View Full Version : Need help from Geocachers

07-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi folks,

My name is Adam Webb (justthieves on gc.com). Haven't been on here for a while, but I come to you all in an hour of desperation. I work with teens here in Garland County and as part of summer educational programs this week, we launched a weather balloon space capsule that had a GPS tracking phone on it and a camera that would take pics from near space. We lost contact with the balloon for a while, but it showed back up on its way down near Cherry Hill. Its last known coordinates were N 34.63078 W 93.97095, but we lost signal again with about 1 minute left of its flight. If my assumptions are correct about its trajectory, it landed somewhere on a line between N 34.636915 W 93.977058 and the previously mentioned coordinates. This puts it in the Ouachita National Forest off Polk Rd 688.

While it is not a cache, you are the only group I can think of that use GPS and like stomping around in the woods. If any of you are in the Mena or Mount Ida area, I would greatly appreciate any help in locating this. I went out for a few hours today, but to no avail. It is a styrofoam cooler with neon orange duct tape wrapped around it and it should be attached to a parachute. It might be in a tree, it might be on the ground, I just don't know.

I am offering a $50 cash reward for the person who locates it. If you find it, it has my phone number on it and in it, or you can message me on here.

07-21-2011, 06:27 PM
We were JUST in Mena, too. I will pass this along to my brother in law. Not sure if he's planning on visiting there soon or not, but I will let him know.

07-21-2011, 09:52 PM
This is Roswell all over again

07-21-2011, 10:57 PM
You know, this is the third balloon that has drifted into Arkansas in the last 18-20 months. We should make a forum for all the balloonists (trust me, i'd love to launch one myself, but I don't have the stuff nor the money to get the stuff)

07-23-2011, 07:50 AM
We are going up that way this weekend.... We will see what we can spot.

07-29-2011, 11:47 AM
What an awesome FTF prize :) I mentioned it to a fellow cacher in that area!