PDA

View Full Version : Game and Fish geocaches...

deltadawn
01-23-2005, 11:40 AM
I know the idea of caching on Arkansas Game and Fish property has been an item of ongoing discussion, but I wanted to bring up a new angle on the subject. I was doing some investigating and currently the AGFC has 7 caches listed on their website. Many of these caches are at fish hatcheries and wildlife education centers. Currently they sponsor 7 different caches througout the state. What I would like to propose, now that the AGA has an elected panel, maybe we could use this as an opportunity to approach them about listing their caches on GC.com. This could be a great opportunity to open an active line of communication and gain contacts within the Arkansas Game and Fish commision and also aid the AGFC in gaining more visitors to their caches. I would think that by the AGA simply approaching the AGFC and offering assisatance in listing their existing caches or suggesting they list their caches on GC.com, this could be a significant gesture of good will and a simple means of gaining useful intelligence with this state organization. If we merely approach them with a simple "helping hand" mentality and not look for a quid pro quo immediately, such as an open caching policy, it might gain us a little capital for the long run. I have also noticed that currently AGFC employees and family members CAN place caches on AGFC lands.
Please exuse me if this post has been discussed already, but I thought I would just offer some "brainstorming" ideas.

deltadawn
01-23-2005, 11:49 AM
current caches:

http://www.agfc.com/education/geocaching.html

Gaddiel
01-23-2005, 02:58 PM
This is something that I would like to see happen in Arkansas. You are right that this should be approached slowly. We may only get one shot at getting a policy created for AGFC. It would be nice if their first impression of geocachers is that we are environment-minded, helpful, and organized. They need to know that they can benefit from geocaching just as much as we can.

I, too, would like to see us start with some basic communication, just to let them know that we are here. If we are helpful and courteous from the beginning, they will probably open to suggestions from us.

By the way, this is one item that has been suggested to the committee by several members. I'd like to hear more suggestions regarding ways that we (ArkGeo) can establish a partnership with AGFC, as well as other state and local agencies.

deltadawn
01-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Yes, taking a slow-as-we-go approach would probably be the wisest method in dealing with the AGFC. Their first and foremost issue will be interference with hunters and hunting seasons since hunters provide their biggest source of financial support. There are often special hunts on AGFC lands that need special permits for individuals to even be on the property, but with all this being said, it isn't an impossible goal. I feel with the proper approach and comprimise on both sides an acceptable agreement could be had. I am also interested in what the overall agenda of our little AGA group will be for this year since there is now an elected panel/steering comittee. Maybe now is the time to make an agenda for the year? I know there has been talk about possible CITO efforts, this would be a great event to gain credibility and prove our environmental-friendly approach to our sport. Maybe invite some AGFC officials to a CITO event to see the "face" of geocaching. Just a couple of thoughts.

Gaddiel
01-24-2005, 09:52 AM
I am also interested in what the overall agenda of our little AGA group will be for this year since there is now an elected panel/steering comittee.

We haven't really had a formal meeting yet, as there have been a few other matters that have needed attention. As soon as we can come up with an agenda, we'll post it here. Good ideas! Keep 'em coming!

arkansas_stickerdude
01-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Does anyone know who we need to talk to?

Geezer_Veazey
01-24-2005, 10:59 PM
current caches:

http://www.agfc.com/education/geocaching.html

Hhmmmm...

One of the 7 caches that AGFC has listed is a virtual at Bell Slough Wildlive Management Area and Nature Trail. Gaddiel's cache "Does This Ring a Bell?" is in Bell Slough WMA. There was a DNF logged at the cache today. (The last find was Oct 17.) Could it be that AGFC has removed the cache? They are bound to have discovered it on GC.com since their own instructions say to check GC.com for "more lingo and simple rules of etiquette.

Pure speculation but it could very well be.

How about let's CITO the Bell Slough Nature Trail.

Gaddiel
01-25-2005, 09:32 AM
Gaddiel's cache "Does This Ring a Bell?" is in Bell Slough WMA. There was a DNF logged at the cache today. (The last find was Oct 17.) Could it be that AGFC has removed the cache? They are bound to have discovered it on GC.com since their own instructions say to check GC.com for "more lingo and simple rules of etiquette.

Very possible. Although we DID get permission to place this one, the person we talked to seemed a little confused by the concept of geocaching and may not have been in a management-type position. If we find it's not there, we might just pull this one for now...