PDA

View Full Version : Do you log your dnf's

Jffok
05-07-2011, 06:37 PM
I sometimes log my dnf's but other times I just don't take the time. I made a trip to Louisanna and grabbed a few caches along I-49. At one unpopulated exit there were 3 caches. Mickey #1, Mickey #2, and Mickey #3. We could never find #1 but went on and found 2 & 3. When logging I logged a dnf on the one we didn't find. Here is a copy of the email I recieved from the cache owner today. Thought it was a good story to pass on.

Greetings, fellow geocacher,

RE: the missing Hidden Mickey Trail #1 in Shreveport, LA

Got a humorous story for you: my wife and I went out to check on Hidden Mickey
#1 after you reported it missing and indeed the container was not in its
original hiding spot. Turns out it was found by some muggles, who for mistook
it for something bad! They thought the toys in the container were meant to lure
children to the place! They said they saw someone in a red truck looking around
which also made them curious. So they hid the container about 50 feet from the
original spot. They returned today to show the container to a friend and that's
when we ran into them. The friend asked if we were on a scavenger hunt, and we
told her about geocaching. May have created a new fan of the sport! Anyway
they showed us where the container was and Hidden Mickey Trail #1 is up and
running again.

Happy caching,

kcackler
05-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't. Personally, I want to hear about ALL searches for our caches, found or not. I try to do the same for others as well.

rklmbl
05-08-2011, 05:17 AM
We log a high percentage of our DNFs in a timely manner. Sometimes we just get mixed up on our log book and forget to write them down. The reason we emphasize "timely manner" is a cache may have several visits if we delay logging and we believe timely logging may possibly help the cache owner and other cachers that may follow us. When we pull a PQ out of state, we eliminate all caches in GSAK where the last two or more hunts were DNFs.

cfd29
05-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I always try to, If we don't find it, it was a DNF, so we log it, like rklmbl said, it really helps others to know that someone else didn't find it, so maybe it's missing.

geofinder24
05-08-2011, 10:56 PM
When I started 'caching I didn't really see the point. Not only that, I didn't want to seem like I didn't know what I was doing, because at first I wasn't finding them on the first try. After a while I realized that logging DNF's had it's advantages. For one, it lets the CO know that someone was interested in what they had taken the time to hide. Second, it helped to figure out if a cache was missing due to multiple DNF's. I also found that logging DNF's was a good way for me to remember that I had looked for it before and couldn't find it the first time. So from now on, if I look for a cache, I'm gonna log it no matter if I find it or not.

Gaddiel
05-09-2011, 05:06 AM
We try to always log our DNFs, for the same reasons others have mentioned.

Ashallond
05-10-2011, 03:37 PM
I log them. They sit there, staring at me...taunting me until they get archived, replaced, or I go back and turn that frown upside down.

specialteacher
05-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I sometimes log DNF's but only after I have searched and feel like that it really isn't there. I also, when caching out of state or far from home will delete those with multiple DNF's from my GSAK file before sending to the GPS, for that reason I do get angry when I see a DNF logged with a note like " to many muggles in the area so we didn't get to search" or "it started to rain as we got to ground zero so will have to come back some other time to look"------these are fine to be posted as a note but in my opinion they are not DNF's. To me a DNF is when you searched and searched and you feel that it is really not there otherwise log a note about your visit. How do others feel about this??????????

geofinder24
05-10-2011, 07:23 PM
I feel a DNF is for when you look, and you don't find it. Just because you didn't find it doesn't mean someone else won't. People think differently and I may not think to look in places that someone else might think of. Logging a DNF on a cache also might give the owner a little smile knowing they placed a challenging cache. If all caches were easy to find, to me, that would get boring real quick.

Night_Hiker
05-11-2011, 12:45 PM
It depends really if its a great spot thats worthy of a story ill leave a DNF or if you miss one in a trail that has 5 and one is not posted as found then obviously u didn't find it, so ill log ones like that. I dont really bother with micros tho in normal spots. Plus some places i plan to revisit and eventually get the smiley

OldRiverRunner
05-12-2011, 06:59 AM
I try to log DNF's on every cache I "do not find" and it doesn't necessarily mean that I think the cache is missing. It means, I gave it a good search and couldn't find it. If I really think it is missing, then I state that in my log. If I look and have to cut my search short for some reason (muggles, weather, etc.), I will log the DNF. The key here is that I have to started my search. If I arrive at the site and decide not to look (for the reasons stated above), then I will just post a note. If I look for a cache, don't find it, but return later that same day and find it, then I will not log a DNF for my first attempt. I will just state in my Found It log that it took me more than one try that day.

As a cache owner, DNF logs and other notes are GREAT feedback about the cache. First of all, they tell me someone is looking for it. I have some caches that I was going to archive because they had not been found in a while and no one had posted a DNF or note against the cache, so I assumed that no one was looking for them. Then, someone would tell me at an event that they had looked for one of these caches and couldn't find it, and not to archive it! So feedback from searchers is very, very good! DNF's are also a good indicator that the cache may be missing. If I get a number of DNF's in a row, it tells me that something may be wrong and that I need to check on my cache.

I really think that many cachers, whether they will admit it or not, feel that a DNF log is a sign of failure and a "bad mark" against them that they aren't good geocachers. Everyone needs to get past this and realize that even the most experienced geocachers can have a bad day of geocaching and experience a lot of DNF's! Personally, I have struggled with some caches that newbies spotted right away!:( We all have those days! :)

drmo913
05-20-2011, 05:41 PM
One should ALWAYS log your DNF's. Our very own Gingerose has a number of challenge caches "placed" here in Arkansas. One of which is: "100 DNFs- Challenge Central" (http://coord.info/GC23AQR).

Then there is also the D.N.F. Challenge Cache (http://coord.info/GC1MCEK).

I say log the Frown's for the Smile's!

SunnyArkfam
06-08-2011, 07:59 PM
When we first started I logged a lot of DNFs and sincerely thought it wasn't there, when really we hadn't got the hang of looking. 1st month I cached I logged 7 DNFs, 2nd month 9 DNFs, 3rd month 2, 4th 6, 5th 3. I want the owner to know if it might not be there. And I don't want to waste my time looking if it's gone, so I hope others will post their DNFs. As a cache owner, I appreciate DNFs to alert me when I need to go do maintenance.

DaTexanBoy
06-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I started out by not logging them but havent gotten to the point where I log everything, and I do mean everything.

Coon&Bud
06-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Yes I do I am the River Valley's "King of DNF'S" I am blind in one eye so I have said more than once..don't get offended if I don't find your cache. I talked to my best friend my wife about this. She suggested it is because I am a musician. I have a short attention span..I move on quickly. She maybe right but I do try to look at least 5-10 minutes before giving up. I have way over DNF's...3 just a few days ago. Coon&bud

captaincooder
06-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Of course I log my DNF's! Like ORR said, it provides vital information to the CO. It is also helpful to me the next time I look for the cache. I can review my notes to better help me find it the next time. And Coon&Bud... I dunno, I might be the King of DNF's. We should compare data. I have 2,639 finds and 495 DNF's.

pshelto
06-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I log DNFs based on whether I think the cache is still there. Many times, I just give up and move on (P&Gs, boring cache locations, etc). For these I don't log DNFs. If I search high and low and I'm pretty confident I know where it is supposed to be, I will log a DNF. Also, if I'm in a location for a short time (couple of days) log DNFs so the owner can verify if the cache is there before I leave.

Jffok
06-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Specialteacher I agree with you on being helpful and also just as entertaining as a found log. I check out my hides after I get a couple of DNF's on one.