PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching Weekend at Pinnacle Mountain State Park

OldRiverRunner
08-06-2011, 07:16 PM
I just learned that Pinnacle Mountain State Park is planning a "Geocaching Weekend (http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/events/geocaching-weekend-64532/)" on August 27 -28. Does anyone know anything about this and have any details to share? Has ArkGeo been contacted to support the activities?

OldRiverRunner
08-10-2011, 08:04 PM
So no one has heard anything about this? From the crickets I hear chirping, I guess that is the case. I am surprised that the Community Relations Committee isn't jumping on this to see if ArkGeo can help out!

Ashallond
08-10-2011, 10:19 PM
I know that GC2VMMN at Lake Poinsett State Park was arranged by a park ranger who has an account and has done some geocaching, but I hadn't heard anything about this. Looks to be fun. Who's the SP geocache maintainer? that would be an awesome way to see what rangers are taking geocaching seriously.

cfd29
08-11-2011, 12:39 PM
I had not heard about it until I saw your post, I do see it is on the Park's schedule of events, doesn't appear to be a published "event" just a park activity, we are already committed to the event in Smackover that weekend or we would try to go, sounds like it is for beginners, but, that is what we need, get more people interested in Geocaching !!

MathSeeker
08-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I am the person that maintains the Pinnacle Mountain State Park cache, but we have already committed to going to the Fired Up for Geocaching event in Smackover that weekend. The geocaching weekend activity is listed on Pinnacle Mountain State Park website. The following is from their website.

August 27, 2011 - August 28, 2011
Geocaching Weekend Pinnacle Mountain State Park (http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/pinnaclemountain)

Little Rock
http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/images/maps/counties/apt_map_pulaski.gif (http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/park-finder/map-directions.aspx?id=3)

Let us immerse you and your family into the world of geocaching. Throughout the weekend, our scheduled programs and activities will be designed to help you learn about Arkansas State Park’s geocache tour and geocaches found right in our park. This is a great weekend for introducing geocaching to people who are interested, but don’t know how to get started. Contact the park for more information.

Admission: TBA

Pinnacle Mountain State Park
11901 Pinnacle Valley Road
Little Rock, AR 72223
Ph: (501) 868-5806
pinnaclemountain@arkansas.com

OldRiverRunner
08-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Judy, the information you provided could have been accessed by clicking on the link I provided in my first posting. I don't think that you, as the ParkCache volunteer, should be expected to be involved in any geocaching event put on by the state park. You (nor any other ParkCache volunteer) didn't sign up for that and it is not part of your responsibilities.

The reason I started this thread was because I wanted to see if anyone else had more information about the weekend activities than what was stated on the website (which was pretty lacking, IMHO). I thought maybe others might have attended this event last year and could share their experiences. I also wanted to see if ArkGeo might be involved in any way, and my question on that point has been answered by the responses here (i.e., no involvement). I believe it is a missed opportunity that ArkGeo might want to look into and perhaps help with next year's event.

I have emailed Joe Jacobs, with the State Parks, asking him for information, but he has not responded. I will try the email address for Pinnacle.

DaTexanBoy
08-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Might be something to look into myself.

drmo913
08-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Interesting Thread. It raises some questions in my mind that I would like to put forth:

Why are the rangers not part of ArkGeo? Have we invited them? If the ranger who is hosting the event has an account with Geocaching.com, why is it not a listed GC event on the website? Is it allowable within the event cache guidelines?

If true "newbies" to geocaching go to the event, their very first cache find could be an event cache! I think that would be pretty cool! It would also let the Arkansas "seasoned" geocaching community be invited as mentors to new cachers.

Thoughts?

Ashallond
08-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Interesting Thread. It raises some questions in my mind that I would like to put forth:

Why are the rangers not part of ArkGeo? Have we invited them? If the ranger who is hosting the event has an account with Geocaching.com, why is it not a listed GC event on the website? Is it allowable within the event cache guidelines?

Thoughts?

Now these are VERY good questions.....

butch724
08-26-2011, 12:00 PM
I called the park manager or what ever you call him. The people doing this don't have a cache account. They have a "CITO" sunday but they don't want to list it as an event? Or can't with no account? I offered to do it but they did'n want to list it. They are doing this to "draw people to the park". Sounds like they have been misdirected or something. Listing it sounds like it might draw more people? Just my $.02.

ronwhite
08-26-2011, 12:17 PM
You know, that is a little unnerving. It will be a shame if they get some folks there that really are interested in geocaching and whomever is leading this knows nothing about the sport and disenfranchises the participants. Sure wish we knew who was doing this!!!

Ashallond
08-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Again, why haven't the parks been approached (as time would permit by members speaking on authority from the board) about assisting with geocaching, and getting the park rangers to have access to this board to get in touch with the tons of resources on here?

May I submit this as an idea to be discussed at the next board meeting?

drmo913
08-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Again, why haven't the parks been approached (as time would permit by members speaking on authority from the board) about assisting with geocaching, and getting the park rangers to have access to this board to get in touch with the tons of resources on here?

May I submit this as an idea to be discussed at the next board meeting?

I think it sounds like a great idea. I realize there are different sites to be used for geocaching besides geocaching.com, but it would be nice if they directed the people to it!

Another thought-didn't ArkGeo start so we would be able to work with the parks? It seems interesting that the parks and the park rangers aren't keeping us informed. It feels as if we are failing are first mission.

There has to be something more we could do!