PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Cache Bash VI Challenge 12-SEP

Savoy
06-21-2015, 12:37 PM
What better way to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of Lake Ouachita State Park than to have Cache Bash 6.0! GC5XVXJ

Cache Bash VI is a day of fellowship and fun for geocachers and their friends. The primary purpose is to get together to share stories of our adventures, share caching related activities, and to encourage interested people of learn more about geocaching in Arkansas.

We are pleased to be having Cache Bash VI at Lake Ouachita State Park as a way to celebrate her 60th! Regardless of the weather outside, THE WEATHER is great under our big tent and the nearby visitor's center, so please come and play!

The day will start with registration at 9 AM, with all other events starting at around 10 AM.
We plan on being done at ABOUT 4:00 PM with a few stories and awards for the day!
Agenda:
9:00 Registration Opens, Island Boat Tour registration open (if seats are still available), Coin and Discovery Table Opens, Accuracy Game Opens, Sign-ups for Game events open.
10:00 Cache Challenge Opens - Rules, score sheet and printed coordinates passed out. GSAK will be available for those with cords for their GPSr to download the coordinates for the dash caches.
10:30 Mini Events Open:: SpyCaching, Evil Caching Contest, Speed Cache Trail (These events run all day)
12:00 Picnic Lunch (Mini Events Close for Lunch - hey, we all need to eat, right?!)

Regarding FOOD and drinks - This is a picnic lunch experience. We will have iced water and hot dogs - you bring the rest and perhaps a little to share!

1:00 Island Tour Boats Leave.
1:30 Mini Events Reopen
2:00 Cache Challenge Closes - All sheets have to be turned in by this time.
3:00 All Dash sheets due turned in, Discovery Tables Close, Mini Events Close
3:30 Recognition and Feedback
4:00 Depart
This is STILL SUMMER in Arkansas so please come prepared for an outing!
The last Cache Bash V can be found here: http://coord.info/GC57Y5W

Cache Challenge Guidelines

The objective is to find the selected caches, "log them", and then report back to "home base" in the best time possible. This is for FUN so walk or run... go at your own pace - just be safe and enjoy your day with old, and new GeoFriends.

Each team (Single, Pairs, and Teams of +3) will sign-up on the appropriate sheet when checking in. There will be one round that you can begin at any time.
The final score will be calculated "per person" so there is not a large advantage to working in bigger groups - so just do what you'll enjoy the most. At the beginning every geocacher or team will receive their "Cache Bash Log Sheet" which will list the coordinates of the cache locations. Paper and GPX files will be available for upload at the registration tables. Teams should not start until the activity host signals that the fun has begun.
On reaching a cache, the team will sign the log and use the stamp from the cache on their Cache Bash Log Sheet. In the event that a cache is believed to be muggled, contact one of the event hosts. PLEASE replace the caches as you have found them. Once you have 'logged' all the caches, get back to "home base" and the activity host will time stamp your log sheet. There are several 'evil' caches in the course and some caches will be harder to reach/find than others. For each cache you log/stamp, you'll get the points that posted on the logsheet.

All sheets should be turned in to "home base" before the end of the Bash. Not all caches need to be found in order to turn in your log for consideration. The winning team will be the one that completed the course in the shortest amount of time per person. The First tie-breaker will be total points as indicated by the log sheet. In the case of the need for a second tie-breaker activity, one will be given by the host OR the teams will split the title and any other boons.

Island Boat Tours

In the afternoon session, a guided tour of many of Lake Ouachita's Inland geocaches will be lead. IT IS STRONGLY suggested that you register your interest in the island boat tour early, as seating is limited. The cost is $10.00 per adult, and $5.00 child. To register, simply indicate your desire BY POSTING IN THIS THREAD AND POSTING A WILL ATTEND ON GC.COM. This is not a guarantee of you'll have a seat of course, as they will fill on a first come, first serve basis until gone.

If seats are still available, registration for the Island Cache Tour will be open during the morning registration at the park visitor center.

Savoy
06-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Watch this post for updates on our Cache Bash 6.o and the Lake Ouachita Park 60th Anniversary Mystery Coin! The month before this event, you should be able to find these coins in caches around the state! When you find one, save it - and bring it to the event with you for, well, something Special!

Please only bring one, but if you find another - let a friend know!

- Savoy

Savoy
06-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Reserving a spot on the "Island Tour" for for Mrs. Savoy +1 muggle (two adults total).

butch724
06-21-2015, 01:50 PM
What is the GC number? I do not see it anywhere.

Savoy
06-21-2015, 01:57 PM
What is the GC number? I do not see it anywhere.
GC5XVXJ
It may not go live on GC.com until latter today. - Savoy

Clark~Griswold
06-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Reserving a spot on the island tour for 3.

arkfiremedic
06-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Reserving 3 spots. 2 adults and 1 child.

OldRiverRunner
06-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Reserving 3 spots (2 adults, 1 child).

Just curious, how many seats on the boat? And since I just reserved some seats (#8, 9, and 10, from my count), and assuming there are more than 10 seats available, I guess I have the seats. Or do I have to show up at 9 AM to claim my seats and if someone else gets there before me, I lose the seats? I guess I don't understand the "rules" for this. You say it is on a first-come, first-serve basis, so does that mean first-come, first-serve by reservation? OR first-come, first-serve by showing up at the event and claiming a seat?

RJElder
06-21-2015, 05:31 PM
Reserving a spot for 2 adults for the Island Tour

Savoy
06-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Reserving 3 spots (2 adults, 1 child).

Just curious, how many seats on the boat? And since I just reserved some seats (#8, 9, and 10, from my count), and assuming there are more than 10 seats available, I guess I have the seats. Or do I have to show up at 9 AM to claim my seats and if someone else gets there before me, I lose the seats? I guess I don't understand the "rules" for this. You say it is on a first-come, first-serve basis, so does that mean first-come, first-serve by reservation? OR first-come, first-serve by showing up at the event and claiming a seat?

You're all good... I'll post a message here (and on the official page) when we're full. I have at least two boats ready to go so far. For those who reserve a place, you're names will be on the list (pre-registered) with the Park Service who will handle all the rest.

Hope that helps! Les/Savy

SummitLady
06-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Seat for one on the boat please for SummitLady

SummitLady
06-21-2015, 06:08 PM
SummitLady needs a seat. One for the island tour please!

w00dduck
06-21-2015, 06:14 PM
w00dDuck needs a seat...ooorrrrr ill hang on the side.....

Savoy
06-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Awesome... Boat Tour folks, please also remember to post your "will attend" on the event page: http://coord.info/GC5XVXJ
It helps in the planning, Thanks!

St. Rock
06-21-2015, 06:19 PM
2 adults for the boat tour please.

KSDS97
06-21-2015, 06:21 PM
I thought Ducks Floated.

Clark~Griswold
06-21-2015, 06:31 PM
I edited my previous post. There will be three adults in the Griswold party for the boat tour.

w00dduck
06-21-2015, 06:47 PM
I thought Ducks Floated.

we do!!! saving that for emergency only. 8) 8) 8)

Savoy
06-21-2015, 06:54 PM
we do!!! saving that for emergency only. 8) 8) 8)

You guys are quacking me up!

floaten
06-22-2015, 03:39 AM
Please reserve one spot for me. Thank You!

Razorback01
06-22-2015, 06:45 AM
Reserving 2 spots on the Island Tour

Savoy
06-22-2015, 11:30 AM
... and that's 20. I have 20 seats on the Island Tours remaining.

If you're plans change, can you are not able to use your seat, please let me know so I let someone have that spot! Also, please remember to post your "will attend" log on the event page found here: http://coord.info/GC5XVXJ

Its going to be a blast!

- Savy

MathSeeker
06-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Two adults please!

Razz007
06-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Reserve for 4 (3 adults. 1 child)

Savoy
06-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Sounds good... got you down!

Angel06
06-25-2015, 06:04 PM
You're all good... I'll post a message here (and on the official page) when we're full. I have at least two boats ready to go so far. For those who reserve a place, you're names will be on the list (pre-registered) with the Park Service who will handle all the rest.

Hope that helps! Les/Savy

hdbmab wants to reserve 2 seats for the island tour

Razz007
06-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Here's an important note for anybody who plans to reserve a camping site.

If you try to book a campsite online at Lake Ouachita's official state park website, the site will tell you that there are no vacancies for that weekend. However, if you call the park directly at 501-767-9366, you can reserve a spot with no problem. I called this afternoon and the person I spoke to said they have plenty of camping areas. He told me that their website is a little buggy but within just a few short minutes, he had me registered with a confirmation email shortly after.

He told me that there were doing a few renovations in the area and some of the camping areas have been redesignated. (I think he said that Site B is now Site D??)

Anyway, I thought I would pass the info along!

--Razz

OldRiverRunner
06-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Hey Savoy,

Do you know if the boat trip will just be to the caches hidden by the State Park that require a boat to reach? Or will they go after others? I already found all of the park caches in their boat-required series, so if that's all they are going to, I may give up my seats to others.

Savoy
07-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Hey Savoy,

Do you know if the boat trip will just be to the caches hidden by the State Park that require a boat to reach? Or will they go after others? I already found all of the park caches in their boat-required series, so if that's all they are going to, I may give up my seats to others.

I'm still working on that... I made a run last week to work out the timing on that. I'm trying to get it so that there are around 8 or 9 island caches visited on the "tour". That will include the ones by the park plus others. If it works out like I think it will, that means that half will be that caches and the other half will be from others.

As we get closer, I'll post a planned route.

I hope that helps!

- Savy

Savoy
07-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Here's an important note for anybody who plans to reserve a camping site. ....

Anyway, I thought I would pass the info along!

--Razz

Good to know... thanks!!!

- Savy

perm74
07-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Les,
Please email me the planning dates so I can attend. I will do whatever you need as I am aware that S.W.A.G. Is working in conjunction with you and your team on this.

Thanks,
Jon

Savoy
07-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Les,
Please email me the planning dates so I can attend. I will do whatever you need as I am aware that S.W.A.G. Is working in conjunction with you and your team on this.

Thanks,
Jon

Roger that...

I think we'll make this an open event for the July token.... I'll do a barbecue Saturday July 18th at 2:00 (Little Rock)... "Meet your Board Member session," followed by a planning meeting for anyone that wants to stay for that. All to be finished up before 5.
I'll post a link one I get it up.
Thanks!

Savoy
07-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Planning meeting at my place (I'm grilling!), Saturday July 18th @fter 2:00 p. (grilling first)
Details below: http://coord.info/GC5YP2T (when it does live).
This will also help me meet one of the board "goals" for this year (might as well get a lot of birds with one stone).
I made our planning session an "post-event"!
- Savoy/Les

docfirewoman
07-04-2015, 06:28 PM
I would like two seats on boat tour if still available. Thanks We are excited to attend

c j & the Brat
07-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Would like to reserve a seat for me and the brat, as he will be 16 I would say 2 adults

Savoy
07-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Looks like we have 8 seats left on the boat tour. If you are interest just let me know in this thread.

I've updated the Event cache page with a few things,
1. Hamburgers this year (we had hot dogs last year)... BYOE (Bring Your Own Everything-Else). We'll have water available.
2. I added a special note for cell phone caching folks (the GPSr impaired :) ) that goes something like this:

A special note about cell phones and "phone caching apps": There is VERY, VERY, VERY little cell phone reception in the Lake Ouachita Park area. We plan on having a file prepared with all the same information as the GSAK files we transfer to GPSr's for the event so that they can be shared via a "hot spot" phone, but this has been notoriously sketchy in the past. Just in case, we will have a paper copy of all event information available for cell phone users. Please remember that if you are planning to cache in the area that you will need to download those to your phone app before you come to the event, or be willing to stand in some very odd positions in specific locations in the park. You've been warned. :)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/telecommunications-entrepreneur-entrepreneurial-locations-phone_receptions-phones-dcrn993_low.jpg

KSDS97
07-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Put me down for three spots in the boat.

KSDS97
07-20-2015, 07:17 PM
Cell phone service is how shall I put it. Oh yeah, there isn't any, it sucks for the most part.

Savoy
07-29-2015, 12:56 AM
New promo video.... please share on your networks to get work out on our event.
Take care, Savy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbNwVyovaPI

MathSeeker
07-29-2015, 12:03 PM
Good job on the video, Savoy!

arkfiremedic
07-29-2015, 01:12 PM
As much as I hate to I must now give our seats up on the boat. Should nobody else want them I'll send the money for them if you will let me know where to send it to.

Savoy
07-30-2015, 07:58 AM
As much as I hate to I must now give our seats up on the boat. Should nobody else want them I'll send the money for them if you will let me know where to send it to.

Now a problem... thanks for letting us know. I'm sure those seats will be taken up by someone.
Thanks! Savy

Savoy
07-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Good job on the video, Savoy!

Thanks... I hope people watch the last few seconds at least. There is a little geo-Easter-egg there :)

LadyRedbug
08-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Are seats still available on the Island Tour? If so, I would like to reserve two spots for LadyRedbug & friend. Thanks!

Savoy
08-18-2015, 03:58 PM
Are seats still available on the Island Tour? If so, I would like to reserve two spots for LadyRedbug & friend. Thanks!

Yep... I believe that will be the last two seats!

At this point, if people are interested in this, they will need to check in at the event to see if there were can cancellations.

Thank you everyone for the overwhelming interest in the Boat Tour mini-event!

- Savoy

MathSeeker
08-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Two adults please!

I am giving up our two adult seats. Please make them available to someone else. Thank you!

Savoy
08-19-2015, 08:45 PM
Will do.... thanks!
= Savoy

LadyRedbug
08-26-2015, 02:21 AM
I am giving up two adult seats. We won't be able to make it to this event, after all, due to conflicts with a grandson's football games and a son-in-law's birthday celebration.

docfirewoman
08-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Yes... I am one of "those people" I am a phone cacher.. I am not gps impaired, in fact because I am a physics prof I even can explain the relativity involved in how they work, I just like my phone. So I guess I will take my lumps and type things in to my gps if I have to due to signal. I appreciate the heads up on the poor signal. Sky Forest and I are excited to attend

Savoy
08-26-2015, 07:48 PM
I am giving up two adult seats. We won't be able to make it to this event, after all, due to conflicts with a grandson's football games and a son-in-law's birthday celebration.

Thanks for the heads up.. we'll miss you!

Savoy
08-26-2015, 07:49 PM
Yes... I am one of "those people" I am a phone cacher.. I am not gps impaired, in fact because I am a physics prof I even can explain the relativity involved in how they work, I just like my phone. So I guess I will take my lumps and type things in to my gps if I have to due to signal. I appreciate the heads up on the poor signal. Sky Forest and I are excited to attend

LOL. Nice. We're going to try and have one of the phones act as a "hot spot" so you can get the file needed for the app.
BUT, just in case, we'll have the paper version too!

We're excited to to have you!

- Savy

apache_scout
08-28-2015, 07:08 PM
If two seats are now available. Susan and I would like to reserve them.
Jim Yeager
apache scout & sioux-zq

Savoy
08-29-2015, 02:59 PM
If two seats are now available. Susan and I would like to reserve them.
Jim Yeager
apache scout & sioux-zq

Done! I'll put you down.
- Savoy

Savoy
08-29-2015, 03:00 PM
I can't believe its just two short weeks until Cache Bash again!

I'm looking to seeing everyone there and hearing about this year's adventures at the after party.

- Savoy / Les

apache_scout
08-29-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks, This sounds like a great day. Can't wait.

OldRiverRunner
09-03-2015, 06:04 AM
It looks doubtful that I will be able to attend, after all. So I am giving up my 3 boat seats (2 adults, 1 child). I hope everyone has a good time and I will be with you in my thoughts that day!

Savoy
09-03-2015, 07:37 PM
It looks doubtful that I will be able to attend, after all. So I am giving up my 3 boat seats (2 adults, 1 child). I hope everyone has a good time and I will be with you in my thoughts that day!

Sorry you won't be able to make it! But thanks for the heads up.

Take care out there!

- Les

Savoy
09-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Its just a few short days to this year's Cache Bash 6.0!

Please get the word out - this would be a good event to bring new geocachers or those who'd like to see what its about.

See you all soon - Savy

docfirewoman
09-09-2015, 07:06 AM
It seems unlikely I will be able to make it to the event so I will turn back my two seats on boats. I am bummed but unforeseen circumstances....dang it. Maybe I can come to a part of the event or then there is always next time. Y'all have fun

docfirewoman
09-09-2015, 10:11 AM
I have some trackables I wanted to bring I";ll try to send those with someone

Savoy
09-09-2015, 10:42 PM
http://arkgeocaching.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=337&stc=1
This is a VERY tentative route for the boat tour in the afternoon for those asking.
There will be about 10 seats open for folks available the day of the event.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

- Savy

runningpuma
09-11-2015, 06:19 PM
We're always late, but we'll be there (with the puppies). We're going to camp if we can get a site. Can't wait to see everyone!