AM
The numbers are up........oops I mean in......

Do people cache 24/7 out there? I mean how can you find over 1000 caches in less than a year, or for that matter 2/3s of a year. I would like to know the secrets so I can do it to :?
By the way I am not mentioning any names here, so as not to publicly call anyone out like certain people have been trying to do to me lately, BUT maybe some folks in Clarksville could explain the secret of 1000 in less than a year. Maybe I am in the minority and don't have a job that lets me geocache every day, just looking for an answer.....If there is a secret to being able to cache more often, or to have 1000 finds in a year, I would be willing to bet there are at least a few on this board that would LOVE to know the secret (I for the record could care less. I will take my 100+ finds anyday)

DK

Gaddiel
10-27-2005, 01:05 PM
If there is a secret to being able to cache more often, or to have 1000 finds in a year, I would be willing to bet there are at least a few on this board that would LOVE to know the secret

It's not a secret. Some people love to geocache and have time to do it.

Let's see... I assume that you brought this up for some reason, though. You seem to have a facination with high numbers.

(I for the record could care less...) DK

You could care less? Really? Hmm... :?: That seems to go contrary to many of your other posts, but if you say so... OK! :D

Black Knight
10-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Hey Gaddiel,
Let's just say I enjoy hearing how much time other people have on their hands. Funny how it is only the Clarksville group that has outrageously high numbers, does that mean no one in the whole rest of the state has that kind of time to cache? Come on.............You have got to be smarter than that.

So what's the secret? Anyone in CLARKSVILLE wanna chime in? As I said before I find it interesting, if not a little on the tuna side, that someone has so much time on their hands to geocache, but hey I could be wrong. I hope when I get old and retire I can do nothing but hunt geocaches all day long 24/7. I mean come on 100+ caches per month, what cacher would not LOVE to know the secret as to how to do that.

As I said, I love hearing how much time people have on their hands when I am at my nice little blue collar job all day long.

DK

arkansas_stickerdude
10-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Think about it DK thats only 25 a weekend and if you hit big towns like I know Nonniepoppy does that would be very easy. Like next weekend I'm planning on going to Tulsa( anyone else want to ride along contact me). Just in Tulsa there are 250+ in a 15 mile radius HELLO just to get 25 of those would be a peice of cake because a big percentage of those are Virtual's. Do 25 in a weekend and Tulsa is as close as Clarksville to me. 25 a weekend hahahahahahaha!

Black Knight
10-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Funny, I get responses from people that don't have 1000+ finds.....If you know the secret why aren't you up there?

Black Knight
10-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Think about it DK thats only 25 a weekend and if you hit big towns like I know Nonniepoppy does that would be very easy. Like next weekend I'm planning on going to Tulsa( anyone else want to ride along contact me). Just in Tulsa there are 250+ in a 15 mile radius HELLO just to get 25 of those would be a peice of cake because a big percentage of those are Virtual's. Do 25 in a weekend and Tulsa is as close as Clarksville to me. 25 a weekend hahahahahahaha!
By the way, are you going to go to Tulsa EVERY weekend for a year? Are you going to find 25 geocaches EVERY weekend for a year? Are you going to think about finding 25 geocaches EVERY weekend for a year?

For most people the answer is NO!!! And when I say most people I would venture that number to be 99 out of 100 would NOT want to find OR attempt to find 25 geocaches EVERY weekend for a year....

So laugh all you want Stickerdude, I mean I can tell from looking at your numbers that you find 25 a weekend every weekend.

When was the last time anyone snagged 25 caches 3 weekends in a row?

And ya know, I still haven't heard from anyone in Clarksville on this subject. Something tells me I probably won't.

DK

canoegoddess
10-28-2005, 03:57 PM
DK, Why do you care so much about everyone else's numbers? :?: It's not like we get any rewards for the most caches found.

And I know people that go on caching runs where they try to get 50+ in a day. You don't have to go every weekend if you do that.

It's pretty easy to do, but it's not as much fun for me, so I don't indulge.

Personally I'd rather take a long hike, and enjoy a nice view. So what if new members have more finds than me?

NatureFish
10-31-2005, 05:11 PM
I should know better by now to get sucked into this type of troll, but here goes.

My secret to geocaching numbers: Go find geocaches!

I did ten years in the Navy, then started and ran my own computer consulting business for 27 years, worked long hours and raised five children. Every week of that time I set something, not much, but something, aside, looking towards the day when I didn't have to do any of that.

Then I retired. Now I am spending some of it, my money and my time, playing.

I learned that geocaching for me is all about the people, so I rarely cache alone. I enjoy the friends I have made and the hilarious adventures and fun places we've been.

Most of my geocaching friends still work, but being retired I am most always available to go when they can.

Anyone that wants company caching for an hour or a weekend can post to our forums and whoever is free will join in.

We'll get seven folks, take one or more cars up to Nashville or Atlanta and cache for whatever time we have available. We stay together as a group, all look for the cache together, and whoever finds it generally signs a team name for the group. Anyone that was with the group at that cache logs it. In this way it's quite common to get 80 to 100 a day!

In Birmingham one can usually get 25 by themselves (if they hustle!) in a day. But remember we're crazy, especially in groups - a caching day is often 18 or 20 hours!

These numbers do, of course, reflect cherry-picking. You don't go after the hard ones or long hikes on a numbers run, you do those one or two at a time on leisuly days (or nights!).

So, to reiterate my secret - to get numbers, get out of your house and go find them!