PDA

View Full Version : Location for Geowoostock 2012?

Spice
05-04-2011, 02:46 PM
My family and I attended GeoWoodstock VII in Bell Buckle, TN in 2009 and had hoped to attend again, but things have not worked out for it this year or last year. We do hope that GeoWoodstock X is closer to home, but of course they won't officially announce next years location until the end of GeoWoodstock IX.

However, I think I may have narrowed down the location...

GeoWoodstock I was held in Louisville, KY and I think it will return to a location near there for the 10th Anniversary.

I also found this:

http://www.lookupbook.com/directory/advertising-and-marketing/in/clarksville/geowoodstock-x-llc

It appears that it is a listing for a Limited Liability Company (LLC) called GeoWoodstock X. The address is in Clarksville, Indiana which is the listed home town on Facebook for Wcnut (Chuck Williams) and also near Louisville, KY.

I'm not sure what all Wcnut has done but at one point he had been to every GeoWoodstock.

I guess only time will tell if I am right.

topkitty98
05-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Awesome, David, maybe just maybe we could actually go to one!

Logistics wise - that would also be between this year's location and last.

Ashallond
05-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Wife has family in Louisville. Might actually be able to persuade her to let me go to this one...

idratherbehiking
05-04-2011, 10:22 PM
That would be great if it is that close. I will start begging now.

Jffok
05-07-2011, 08:16 AM
I don't know how far along the planning is but the Tulsa area/Oklahoma City area cachers have submitted an application to host the event in 2012/2013/2014. They don't know if they will be accepted or if so which year they will be accepted for.

cfd29
05-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Well, we have family in Louisville, so that will be great, that is a little over 9hrs from here, of course Tulsa area is even closer, I'm sure 2012 has already been awarded, and will be announced at GW9, 2013 and 2014 are in consideration, a lot of advanced planning has to go into such a large event, but they sure are fun, gives us the location where we are going on vacation that year!

Spice
07-02-2011, 10:25 PM
GeoWoodstock X will be in Sellersberg, IN which is next to Clarksville, IN and across the state line from Louisville, KY. Guess I should start investigating GeoWoodstock XI and see if I can narrow that one down in advance.

My family and I are going to try and make GWX.

DaTexanBoy
07-03-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm with you. I told my wife that we are taking a family vacation in Indiana next year. :)

Ashallond
07-03-2011, 09:23 AM
I;m currently in Bardstown (25 minutes south of Bardstown) If I can get a day away, I'll scout the field (and hit the caches all in the city)

GC2X6ZV

you can go ahead and register an account as well.

www.geowoodstock.com

Ashallond
07-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I was up in the area yesterday and left a note.

(picture included!)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=220956bb-ed8d-456a-9831-350347fb4011

topkitty98
07-09-2011, 02:19 PM
I've laid the groundwork with the other half of my family to actually attend this one! Of course, he will probably stay in the hotel on the event day - doesn't do crowds, in case ya'll hadn't figured that out.

cfd29
07-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Geowoodstock X is only 10hrs from western Arkansas, there are many, I mean MANY caches in that area, both urban and out in the forest on trails caches, what every you might want. There is a lot to do and see in the area also, on the way up there (interstate 65) provides quite a few caches and things to see, if you like cars, the Corvette Museum is at Bowling Green right off the interstate, right behind that is the Cache Across America-Kentucky cache, also across the street from the Museum is the Corvette Factory, where all Corvettes are built, they offer tours, you need to schedule a little ahead of time, there is the Kentucky Stonehenge at Munsfordville, also there is Mammoth Cave, several earth caches in that area, there is the Kentucky Bourbon trail (several caches along the hwy) that goes by several bourbon distilleries and most offer tours. Of course there is Fort Knox, you can't see the gold but you will drive right by the gold depository on hwy 31, if you like military history, there is the Patton Museum of armory that is really nice. Elizabethtown has many caches , not far away, near Hodgenville, is the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace, that is a great place to see. That is all before you get to Louisville that offers hundreds upon hundreds of caches, many museums, Louisville Slugger factory and tour where the bats are made, Churchill Downs, they offer tours also, many virtuals and caches you can walk to in downtown, across the river in Clarksville, along the Ohio river there is at least a dozen earth caches, and many more regular in Jeffersonville and on up to Sellersburg. In short, there is a lot to do and see in that area if anyone is thinking of going to Geowoodstock X next year. There should be lots of lodging both on the Kentucky side and the Indiana side. I don't mean to sound like a tourist guide but we have been there several times and still haven't seen everything we would like to see..

idratherbehiking
07-17-2011, 04:34 PM
I have already confirmed it with my wife that I will be going. The ArkGeo Event is the weekend after so I might just take off the whole week and spend a couple of extra days in the Lousville area before heading home. Sounds like there is plenty of stuff to do along the way.
I have been wanting to attend one and just have not had the chance yet. The only close one in the last few years was in Bell Buckle, TN but I think I would have been in big trouble if I had missed my son's high school graduation to go geocaching.
I'll probably be camping to save some cash. Looking forward to it.

cfd29
07-17-2011, 04:50 PM
They haven't said yet, but I am sure they will have camping there or around the park, I forgot to mention, the next day, Sun the 27th is the Indy 500 if anyone can get tickets!

Ashallond
07-18-2011, 09:15 PM
cfd, I also have been up in Louisville a lot and the Falls of the Ohio Earthcaches are fascinating. I still have half of them to get to because they are on an island IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RIVER! in the fall you can walk across the Ohio river because of a dam that closes half of the river due to short water, but I haven't been there when that happens. Bardstown is fun as it's where the Old Kentucky Home is at (look at the KY quarter from a few years ago) and the Stephen Foster musical (oh, did I mention 3 distilleries within 20 miles ? (Jim Beam, Heaven Hill and Makers Mark?)

Honestly, this last trip I took I went up and cleared out most of Sellersburg so that I'd be able to spend my time at GWX, and not want to go wander around and get a cache here or there.

I'll aos post this again, they already have the website up where you can go ahead and make an account for info and it is where you'll register and all that good stuff.

http://www.geowoodstock.com

likestocanoe
07-19-2011, 09:31 AM
I am putting this one on the calendar now, hope it stay there and we can make it.

Flyfishingcachers
07-19-2011, 09:04 PM
We are going to try also to attend. Already have room reservation. Hope we can keep it and attend!!

ronwhite
07-20-2011, 09:55 PM
where did you make your reservations at????

topkitty98
07-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Ron, I was just about to ask that myself!

cfd29
07-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Ashallond, you are right!! The bourbon tours are great, they give samples too!!!!! I have not been there to get the earth caches that are in the river, but there are several you can get near the visitor center there. I think we will have a good Arkansas representation at GW X..
The traffic gets crazy sometimes on I-65 but if you get there early, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Flyfishingcachers
07-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Made reversations at Comfort Inn at Sellersburg, IN. Looks to be 1.5 miles from event. Hope it is a good hotel!

Ashallond
07-21-2011, 09:55 PM
what it looks like I may have to do is get someone (there's a few people in the Fort discussing driving) to drive my tent and sleeping bag out as i'll have to be in class until Friday, and catch a flight out right after school to get to the friday events. My wife and daughter would follow in a car later and pick me up on Sunday probably for our usual summer vacation in Bardstown.

Must continue to plan this one out.

ronwhite
07-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Just made our reservations at the Comfort Inn in Sellersburg, Indiana, too!

cfd29
07-22-2011, 05:28 PM
We have reservations in J town in Louisville, that is where our daughter lives, a little farther away, but it's free, or at least I hope it's free :o

ronwhite
07-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Heck, they got a back porch?? Shoot, I'll bring my sleeping bag and a cot!! Ha!

cfd29
07-23-2011, 07:14 AM
They do but it is sure not very big! and if you roll off the edge, it is 30ft down,, ouch

Clark~Griswold
01-20-2012, 04:24 PM
We are seriously thinking about going this year and I have a few questions.
When are most folks going? We would probably drive up Thursday or Friday and come back Monday.
Is everyone ordering the meal package when registering?
Do we need to start a roll call of folks planning to go?

thefab5willisclan
01-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I am hoping to talk the rest of thefab5willisclan into going to this. Of course money is the biggest problem. We ARE a family of five. lol

cfd29
01-20-2012, 09:48 PM
We are going, will drive up on Wednesday, cache around the area on Thursday, we have tickets to the boat ride on Friday, will drive back on Monday

Flyfishingcachers
01-20-2012, 11:17 PM
We are planning on driving up on Friday and sightseeing & caching our way back Sunday & Monday. Guess we are going to get the meal package.

idratherbehiking
01-21-2012, 01:18 PM
I am planning on heading that way on Thursday. Not sure when I will be coming back though. I think I am going to make a big round trip to grab some other states I have not cached in.

Jffok
01-21-2012, 07:53 PM
We are hoping to put a group together from Ft. Smith to make the trip.

Nukeworker
01-22-2012, 12:35 PM
If RBG 's medical issues are stable we hope to make the trip as well. Our first geo-woodstock experience!

arkfiremedic
01-22-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm planning on living on the cheap and experiencing my first Geo-Woodstock as well. Just gonna live in my truck/tent and eat cheap. Gas is supposed to be well above $4.00 by then anyway. Would like to meet up with others from ArkGeo to cache in and around the area as well.

drmo913
01-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Smilin4God, JasonDDickerson, WednesdayAdams & myself have tentatively planned on going.

TURTLEHAWG
02-03-2012, 12:31 AM
we got a room at the Fairfield in Louisville and plan to arrive mid-day Friday. it will be our first GeoWoodstock and we're excited!

guwisti
04-22-2012, 07:52 AM
The Fort Smith area group is going! Should be fishigfool60, secondgunman, Ashallond, JFFOK, Pizzaboy2600 and myself (Guwisti). Pizzaboy and me are heading that way Tuesday night. Stopping in Jonesboro that night, then up to Evansville, IN Wednesday Night with arrival in Louisville on Thursday. Going to visit some distilleries on Thursday since it's Pizzaboy's birthday. The rest of the group, minus Ash who is flying, are heading up through Nashville with arrival on Friday. Ash is landing Friday too. Then all of us are heading back home through Indiana and MO. Staying Sunday night in St. Louis. So we should all pick up quite a few states!! If anyone wants to meet up for eating or whatever. Give us a holler, I believe most of our numbers are in the PAF list. :D I think this is all of ours first GeoWoodstock!

MathSeeker
04-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Woodwalker and I are going. We still do not know for sure exactly when we are leaving. We are staying in Louisville.

Jffok
04-22-2012, 02:35 PM
The Fort Smith area group is going! Should be fishigfool60, secondgunman, Ashallond, JFFOK, Pizzaboy2600 and myself (Guwisti). Pizzaboy and me are heading that way Tuesday night. Stopping in Jonesboro that night, then up to Evansville, IN Wednesday Night with arrival in Louisville on Thursday. Going to visit some distilleries on Thursday since it's Pizzaboy's birthday. The rest of the group, minus Ash who is flying, are heading up through Nashville with arrival on Friday. Ash is landing Friday too. Then all of us are heading back home through Indiana and MO. Staying Sunday night in St. Louis. So we should all pick up quite a few states!! If anyone wants to meet up for eating or whatever. Give us a holler, I believe most of our numbers are in the PAF list. :D I think this is all of ours first GeoWoodstock!

ADD the SunnyArkFamily to the Ft. Smith group.

arkfiremedic
04-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Anyone in ArkGeo planning on camping? I'm torn as to what to do. I've looked at flying, renting a car, motel etc. and it all is a little out of my budget. On a whim I even looked at flying to Maine on May 22 and driving to Louisville to pick up all the states in between (it was cheaper to fly from Memphis to Maine than Memphis to Louisville?? Go figure?!?!) but the drop off fee on all the rental cars I found was about $500 give or take since it was different location from rental. I'm just curious, beside what guwisti posted above, what are everyone's plans?

rklmbl
04-22-2012, 04:29 PM
We plan to leave on Sunday, May 20 and add to our virtual count along the way and drive by a couple of the Kentucky Bourbon distilleries. We would not think about going inside where they make this demon product. ;) Maybe get in a couple of days on the 127 run then back to Louisville for the flashmob at Churchhill Downs and then cache in Cave Hill Cemetery Friday, attend Friday night event, Saturday attend GWX, Sunday flashmob event and then head home probably a different route. We are staying at the HIE Louisville NW New Albany which we think is in Indiana, about 9 miles from GWX.

thefab5willisclan
04-22-2012, 10:20 PM
We will be leaving early friday morning and staying at the ramada in town, then driving back on sunday. I may try to talk the boss into letting me not work on monday and taking my time getting back, grabbing more Caches along the way.This will be our first mega event.

Flyfishingcachers
04-24-2012, 09:37 PM
We are planning on heading out early Friday, arriving for the Friday night registration, staying at Comfort Inn in Sellersburg, and start slowly making our way home Sunday & Monday. Can't wait!!!!