PDA

View Full Version : May 2015 Geocacher Profile

MathSeeker
05-01-2015, 05:58 PM
The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Jon Jacoby aka Ironhorse4 should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?

Ironhorse4

How did you choose your handle?
I was perm74. That was my video game handle. I changed it to Ironhorse4 when I was diagnosed with a motor neuron disease that debilitates my walk. Ironhorse was Lou Gehrig’s nickname while he was playing ball. He was my grandpa’s favorite player and the ambassador for all Motor neuron diseases. 4 was added for that was his playing number for the Yankees.

How long have you been geocaching?
5/29/2010

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
Using my smartphone with the help of my wife and kids on a blazing hot day in the end of May 2010. Sharks Like to Party (GC1T8RJ).

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
I cache alone at times which I don't care for or I go with a small group here in Hot Springs (S.W.A.G..). They are the greatest group of people and are my best of friends.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
Puzzles really aren't my thing. I will look at them and give a small try but if they require a masters in math or a computer science degree I don't bother with them. I have almost more events attended than puzzles found if that tells you anything.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
Russellville and Cabot/Jacksonville areas have to be on my list for favorite places to cache. Both areas have a wide variety of types of hides and the creativeness of the people that hide in those areas deserve to be recognized for a job well done. I would rather find 10 awesome containers/cammo caches than 1000 stop sign film canisters.

Do you do paperless caching?
Yes. I started after the era of the smartphone so I never had to use paper.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
Garmin Montana 650. I love this thing. Way better than the 62csx I was using that required me to use my cell phone in conjunction for the size, difficulty, hint, etc. I also use my cell phone for unplanned trips. For example going out of town, getting to a restaurant and having to wait 45 minutes. The phone gives me something to kill those minutes as there is always one 528 feet away or less.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?
Geocaching keeps you off the couch, you get to see amazing destinations including ones in your own town that you may not have been aware of, and it is a great family activity that involves being outdoors that my generation grew up with and my kids generation of electronics.

Where are you originally from?
I grew up in Corning, New York. Town of 10,000 people in west NY. I always clarify that so people don't assume I'm from the city. Only been to the city one time. Hated it. I was a hillbilly from the north. Yes.... Rednecks are in the north as well, the city folk just refer to us as hillbillies.

In what states have you geocached?
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, and the Cayman Islands.

What was your first event ever attended?
ArkGeo March 2011 Eat-N-Greet: Malvern (GC2NRZ1).

How many caches have you found?

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?
Unknown, they are usually the more creative ones.

What was the most famous cache that you have found?
Gorilla Stash (GC1B)

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
Rechargeable but that is only in the past year.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?
Finding

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
Creativeness. I try to make hides that people will either remember the location or remember the container.

What is your favorite type of cache hide?
Traditional

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
Micro in the woods (GC3WVHW)
Urban Jungle (GC30NME)
Tire Shop Oh My! (GC2X6ZD)

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
I don't think there should be a ratio. If one wants to hide one without finding any so be it. Granted as a finder, at times you have to take the amount of their finds into consideration when you hunt. It just requires a wider search. A wider search keeps the game fun and different. If every hide put me within 3 feet, I might find that to get a bit boring.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?
I was at work on lunch listening to a guy tell me about his vacation and he geocached on the way to his destination. I was hooked from his story. I spent the rest of my lunch hour looking for the cache in the parking lot at work. I struck out and waited for my wife to bring the kids after work and help me out. After about another hour of searching I decided to lift the lamp pole skirt as that was the only thing including searching in cracks I hadn't done. Bingo! Yes... a lamp post cache got me hooked. It was Sharks Like to Party (GC1T8RJ). My first logged cache, because I had no idea what I was doing (my second found cache) was Suits or Schnauzers (GC18XPK). The guy in the break room was the brother in law of a great friends I have made since, Flyfishingcachers!

What's your favorite geocache?
I don't have one favorite. I have a group of favorites and they are the I.C. Series by KnKinCabot. If you haven't done that series you should. If you're trying to get someone hooked on geocaching this series is the one you want to go find. I.C. Shortwave (GC485ZG) for a reference point.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?
Antarctica

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?
Group

How many First to Finds do you have?

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
I went for FTF's so I could get a challenge completed here in Hot Springs. Now I don't go for any unless I am in a group and we get it together. My mileage was set to 50, now my mileage is set to being able to reach the FTF from my recliner.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
Anything my kids find interesting and disc golf.