PDA

View Full Version : What does updating coordinates on the Mystery caches do?

cnwilks
01-07-2015, 09:25 PM
When you solve a mystery cache, and update the coordinates, it shows a link to the actual updated location on the cache page, but not the map. And when I pull up the cache on the app, it doesn't have the updated coordinates. Is there something else I need to do?

I went out today with a bunch of caches printed on paper, and exposing my fingers made for a very short trip. I'd prefer the convenience of the app's navigational features.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

ABJCM
01-08-2015, 03:33 AM
Watching this because I've had the same issues. Thanks for asking!
-Angela

floaten
01-08-2015, 07:56 AM
As you know a mystery cache most likely is not at the posted coordinates. It can be up to 2 miles away. First let me ask a question? When you say "update the coordinates" are you manually changing them on the listing page? There is what looks like a pencil to the right of the listed coordinates(see attached photo). If you click on this pencil it will allow you to manually change the listed coordinates. This will not shift the icon on the Groundspeak map but it should shift your icon on the app.

Let me backup a second. I do not use a iPhone so I have no idea what happens with the official geocaching app on an iPhone. I can only speak for an Android with the c:geo or GCDroid app. In those two apps it shifts the icon to the corrected coordinates. I have seen occasions where this doesn't happen with c:geo so all you need to do is open the specific mystery cache in the c:geo app and immediately go back to the map and it will shift.

I hunt mystery caches. I think I have found over 400 now. It would be a major pain (revert back to the old ways) if I could not use the corrected coordinates feature. I use it constantly and it works without fail.

I hope this answers your question. If not, I can give more details.

cnwilks
01-08-2015, 08:58 AM
I did update the coordinates on the listing page, but when I pulled up the listing on the App (the official Geo app on the iPhone), it still had the old coordinates listed.

Buckshot/MamaLlama
01-08-2015, 09:43 AM
I did update the coordinates on the listing page, but when I pulled up the listing on the App (the official Geo app on the iPhone), it still had the old coordinates listed.

For clarification, when you say "updated on the listing page" are you referring to the app or to the website? I have not done very many mysteries yet but I don't believe you can update the info on the cache page on the website other than to add a note for your own information. Which I assume you can transfer that info to the app in some way. I may or may not be correct on that. In the official iphone app, once you are looking at the navigation map of a listed cache, tap the three dots in the upper right corner to bring up a menu box. At the top of that menu tap add waypoint. Then enter the coordinate info and rename the waypoint (i.e. "Final") if you wish. Tap done and when back on the map touch the new flag on the map for an info box to pop up. Tap the arrow to bring up another menu and select "set as target" for the app to then navigate you to the new coordinate set. Hope this helps.

cnwilks
01-08-2015, 10:48 AM
There wasn't an option on the menu to add a waypoint, but I did notice that one was added to the navigation screen with the updated coordinates. I think I'm in business!

Buckshot/MamaLlama
01-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Apologies if I was not clear. The "add waypoint" is in the menu on the navigation map screen. Once you have the cache page showing, tap on the "Navigate to Geocache" button with the map showing, not the compass. Then tap on the dots for the appropriate menu. Either way, if you are able to see the updated coordinates then happy caching!

cnwilks
01-08-2015, 02:25 PM
It worked fine...I grabbed a Mystery Cache at Lunch today :-)

ABJCM
01-08-2015, 03:14 PM
I hope this answers your question. If not, I can give more details.

It answered mine...Thank you very much!!
:D Ang

floaten
01-09-2015, 06:06 AM
For clarification, when you say "updated on the listing page" are you referring to the app or to the website? I have not done very many mysteries yet but I don't believe you can update the info on the cache page on the website other than to add a note for your own information.

FYI - Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your comment. If I have, disregard everything I am about to say and I will apologize ahead of time. You CAN update the info on the cache page. That is what the bulk of my first post is explaining. You click the "pencil" next to the listed coordinates and insert the corrected coordinates. You have just updated the listing page to the actual coordinates of the mystery cache. What it will not do is move the icon on the groundspeak map. I think grounspeak could make this happen if the programmed the page to make the shift but they have not done that.

Nevertheless, if you have an Android (sorry apple folks) your phone uses the new coordinates you replaced on the listing page. As far as your phone is concerned the coordinates your manually entered on the listing page are the "real coordinates". This is why I do not use the official geocaching app. I purchased it but it just is not up to par with two other apps that are on the market. This is obviously my personal opinion and my comments can be stricken if need be.

It is so much easier to update the coordinates on the listing page and let you phone app calculate the shift than trying to manually enter the new coordinates in the phone, while in the field, then proceed to the cache. All I have to do is start the app and I'm off. Otherwise, you have to pull up the coordinates, copy and paste them (which doesn't always work because you have to enter north and west separately so you end up writing on your hand), then you can finally get going. That is a hassle.

Sorry for the rambling. My main point is updating the coordinates on the listing page is the "way to go". If you own an iPhone you get to do it the hard way. Sorry. Having said that, anything is easier than how I did things back in 2005 so it is all relative. I'm spoiled with Android technology and c:geo.

Buckshot/MamaLlama
01-09-2015, 10:03 AM
FYI - Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your comment. If I have, disregard everything I am about to say and I will apologize ahead of time. You CAN update the info on the cache page. That is what the bulk of my first post is explaining. You click the "pencil" next to the listed coordinates and insert the corrected coordinates. You have just updated the listing page to the actual coordinates of the mystery cache. What it will not do is move the icon on the groundspeak map. I think grounspeak could make this happen if the programmed the page to make the shift but they have not done that.

No apologies necessary. In fact my apologies to you for completely missing the "pencil" reference and the picture reference. My brain was already in the act of formulating a response to the original post and my assumption was that you were referring to the cache notes a little further down the cache page on the website. I find it difficult at the best of times to think and read or think and speak as it is. Throw in trying to type or write it and it gets even more difficult for me. I have a tendency to think much faster than I speak or write. More aptly put, I speak and write much slower than I think. I am not always a good multi-tasker. ;) I don't often comment in the forums for that reason.

As I mentioned, I have not gone after very many mysteries. The ones That I have gotten were with my cousin (blind in one eye) who had already done the work for the coordinates and then I helped by providing an extra set of eyes at GZ. So thank you for your information as I had never noticed the "pencil" next to the coordinates on a mystery cache page.

Nevertheless, if you have an Android (sorry apple folks) your phone uses the new coordinates you replaced on the listing page. As far as your phone is concerned the coordinates your manually entered on the listing page are the "real coordinates". This is why I do not use the official geocaching app. I purchased it but it just is not up to par with two other apps that are on the market. This is obviously my personal opinion and my comments can be stricken if need be.

It is so much easier to update the coordinates on the listing page and let you phone app calculate the shift than trying to manually enter the new coordinates in the phone, while in the field, then proceed to the cache. All I have to do is start the app and I'm off. Otherwise, you have to pull up the coordinates, copy and paste them (which doesn't always work because you have to enter north and west separately so you end up writing on your hand), then you can finally get going. That is a hassle.

Sorry for the rambling. My main point is updating the coordinates on the listing page is the "way to go". If you own an iPhone you get to do it the hard way. Sorry. Having said that, anything is easier than how I did things back in 2005 so it is all relative. I'm spoiled with Android technology and c:geo.

As to whether you are using an Android, Apple, or whatever device, no need for apology there either. Personal preferences are exactly that. I use the official app on my iPhone because that is what I have and works best for me at the moment. Personally, I would not mind using Android or Windows Phone and the best app on either of those if that was what worked best at the time. I am a tech nut according to my wife but I don't subscribe to a single branding. I use a windows laptop, Android tablet and the iPhone on a daily basis. All are a means to an end for me.

I did do a test now that I know about the "pencil" on the cache page and the official app on the iPhone does indeed update the navigation page with the corrected coordinates as you described. It seems that updating the cache page via the website or as I describe via the app navigation page will accomplish the task.

Thank you for the information and the conversation! Hopefully we have helped each other (you helped me develop a new wrinkle on my brain) or help someone else who might be watching this thread or happen on to it in the future.

Happy Caching Y'all!!!!

floaten
01-09-2015, 02:17 PM
I enjoyed the conversation too. I wish this forum was ten times busier. I still consider myself a semi-novice geocacher and I am very open to learning and receiving new ideas. Honestly, I wish I knew more about how the Apple products worked with the various apps. I like answering questions but have to rely on research and not actual first hand knowledge when it comes to the iPhone. My wife has an iPhone 6 but she does not cache unless she is with me and then she is only there for moral support.

Anyway, I enjoyed the dialog and hopefully others find it useful too.

cnwilks
01-09-2015, 06:53 PM
I've been working with computers for a couple of decades now, and I have witnessed a lot of crossfire about the Mac vs. PC debate. One of my mentors in grad school forced us to do everything on macs, because he knew he was sending us out into a PC world, and he wanted us to have some cross training. But ultimately, they're a toolbox, and can complete the same tasks. Power users might have their preferences, but for me, I prefer PCs because I can afford to replace them every couple of years, and typically need to (I edit video).

I recently got my second iPhone, a 5s, and love it. I had my 3G for about 4 years, twice as long as any other cell phone, and it served me well. I upgraded to the new phone shortly after I started caching, and the app makes it so easy. I'd be willing to wager that it is more or less the same than the app for Androids in most ways.

I am interested in eventually getting a GPS that I can take backpacking, if for no other reason than I want to be able to carry around extra batteries...running the app drains the battery on the phone pretty quickly, and if you're not getting in and out of the car a lot, to charge it up, you're probably in store for a pretty short day.

I agree with both of you...It would make me happy to see the forums a bit more active. If Floaten considers himself a semi-novice, then I suppose that would make me a hatchling :-) But it's nice to start building a network of people who are there to offer pointers when I get stuck.

floaten
01-12-2015, 08:48 AM
I agree with your comments about either PC being a toolbox and both can complete the tasks the same. The real issue is the software.

In my opinion, c:geo is hands down the best geocaching app on the market. Others may not agree. I have purchased and used most all of them. It isn't the phone or computer that is the issue. I wish the developers of c:geo would make the app for the Iphone. It is an awesome app. My biggest complaint about the official app is they do not have a LIVE API (live map updating). When you move the map to a new area you have to hit the "search here" button to populate the map instead of it filling in automatically. For example, lets say you have your official geocaching app running and your driving down an unknown road. As your location icons moves off the initial page you eventually will not see any cache icons. You need to hit the "search here" button to populate. On the other hand, c:geo (and there are others) has a live map. As you move down the road your map shifts but it continuously updates the page and any cache within the screen will populate letting you know it is there. This is great for trips when your driving down the highway and you come up to a rest stop or major interstate exit. You'll see a cache at that stop and you can decided to pull of and make the grab. You don't have to hit the "search here" button ever five minutes to update the map as your moving along.

If I'm wrong and there is a setting I don't have toggled correctly would someone please correct me.

Buckshot/MamaLlama
01-12-2015, 12:06 PM
My biggest complaint about the official app is they do not have a LIVE API (live map updating). When you move the map to a new area you have to hit the "search here" button to populate the map instead of it filling in automatically. For example, lets say you have your official geocaching app running and your driving down an unknown road. As your location icons moves off the initial page you eventually will not see any cache icons. You need to hit the "search here" button to populate. On the other hand, c:geo (and there are others) has a live map. As you move down the road your map shifts but it continuously updates the page and any cache within the screen will populate letting you know it is there. This is great for trips when your driving down the highway and you come up to a rest stop or major interstate exit. You'll see a cache at that stop and you can decided to pull of and make the grab. You don't have to hit the "search here" button ever five minutes to update the map as your moving along.

If I'm wrong and there is a setting I don't have toggled correctly would someone please correct me.

I have to agree here. A live refreshing map would be awesome. I am unaware of a setting that would allow this and I have been all over the settings in the official app for the iphone. This is where the pocket queries come in handy for premium members. I have several that I have set up covering particular areas that I visit fairly often as well as several "special interest" areas or routes that I have saved to the phone. In a broader series of PQs I have just about every cache in the state saved for those times when we are just out and about.