PDA

View Full Version : Wherigo Caches

KSDS97
05-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Has anyone ever done one using an Android Phone?

Nukeworker
05-20-2014, 11:10 AM
We've had great success with our I-phones using the Wherigo app, but have never used an android.

floaten
05-21-2014, 06:03 AM
This app just got an update and from what I've read is working much better. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=menion.android.whereyougo

Specifically with KITKAT minus an SD card. So it sounds like it is working now. I'm going to download it again and try Yuri's Cache in Burns park. I'm not sure I'll be able to do that before the weekend as I'm guessing your asking this question so you can use it at GeoWoodstock.

floaten
05-22-2014, 07:52 AM
Quick update. I downloaded the WhereYouGo app on my phone yesterday. I was not able to download the .gwc file directly to my phone so I downloaded it to my PC. I downloaded file for Pocket - PC Device. I manually inserted the file to the folder created in my phone called WhereYouGo. Once I did that it worked perfectly. Now I just need to get down to Burns Park and test it. Seems like it is going to work.

KSDS97
05-26-2014, 06:33 PM
It does work i used it at geowoodstockxii

knkincabot
05-27-2014, 06:48 PM
I have an Android and I use the Wheryougo app. It does work but if you try using it and C:GEO at the same time, it locks up my phone after a while.

floaten
05-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Awesome. Now I just need to find time and grab the one at Burns Park. C:Geo is my primary app so I'm going try it both ways so see what happens on my phone. Thanks for the update.

likestocanoe
05-28-2014, 07:13 PM
I can't get the Whereigo app to load on my iphone. Thought is was just a problem in Missouri, but still won't load at home... Ideas?

Flyfishingcachers
05-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Ours works fine on our iPhones.

MathSeeker
05-28-2014, 07:35 PM
I can't get the Whereigo app to load on my iphone. Thought is was just a problem in Missouri, but still won't load at home... Ideas?

I use the Wherigo app for the iPhone. It works great for me. I have used it a few times. Does the app open at all?

Nukeworker
05-29-2014, 01:54 PM
We installed the wherigo I-phone app a few years ago and it has worked much better than doing wherigo's through a GPS unit. Once in a while we will have to exit the app and resume play, but otherwise it has worked great.

OldPaintMan and wife were having issues with the android wherigo app if anyone has any suggestions for them...

KSDS97
05-29-2014, 05:43 PM
call me and tell me what the app does. 501-941-8886

guwisti
05-30-2014, 09:36 AM
I have no problem doing Wherigos on my iPhone. Sometimes, like others have mentioned, you have to go in or out of a zone for it to recognize, but other than that, no issues whatsoever.

floaten
06-04-2014, 05:11 AM
I successfully completed my first Whereigo cache. Honestly I had never heard of them until moving to the Little Rock area a year ago. I have a Samsung S4 with KitKat. I was a little worried the new KitKat operating system might cause problems but it did not. The only issue I had is I could not download the cartridge directly from the cache listing. I had to download the cartridge to my computer and manually transfer it to the WhereYouGo folder on my phone. Other than that it was smooth sailing.

I did the Whereigo in Burns park. I had no idea what to expect and like how this particular one was like a story. I had never been to Burns park at that points so I was pretty much lost the entire time. Anyway, cool idea. Makes me want to place one in Cabot.

If anyone with an Android phone needs help or has question don't hesitate to ask.

likestocanoe
06-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the offered help! My son got it to work over the weekend. Now to try and load one...

arkfiremedic
06-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the offered help! My son got it to work over the weekend. Now to try and load one...

Whoo Hoo! The one at Burns Park is fun and pretty easy if you can fit it in your trip to Fort Smith. I know ORR has some in Russellville too, but I haven't had a chance to do them.

OldRiverRunner
06-04-2014, 08:58 PM
I know ORR has some in Russellville too, but I haven't had a chance to do them.
For those traveling I-40 to Saturday's event, besides the 3 Wherigos I have in Russellville, nukeworker & Racquetball Girl have 2 in the Russellville area, and Guwisti has one in Ozark and one in Van Buren. All are well done and a lot of fun to do!

SJClimber
06-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Okay, I'm a little slow to attempt Wherigos. Would someone please step by step walk me through the process of downloading a cartridge to the iPhone? It appears that the only options for download are to a few Garmin devices and PPC's. Is accepting the PPC option correct for an iPhone? Any assistance would be appreciated.

arkfiremedic
06-05-2014, 01:28 AM
SJClimber you want PPC (pocket PC) for your iPhone. You should be able to download the cartridge from there to your iPhone. I'll send you a PM tomorrow with step by step instructions when I get off work.

Thanks ORR, I didn't realize there were more. 2ter only likes them if she doesn't have to walk far, or we can drive between the steps, or she stays in the ac and her dad completes it and then logs it for her. She prefers the latter the best :)

SJClimber
06-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Wow, thanks AFM. And thanks for taking time to send the PM. I have the cartridges loaded (I think, taking your suggestion to use the PPC download option) for Wherigos in Silverton and Durango, CO. Off with Jake92 tomorrow morning to see if we can play the game. Again, thanks..

Nukeworker
06-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Aekfiremedic,

Our Solar System Wherigo is a tour of the solar system while driving. You only have to exit your vehicle if a stage locks up and to sign the log. Our Arkansas Tech Tour Wherigo is a short walk on campus at Ar Tech in Rsvl. We recently completed Guwisti's Ozark Tour Wherigo which is also a driving wherigo which showed us many historical spots in Ozark that we had never notice before. It is well done. Haven't had a chance to complete the Battle of Van Buren or Downtown Rsvl wherigo's, but ORR's Bona Dea: Trail of Horrors is very well done. That cartridge requires some walking, but it's along a level, paved path. ORR's Easy as Pie is a great wherigo if someone is learning how to use the app. Hope this helps you decide which ones 2ter would enjoy doing. While doing a driving wherigo it is highly recommended to have someone help the driver navigate so they can concentrate on traffic. Have fun and look forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

knkincabot
06-09-2014, 10:05 AM
When Kim uses her iPhone, see selects download for Garmin and it works fine.
Basically she goes to the Wherigo.com page and downloads the cartridge, then opens the Wherigo app on her iPhone and it is there.

I own a droid phone and the steps are a bit different. This is the one area the Google has failed the droid community for you can't download the cartridge directly to your phone from the website and use it. Google doesn't use format preserving when storing downloads and this renders the cartridge useless to the app. Instead you have to email it to your phone's email as an attachment, or save it to your phone when it is attached to a computer, and save it in the Wheigo app folder.

The rest is the same regardless of phone.

I do have an older phone (Motorola HD, about 4 or 5 years old) and it will lock up while playing a cartridge if I have too many apps open or if I have C:geo open. In talking to the developers of C:geo, it appears the older operating system on the phone will not share the compass\GPS chip nicely with other apps. I have been told that the newer OS plays much better. Floaten has a newer droid phone so he may be able to offer more insight into that.

Just food for thought.

Kent

floaten
06-09-2014, 11:44 AM
When Kim uses her iPhone, see selects download for Garmin and it works fine.
Basically she goes to the Wherigo.com page and downloads the cartridge, then opens the Wherigo app on her iPhone and it is there.

I own a droid phone and the steps are a bit different. This is the one area the Google has failed the droid community for you can't download the cartridge directly to your phone from the website and use it. Google doesn't use format preserving when storing downloads and this renders the cartridge useless to the app. Instead you have to email it to your phone's email as an attachment, or save it to your phone when it is attached to a computer, and save it in the Wheigo app folder.

The rest is the same regardless of phone.

I do have an older phone (Motorola HD, about 4 or 5 years old) and it will lock up while playing a cartridge if I have too many apps open or if I have C:geo open. In talking to the developers of C:geo, it appears the older operating system on the phone will not share the compass\GPS chip nicely with other apps. I have been told that the newer OS plays much better. Floaten has a newer droid phone so he may be able to offer more insight into that.

Just food for thought.

Kent

My Galaxy S4 worked fine with C:Geo and Whereyougo opened at the same time. Keep in mind I've only done one Whereigo cache.

floaten
06-14-2014, 11:08 PM
An update for those interested. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 today. I downloaded all my standard apps which included Whereyougo. Just for the heck of it I tried to download the Yuri's cache cartridge in Burns Park to my phone. I selected pocket pc and hit to download button and sure enough it began to download. I was surprised. The file was downloaded to the downloads folder on the phone so all I had to do was simply move it to the Whereyougo folder. I did that and the app detected it. I'm not sure what the difference is because both phones are running the same OS.

SJClimber
06-15-2014, 11:27 AM
An additional query for iPhone users. Where are the cartridge files located to delete once the wherigo is completed? Edit/delete option I assume? Thanks..

OldRiverRunner
06-16-2014, 02:26 PM
An additional query for iPhone users. Where are the cartridge files located to delete once the wherigo is completed? Edit/delete option I assume? Thanks..
I can't answer where the files are located, but the Edit/Delete option is what I use to remove them from my iPhone! Seems to work fine.