View Full Version : January 17, 2014 ArkGeo Board Meeting Minutes

02-04-2014, 08:39 AM
ArkGeo Board Meeting
Minutes for January 17, 2014

Immediate Past President: Chris Denton
President: Kent Uhrich
Executive Vice-President: Jim Sick
Treasurer/Secretary: Judy Vaughn
Website Manager: Kevin Cackler

ROUND-TABLE DISCUSSION (6:00-6:30) Start conference call recording
Open Discussion

Board Members present: Kent Uhrich, Chris Denton, Judy Vaughn, Ron White, Linda Tredway, Mark Willis, and Morgan O’Neal (Call-in)

Visitors: Kim Uhrich and Pat Vaughn


President's Report: Prepared by Kent Uhrich

January 17, 2014 Board meeting

Goal 1 - Membership -- Increase registered voters by 20% by 5/31/13.
Owner: Kent Uhrich
Status – 01/15/13 As of 01/15/13 there were 282 registered voters. We have 285 registered voters need 53 more registered voters to meet this goal.

Goal 2 - Fund Raising – Implement 2 fund raising initiatives to raise $350.00 by 5/31/14
Owner: Judy Vaughn
Status – 10/11/13

Goal 3 – Events – Hold 1 general membership meeting by 6/15/14.
Owner Jim Sick
Status – 01/15/14 Event is planned June 7, 2014 at Janet Huckabee Arkansas River Valley Nature Center in Ft. Smith Arkansas

Goal 4 – Events – Hold 2 CITO events by 6/15/14. – Owner Kent Uhrich
Status – 01/15/14 1 CITO event planned on June 8, 2014 at State meet.

Goal 5 – Events – Hold 2 ‘Eat & Greets’ by 6/15/14 in the following regions of the state:
NW – Planned on this date this location – Owners Morgan and Kent
NE – Planned on this date this location – Owners Linda and Chris
Central – Planned on this date this location – Owners Mark and Judy
SE – Planned on this date and this location – Owners Ron and Jim
SW – Planned on this date and this location – Sandy and Ron
Status – 01/15/14
1 event held in Central in Nov
1 event held in SE in Nov

Goal 6 – Teaching Opportunities. Teach Geocaching at 4 locations around the state by 5/31/14.
Owner: Community Relations Committee - Kent Uhrich
Status – 10/11/13 July 18 ArkGeo taught at East Lab.
Status - 01/15/14
This format should keep our goals and progress out in the open and help keep us accountable.

Treasurer's Report:

Arkansas Geocachers Association Statement of Income and Expenses
for October 11, 2013 – January 17, 2014
Prepared by Judy Vaughn, Secretary/Treasurer

Beginning Balance




$ 451.00

TOTAL Income

$ 451.00


Car Decals

$ 108.50


$ 536.08

TOTAL Expenses

$ 644.58

Closing Balance



PayPal Balance

$ 315.95

Checking Balance


TOTAL in Checking & PayPal


$20.00 in Merchandise bank bag

Website Manager's Report: no report


Election Committee: Chris Denton, Board Liaison

The election committee has had very little activity this quarter.

Fund Raising Committee: report prepared by Judy Vaughn. Board Liaison

The Fund Raising Committee has been busy this quarter. Sharon Simmons of flyfishingcachers became the chairperson for the committee. The committee decided on t-shirt and car decal designs. T-shirts and car decals were ordered and received. Committee members sold merchandise at the Paris event. Three coins were sold through the website. There is still a need for more t-shirts to be ordered for the Annual Meeting.

Community Relations Committee: Kent Uhrich, Board Liaison

ArkGeo members, Jim Sick and Pat & Judy Vaughn, worked a booth at this year's GIS Day event, on November 20th at the North Little Rock Wyndham Riverfront. They had the opportunity to talk to many people about geocaching and ArkGeo.

Events Committee: report prepared by Jim Sick, Board Liaison

In the last three months there have been two different events sponsored by ArkGeo. On the 16th of November thefab5willisclan and Mathseeker hosted an ArkGeo Eat and Greet in North Little Rock and on December 17th Sayitagain and Ron White held an ArkGeo Eat and Greet in Dumas. Both were well attended. The one in Southeast Arkansas was moved from Monticello where it had been previously held to Dumas. The events committee decided to move the second annual Arkansas Challenge Event to sometime in the fall at a site as yet to be determined. They are still working on finalizing plans for the annual meeting (GC4WQ9A) which is going to be held on June 7th at the Janet Huckabee River Valley Nature Center in Fort Smith. An ArkGeo CITO event (GC4WQCW) will be held on June 8th at the Janet Huckabee River Valley Nature Center. Likestocanoe and ronwhite are scheduled to host an ArkGeo Meet and Greet in Nashville (GC4WKRZ)on February 8th.

Membership Relations Committee: Morgan O’Neal, Board Liaison

Selected Arkansas Geocachers to profile on the ArkGeo website:
November - Don Guthrie aka TinmanJones
December - Bruce Crane aka QuartzCachers
January - Clark and Deb Gray aka CFD29


I. Arkansas Challenge – Move to fall, Kent to follow up

II. 2015 State Event - Location ? Should be where the most members can attend

III. Cache of the Month\Year - Kent to send the requirements
- Membership committee to review requirements
- Any recommendations

IV. ArkGeo Meet and Greets
How are they going? Central and Southeast Regions have held one each.
Southwest is scheduled for February 8, 2014.
Remember to put them on the website’s calendar of events.

V. Ideas to get members to vote.
Chance to win an Arkgeo Bronze coin

MOTION made by Chris Denton and seconded by Mark Willis. Have a drawing for a bronze ArkGeo coin at the 2014 Annual Event for those who vote in the May 2014 board election. One entry for each person who votes.
Motion carried.

Have registering to vote available at March Meet and Greets.
Add to newsletter and send emails for registering/voting.

VI. New fundraisers ideas/thoughts:
Items to pass out at teaching opportunities - pens or magnet
Items to give to new registered voters - mirror hangers or magnet
Raise money for State event

VII. ArkGeo Phone list - no report


I. Jim Sick Resignation - accept resignation

II. Election of Officers
Vice President for remainder of this year - Morgan O’Neal
Next Years Board Officers:
Immediate Past President - Kent Uhrich
President - Morgan O’Neal
Vice President - Mark Willis
Secretary/Treasurer - Judy Vaughn
Web Master - Kevin Cackler

III. Getting members involved
Need Committee sign up form on the website and at event/merchandise table
Need an Event form on the website for members to suggest events to the Events Committee

IV. Events Committee - Sandy Fryar elected Board Liaison
The board will ask the Reviewer to not publish any ArkGeo Event if it is not listed under the ArkGeo account. The Events Committee must be involved in the planning of any ArkGeo event from the beginning for any event other than the Meet and Greets that the board members are responsible for in the different regions of the state.
Kent to talk to Kevin about designing a form for members to suggest events to the Events Committee.

V. February’s Semi Annual ArkGeo CITO.

Events Committee discussing ArkGeo’s involvement in this event.
Board waiting to hear back from the committee.

VI. Land Management Area Update
AG&F - Kent trying to contact
Core of Engineers -permit required for placing a geocache
Burns Park - permit required for placing a geocache

VII. Teaching Opportunities
Where else can we reach? Boy/girl scouts, EAST Labs, libraries

Next board meeting April 11, 2014
Following board meeting - July 11, 2014


02-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Looks good .

02-05-2014, 05:19 AM
Thanks, Judy!

02-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Looks Awesome! Thanks for all you do.

02-19-2014, 07:35 PM
I held a Poster Session at the Arkansas Library Association conference in Hot Springs if that could count as a teaching opportunity? Just throwing it out there in case. :). Any update on official hot dog roast event location?