PDA

View Full Version : St. George

SJClimber
02-21-2013, 08:31 AM
September is a long way off with many challenges to planning in between. Despite, September 7 there is the 2IEE mega event in St. George, UT which could be the beginning of a protracted caching project to the west. West of town are numerous examples of "geo-art;" kokopelli, the alien and spaceship, Rt 66 emblem, etc. And the ET and 66 runs. Any interest or thoughts?? :D Closest large airport is McCarran in Las Vegas. Accommodations?? Will investigate. Rv'ing in SG or Mesquite, NV.
September can still be hot in the desert. October (disregarding the event) may be cooler..

rklmbl
02-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Hmmmmm....looks like a nice road trip.

drmo913
02-22-2013, 06:38 AM
Interesting.
Might be interested.
Would love to hit all those caches!

Steal Your Cache
02-22-2013, 02:16 PM
you know i am in, there is a new caching mobile home base in our future! lets go RVing.

arkfiremedic
02-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Looks like fun. If work schedule allows I'd be in.

cfd29
02-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Sounds like a great road trip, I still want to go west on I-40 to Barstow, CA, Check out the trails just west of there, cache art , shuttle, RV Peace sign, and a lot of trails, then coming back to the east to Needles, the Rt 66,, close lodging and a LOT of caches,, dream trip

SJClimber
09-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Well, this was an okay event. The highlight though was a day of interaction and caching with RKLMBL. Such a wonderful treat for me to see these great people. Priceless...

rklmbl
09-08-2013, 03:57 PM
The priceless part was our spending the day and the evening before with sjclimber and Susan.

rklmbl
09-08-2013, 03:58 PM
We agree that the event was just okay.

cfd29
09-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Been watching you guys pictures, we stopped at the alien and spaceship when we came thru there Deb has some pictures somewhere, neat place!!

rklmbl
09-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Returning from a 9-State geocaching trip that we consider our best geo trip ever. It started when S.J.Climber mentioned a mega event in St. George, Utah. We met S.J. in St. George, attended three events, and cached two days together. Had a great time. Thanks, S.J., for the genesis of this trip. We saw a lot of new National Parks (new to us anyway) and state parks....some wonderful scenery and rock formations. Met a lot of nice people.

Then we spent two nights with "Lucy" in Colorado. Lucy knew a guide service and chef that provided out of this world service and accommodations. One day's highlight was a tour of the Red Rock pass area. We stopped at ghost towns and saw aspen beginning to color the area. The weather was good to us and were always a day ahead of the Utah floods in the area and far away from the bad Colorado floods. We did spend too much time on the Colorado River one day because of a tour boat motor that went "dead in the water" at the exact spot where Thema and Louisa flew over the cliff at the end of that movie. But, in the end, all passengers made it back to shore and we ended that day in Arches National Park, which is totally amazing. Some of our favorite stops were Zion National Park, Spotted Wolf Canyon on I-70 in Utah, Red Rock Pass in Colorado, Arches National Park in Moab, UT, the Grand Canyon, Shamrock, TX ;), and Sedona, AZ.

thefab5willisclan
09-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Returning from a 9-State geocaching trip that we consider our best geo trip ever. It started when S.J.Climber mentioned a mega event in St. George, Utah. We met S.J. in St. George, attended three events, and cached two days together. Had a great time. Thanks, S.J., for the genesis of this trip. We saw a lot of new National Parks (new to us anyway) and state parks....some wonderful scenery and rock formations. Met a lot of nice people.

Then we spent two nights with "Lucy" in Colorado. Lucy knew a guide service and chef that provided out of this world service and accommodations. One day's highlight was a tour of the Red Rock pass area. We stopped at ghost towns and saw aspen beginning to color the area. The weather was good to us and were always a day ahead of the floods in the area and far away from the bad Colorado floods. We did spend too much time on the Colorado River one day because of tour boat motor that went "dead in the water" at the exact spot where Thema and Louisa flew over the cliff at the end of that movie. But, in the end, all passengers made it back to shore and we ended that day in Arches National Park, which is totally amazing. Some of our favorite stops were Zion National Park, Spotted Wolf Canyon on I-70 in Utah, Red Rock Pass in Colorado, Arches National Park in Moab, UT, the Grand Canyon, and Shamrock, AZ ;). Sedona, AZ was beautiful and fun also.

Thank you SJ for giving us the incentive for this trip.

And thank you for sharing your story with the rest of us! I love reading about other Caching trips.