PDA

View Full Version : Heads up for 2005 Cache In Trash Out Day

LadyEngineer
01-19-2005, 08:56 AM
GC has announce the 2005 CITO is April 16th. Now, what are we Arkansans going to do about it?

arkansas_stickerdude
01-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Lets clean up the NATURAL state.

Geezer_Veazey
01-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Perhaps some cachers can recall and recommend cache areas that were in particular need of a good clean-up. Teams could meet in the chosen areas on that day to CITO. The media may even be interested in covering it since it is in conjunction with national CITO day.

Are you listening, committee?

RuffRidr
01-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Perhaps some cachers can recall and recommend cache areas that were in particular need of a good clean-up. Teams could meet in the chosen areas on that day to CITO. The media may even be interested in covering it since it is in conjunction with national CITO day.

Very good idea. We could also cover a lot of ground by trying to make it to as many of our caches as we can, and clean up areas where we have placed caches. Would be a good time to do cache maintenance as well.

Are you listening, committee?

I'm pretty sure they are, as LadyEngineer started this thread, and arkansas_stickerdude was the first to respond.

Keep on cachin'
--RuffRidr

LadyEngineer
01-19-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm listening.

I know of a cache that was at a little road side park that was in dire need of cito and GV you know the cache I'm talking about. You took a very cool time delayed photo of an 18 wheeler passing that cache.

My question to the cachers of AR is what are you willing to do for that day? an adopt a highway, a park (or several), a camp ground, a walking trail

Do we want several little ones all over or one very big one? The cache I mentioned above only has about 20 parking places and would have to be a small project.

Check out this link to see what GC suggest: http://www.cacheintrashout.org/howto.aspx

We're listening.

LE

Gaddiel
01-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Great ideas! I know of an area near Conway that is a city park near a large lake that definitely needs some TLC.

This would be a great PR project for us and might make some inroads to local authorities, as well. I'm pretty sure that our city parks and Recreation department would be very pleased!

Seems like there might be better participation if we had several sites to choose from and then let cachers choose the site they would like to help with. Of course, this would complicate the coordination a bit, too. What do the rest of you think?

deltadawn
01-23-2005, 06:29 PM
How about getting the members of this site to agree upon 3-4 sites across the state where the majority of our members are located and temporarily "adopt" some parks or places for a weekend and do CITO caches there. Maybe we could make special caches where you have to collect a certain amount of trash before you get the final coordinates for the final cache. We could take pictures of all the trash accumilted in these places to use for later geocaching education efforts when approaching certain governmental agencies for approval of geocaching on public lands.

Team_LiquidCache
01-24-2005, 06:56 PM
While Team LiquidCache was out caching today we noticed that Reservoir Park could be a possible location for a CITO Event. There are three or four separate coordinate areas that are in need of CITO (more than just a couple of cachers can do). There are already three caches in the park and many locations for more. Plus they have a GREAT pavillion that we could use.

Clark~Griswold
01-24-2005, 09:04 PM
From what I remember, Reservoir Park would a get a vote from me also. I think we filled up two bags when we there. However, we would rather support an effort closer to Russellville. Maybe Spadra Creek Trails in Clarksville. The creek naturally deposits a lot of trash, plus there are at least a dozen caches there to attract support :P

arkansas_stickerdude
01-24-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm going to get with my contact at Devils Den and see if there is anywhere there that we could pickup? This way Fort Smith and Fayetteville cachers could join.

LadyEngineer
01-28-2005, 02:36 PM
My feeling on a CITO event this April is that it should be regional. Find 3 or 4 or even 5 locations that need our help. They could be city parks, national forest areas, state parks or road side medians. Most of us already CITO as were hunting, if we have the bags with us, so I'm not really thinking about places that have a lot of caches in them. Not saying that might not be an option but maybe a place that would be a good place if it were cleaned up. We only have 2 months to plan and some will say that is plenty and other will not. I was just hoping for ideas.

If you know of a park, wildlife area, or roadside please list them here so maybe we can start to narrow that list down to the ones everyone really wants to help clean up.

I'll start (remember I live in Cabot so I'm going to be suggesting places in the central area; all areas should have suggestions):

Burns Park
Riverfront Bike Trail
Botkinburg Rest Area on Hwy 65

Gaddiel
01-28-2005, 05:13 PM
I'll nominate a couple near Conway. One is Beaverfork Lake. I believe it's a city-owned park and could be scaled to a few or many helpers. We might want to also look at Toad Suck Park on the Arkansas River. This one is a Corps of Engineers park.

I'm not trying to push areas close to me, by any means. I am just more familiar with these parks since they are close to home...

thenaturenurd
01-28-2005, 08:47 PM
If anyone is interested you can come help cleanup my park. Highway 23 which goes through Withrow Springs is always lined with trash no matter how many times I get my maintenance crew to hit it. Anyone up my way that wants to help interested? I rotate weekends with the superintendent so I will have to check and see if that is my weekend to work. I dont think he will mind having some folks come and pick up trash at the park at all.

For those of you unfamiliar with my park it is called Withrow Springs State Park and is located in Madison County, AR. The park is 5 miles north of Huntsville, 30 minutes east of Fayetteville/Springdale and 30 minutes south of Eureka Springs.

Here is the park website if you want more information.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/park.asp?id=15

Craig

GEO
01-28-2005, 11:42 PM
I will get this one going again this year at least 4- 5 times.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fd2d400f-8081-495c-9a90-2a8d9877c21f

RuffRidr
01-29-2005, 09:49 AM
If anyone is interested you can come help cleanup my park. Highway 23 which goes through Withrow Springs is always lined with trash no matter how many times I get my maintenance crew to hit it. Anyone up my way that wants to help interested? I rotate weekends with the superintendent so I will have to check and see if that is my weekend to work. I dont think he will mind having some folks come and pick up trash at the park at all.

arparkguy,
I'd be interested in helping clean this park. I'm sure I could get a couple other cachers in the area to come too, especially if you made it a CITO event cache.

--RuffRidr

Team_LiquidCache
01-29-2005, 11:34 AM
I agree with Lady Engineer. 4 or 5 regional CITO events going on simultaneously would be the best way to go. Traveling is not that big of a deal to another part of our state, but having regional events would make more cachers likely to particiapate without having to travel 2 or 3 hours. Again Reservoir Park is in grave need of this event. Burns Park, only because they are so open to cachers, but really there's not a huge amount of CITO that needs to be done there. Also one of our early cache's that we found was around was the Central Arkansas Supply Depot near Cook's landing. That area had a tremendous amount of CITO needs along the paved path, but I am unsure if part of this area is private property.

Team_LiquidCache
01-29-2005, 09:30 PM
I was just looking around the groundspeak forums and under the heading of CITO is a topic called Official CITO 04 Photos, post them here (see link below), and they have some AMAZING pictures of different CITO events all over the country. Check it out if you have time and think about what we as Arkansans may be able to accomplish all over The Natural State.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=69366

walkingshadow
01-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Wow, I am impressed by the Team Liquidcaches link to the 04 citgo. We could do a lot of good with each region picking an area. I think reservoir park is in dire need and burns park also. I haven't been to cooks landing so I can't really comment on that location. Where would we make the most impact???? walkingshadow and red

thenaturenurd
01-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks to those that have shown interest in a Withrow Springs CITO...let me run it by my superintendent to make sure he is cool with that. I dont think he will care but I need to make sure. I need to make sure that I will be around for the event as well since we trade weekends. This will be my first CITO how long do these things usually last? I think I will shoot for 9-11:30AM? Any objections?

post here, send me a pm or an email if you have further comments or questions...I will be out of the park most of this week for training so it may take a bit for me to respond.

Craig

ps - If my boss approves the CITO I will submit it to geocaching.com tomorrow. Look for it.

Gaddiel
01-30-2005, 08:03 PM
As more of us from ArkGeo create CITO events across the state, it would be nice to mention that there are other CITO events going on in Arkansas and include a link to the ArkGeo site for a complete list. That way, if someone sees your event, but can't attend because of a distance problem, maybe they could at least find out about the other sites. I could post a story on the home page if you all think this is a good idea... Just a suggestion.

How many of you are interested in hosting a CITO event near you? Basically, I guess this would just involve showing up at the site to sort of coordinate the cleanup.

rock_hound
01-31-2005, 08:53 PM
For those of you unfamiliar with my park it is called Withrow Springs State Park and is located in Madison County, AR. The park is 5 miles north of Huntsville, 30 minutes east of Fayetteville/Springdale and 30 minutes south of Eureka Springs.

Here is the park website if you want more information.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/park.asp?id=15

Craig

I would definately be interested in a Withrow Springs CITO. I have never been to this park. Arparkguy do you have some caches in the park?

thenaturenurd
02-01-2005, 08:41 PM
I have passed on the CITO info to the park superintendent and he is looking it over then it will go up the chain to be approved by Little Rock. So I hope to post the event soon.

To answer your question rockhound I have 3 caches I have placed. Two are at Withrow and one is south of Huntsville right off highway 23.

Im out of the park till thursday so I may be slow to respond. Anyways I will keep everyone posted about my CITO event at Withrow.

LadyEngineer
02-02-2005, 07:43 AM
Well, it sounds like we have one site picked in the NW part of the state. What about the central, SW, NE and SE?

I'm game for anywhere. BeaverFork, Riverfront, Burns Park, Maumelle Park. Does anyone have a contact at any of the mention possibilities for Central?

Team_LiquidCache
02-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Team LiquidCache would like to nominate Reservoir Park. We would be agreeable to wherever the group decides though! :D

SJClimber
02-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Ditto on Reservoir Park. Being selfish though since it is close, but it does need help.

Phantom_491
02-02-2005, 11:33 PM
I would like to nominate the Battle for Reeds Springs Historical Site in Jacksonville. Most of the area is fine, but there are some trouble spots towards the back of the site.

thenaturenurd
02-08-2005, 10:15 AM
I had a discussion with my superintendent today. He loves the idea of a CITO event here at the park. I am presently writing up what I would place on the geocaching site and if he likes it I will post it on the website sometime this week. I might even post today if approved and I have the time. Im excited about this very much!

Once I get the event posted I will put a link to it here.

Craig

thenaturenurd
02-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Ok cache has been approved...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... b5f690f1f8 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8706a3c9-9e5f-442b-9180-80b5f690f1f8)

Watch this link for further details.

Y'all come see us y'hear!

Craig

idratherbehiking
02-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Reservoir park is a good one to clean up. It gets a lot of use. The last time I was there, a couple of weeks ago, someone had spray painted some really vulgar stuff all over the place and there was trash scattered everywhere. I was just out at Cook's Landing today and it is really clean. So I think Reservoir Park should be the place.

thenaturenurd
03-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Ok not to brag...I have the one and only CITO event listed on GC.com for Arkansas. If you need a place to come do a CITO...we'd be glad to have you. Drop me an email or call the park and ask for me for more details.

Here's a link...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8706a3c9-9e5f-442b-9180-80b5f690f1f8

Hope to see y'all there...

Craig

walkingshadow
03-20-2005, 06:46 PM
I was planning to post a local event but Red and I have a flyball tournament that weekend in Springfield, Ill and wont be able to participate. I had bought 20 CITO bags for the event but won't be able to use them. Anyone want them let me know.

Walkingshadow and Red

Gaddiel
03-25-2005, 08:06 AM
We are a little late getting around to it, but we will be hosting a CITO event, along with Team Rock Hound and grassgobbler at Beaverfork Lake. We plan to have some CITO t-shirts to give away, provided by GreenWorks Lawn Care.

If you are in the central Arkansas area, come on out and join the fun!!! We are planning to release some new caches in Conway and around Beaverfork Lake for the event. Here's the link:

Conway, Arkansas CITO (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9de0868d-6cb6-4543-b47e-aec7c88a398c)

By the way, if you will be hosting a CITO event in Arkansas for CITO day, let me know. I'll post a list on the home page...

thenaturenurd
03-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Gaddiel,

Of course you know we have a CITO going at withrow on April 16th

Here is the link Withrow Springs State Park CITO (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8706a3c9-9e5f-442b-9180-80b5f690f1f8)

Thanks,

Craig

thenaturenurd
04-11-2005, 04:01 AM
If anyone is looking for a CITO event to attend come to Withrow Springs State Park on Saturday 16th at 9am!

See link in above post or on homepage for more info.

I will be out of town till probably Thursday night so if you have questions...drop me a line but dont expect a response till later this week.

Hope to see you Saturday!!!

Craig

Gaddiel
04-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Just an update on the CITO event at Beaverfork Lake near Conway: We now have at least SEVEN new caches that will be going live some time before the event on Saturday! If you're looking for something to do this weekend in Central Arkansas, this should be a lot of fun, and it looks like the weather will be perfect. Here is the link to the cache page:

Conway, Arkansas CITO (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9de0868d-6cb6-4543-b47e-aec7c88a398c)

See you there at 9:00!

Wayne

thenaturenurd
04-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks to all who showed up today to help CITO at Withrow Springs State Park. I hope you guys had fun. I enjoyed meeting y'all. Look for more CITO events here soon. Id say this one was a smashing success.

Craig

Woodwalker9
04-16-2005, 09:46 PM
If you missed the CITO event at Beaverfork Lake in Conway today, you missed out on a great time. G&OD, TeamRockHound, Grassgobbler, and everyone involved did an outstanding job in planning and organizing this event and should be commended for all their hard work. It is a pleasure for me to be associated with such a great group. I'm already looking forward to next year's event at Wooly Hollow State Park. Thanks guys.

Woodwalker

Gaddiel
04-16-2005, 10:34 PM
All the credit for the success goes to the ones who showed up to do the work! It was amazing to me that we had over 30 people show up on a beautiful Saturday morning (prime time for leisure activities) to help us pick up trash. You guys did a great job, and we appreciate it.

Team Rock Hound and grassgobbler, specifically, did a fantastic job of contributing time and money to make this event a success. Thanks, guys!

If you missed it, you can still check out the pictures and comments from the event here:

cachecrazies
04-17-2005, 07:33 PM
And what Wayne didn't say is:

This event was part of an article in today's Log Cabin Democrat! Good job Wayne! More & more notice is taken of geocaching in a positive way!

We also had a great time at the Conway CITO - the park was beautiful and we were glad to help clean it up a little bit , although it wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of them we've seen!

Needless to say, we also had a terrific time finding the Conway caches but Gaddiel & Orange Danish and Team RockHounds are leaning towards the devious, evil sort of hides that have you gnashing your teeth and picking up the cell phone for help!

Thanks also to grassgobbler and Catspower for all your EXTRAS! Everything was greatly appreciated!

We'll look forward to future events.

rock_hound
04-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all of the compliments. Personally, I had a great time putting this together and hiding all the new caches. It seems like both of Arkansas' CITO events went really well. However, we need more events. For all those thinking about doing an event, what are waiting for? Talk to Gaddiel or arparkguy if don't think anyone will show..... They will come!

thenaturenurd
04-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks rockhound for your kind words. I didnt have a big crowd at my event. Only 8 people including myself, but thats better than 0. Chances are good if you put a CITO event on at a location people will show up to help.

Generally speaking, most geocachers are not just concerned with just finding caches to up their numbers...they genuinely care about the environment. My park is small and tucked away in the Ozark Mtns. We definitely can use all the volunteers we can get. Thanks to everyone who showed once again. I will probably be putting some more events on throughout the year. Watch for them!

Craig

arkansas_stickerdude
04-20-2005, 07:30 AM
I wish I could have made it to atleast one of the CITO's but I was out of state visiting the "IN-LAWS" and you know how much fun that was. I would have rather picked up trash.

Geezer_Veazey
04-20-2005, 09:50 AM
I would have rather picked up trash.
Be nice, stickerdude!

On second thought, don't just be nice - Change your way of thinking! Think of everything your wife means to you and give your inlaws credit for giving you such a helpmate.

arkansas_stickerdude
04-21-2005, 07:44 AM
[quote="arkansas_stickerdude":10nqz1rn]I would have rather picked up trash.
Be nice, stickerdude!

On second thought, don't just be nice - Change your way of thinking! Think of everything your wife means to you and give your inlaws credit for giving you such a helpmate.[/quote:10nqz1rn]

The good thing is she does not like going up there either her sisters are black sheep. I got the only good one out of 3. By the way I do LOVE my wife on July 1st we will have been married 10 YEARS, I hear after the first 10 its all down hill. There are many more years to come she is 28 and I'm only 32 so we hope to have a LOOOOOOOONG life together. hahahahahahahahahahaha.

arkansas_stickerdude
04-21-2005, 07:46 AM
She was also up set that we missed the CITO Day the boys were also they had so much fun last year.