PDA

View Full Version : Good times

perm74
08-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Summer bug spray to ward off chiggers/ticks...15 dollars
Multiple trips to the dr's office for a shot for poison ivy...40 dollars
Summer filled fun of geocaching and 400 finds with friends...priceless!!

Jffok
08-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Taking all precautions all summer. Bug spray, avoiding posion plants, poking around with a stick and not your hands.
Finding a copperhead after making a wrong decision. No stick. Learning experience--priceless. Medical expenses still rising.
To all geocachers .. don't stick your hand where you can't see.

Flyfishingcachers
08-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Jffok, I take it you got bit. How bad is it? Hope you are ok! I always have that fear!!

Ashallond
08-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Taking all precautions all summer. Bug spray, avoiding posion plants, poking around with a stick and not your hands.
Finding a copperhead after making a wrong decision. No stick. Learning experience--priceless. Medical expenses still rising.
To all geocachers .. don't stick your hand where you can't see.

!!!!!!! oh my. when did this happen?

Jffok
08-22-2011, 05:01 AM
Yes I got bit by a nasty little Copperhead on Friday evening at Ft. Chaffee. Pretty scary for awhile but on the mend now. The report at the ER was that a lot more people have been bitten this summer than any other summer. Wonder if the hot dry weather has anything to do with that. I will defintely be more careful in the future. It only takes a second.

jclaudii
08-22-2011, 12:24 PM
I lifted one up out in the forest service the other day after looking around and in and when I pulled it out there was a snakeskin under it. I bet the ammo cans hold the cool a bit better than most other things around so they like to lye under them. just a guess though. Hope you make a fast recovery.

Ashallond
08-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes I got bit by a nasty little Copperhead on Friday evening at Ft. Chaffee. Pretty scary for awhile but on the mend now. The report at the ER was that a lot more people have been bitten this summer than any other summer. Wonder if the hot dry weather has anything to do with that. I will defintely be more careful in the future. It only takes a second.

and Yazzman was wondering why i haven't been going out after the Chaffee ones until it gets cold..... I can add snakes to the horde of ticks out there this summer!

arkfiremedic
08-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Yes I got bit by a nasty little Copperhead on Friday evening at Ft. Chaffee. Pretty scary for awhile but on the mend now. The report at the ER was that a lot more people have been bitten this summer than any other summer. Wonder if the hot dry weather has anything to do with that. I will defintely be more careful in the future. It only takes a second.Glad you are okay Judy. Hope to see you back on the trail soon.

Jffok
08-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Hope to see all you guys at the 5000 Club event in Russellville next month. Thanks for the good wishes. I am pretty much back to normal now.

OldRiverRunner
08-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Judy,

First of all, let me say that I am really sorry that you got bit! :shock:

Second, I am really glad that you are much better and on the mend! :D

But, finally, I just want to know .... DID YOU FIND THE CACHE AND GET THE SMILEY???? :???:

Jffok
08-24-2011, 08:55 AM
YES ORR I GOT THE LOG SIGNED. I went back with my stick and raked trying to find the snake and raked the cache out. Like I should have done to start with. Signed the log and then replaced cache back under log. (With the stick). Then to ER.
But I do want to say that with precautions this should never stop anyone from geocaching. I have already gotten back out there in the rough. According to stats more people get bitten in the own yards than they do out in the woods.

OldRiverRunner
08-24-2011, 06:30 PM
YES ORR I GOT THE LOG SIGNED. I went back with my stick and raked trying to find the snake and raked the cache out. Like I should have done to start with. Signed the log and then replaced cache back under log. (With the stick). Then to ER.

WOW! 8-O :roll: :D Now THAT is dedication to the game! Way to go, Judy!

"Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snake, shall keep you from claiming your find!"

Ashallond
08-24-2011, 08:38 PM
um...Judy, what cache was this?

Jffok
08-26-2011, 10:14 AM
new trail at chaffee.

perm74
09-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Add another trip to the doctor for a steroid shot... poison ivy again... I am getting the yerly shot after I get rid of it this time.

cfd29
09-25-2011, 12:33 PM
I can sympathize with you on the poison ivy, we got in some earlier in the year and tried to tuff it out but ended up getting a shot, I go way around it now..

thefab5willisclan
09-25-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm one of the lucky few that can rub poison ivy and oak on my skin with no reaction. My wife on the other hand is very allergic. She can look at it and break out. O.K. maybe not that bad. On the other hand snakes scare the shidoodoo out of me. One look and I get the heebeejeebees. Found one under a log yesterday at "evil green" in cabot. I almost quit looking for the cache and went home crying to momma, but I pulled myself together for the smiley.